Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 03:41 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times

Advertisements

It seems to me like when you are in a big city, you spend a lot of your resources effectively "competing" with other people, in ways that don't apply as much to smaller cities. Parking is hard to get, housing is costly, and even social events seem difficult for everyone but the skilled extroverts. Comparatively, in smaller cities, people seem to be more personable, socialization is easier, and parking and housing aren't so hard to get.

Has anyone gotten tired of the "competitiveness" of cities and decided to move to a smaller city or even a rural area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 02:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Sure, but that doesn't make me want to move to a small city with less to do, less opportunities, etc.
Small cities are often hard to socialize because people only hangout with their old buddies, big cities offer transplants who are also looking for friend groups. Parking is hard in small cities too, depending on whats going on, or don't offer transit instead of having to drive. Housing can be costly in many small cities.
This seems like a difference between economically depressed areas versus areas experiencing economic growth more than size.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:00 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Watch Parking Wars. Big cities are different worlds.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:08 PM

817 posts, read 626,597 times
To each their own, I guess. I've done it both ways, lived in small rural towns, and in large metropolitan areas. As for myself, you couldn't pay me enough to live in the middle of nowhere with people who are not "competitive" and don't understand what is happening in the rest of the country. In my experience, the heartland of America is filled with naïve persons of this sort. Give me the grubby filthy city any day, where one is on the cutting edge of reality, and where the people have no illusions.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:38 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
To each their own, I guess. I've done it both ways, lived in small rural towns, and in large metropolitan areas. As for myself, you couldn't pay me enough to live in the middle of nowhere with people who are not "competitive" and don't understand what is happening in the rest of the country. In my experience, the heartland of America is filled with naïve persons of this sort. Give me the grubby filthy city any day, where one is on the cutting edge of reality, and where the people have no illusions.
The vast majority don’t live in grubby large cities or naive small towns.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:14 PM

20 posts, read 37,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
This is very black and white. There are plenty of places that are not in the middle of nowhere, not ignorant nor provincial, and yet not a hypercompetitive metro area

Old 06-18-2022, 10:28 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Small cities are often hard to socialize because people only hangout with their old buddies, big cities offer transplants who are also looking for friend groups.
I'd rather have a parking space than a friend any day. In fact I'd sacrifice a few of my friends if it could move me up in one of those big city lines.

But small towns are more relaxed. That's just a fact. The only place in a small town that has the madness of the big city is the local Walmart.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:21 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
If you are wealthy enough, parking isn’t an issue. You valet park, throw the car in the expensive parking garage, or own a $100k parking spot while the poors are circling looking for cheap parking.

Old 06-19-2022, 05:58 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
When I lived in Chicago and I would travel into a busy area, I would take public transit. I didn't have to deal with traffic or parking. I personally value my time and avoid wasteful things like driving around looking for a parking spot.

When I visit Austin Texas, I thought how in the world do people live there and put up with the traffic. It's all about time for me.

I currently live in St Louis and we don't have as many parking and traffic issues. I also live in a walkable neighborhood with access to rapid transit. It's a city plenty to do. As far as the people go I don't have as much interaction with locals who from the suburbs but the transplants are easier to hang out with.

I find St. Louis is a very good balance of big city living with out the hassle.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:33 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Yeah, in an urban city you can walk or take transit to most things. No competition involved.

You don't need to be an extrovert to enjoy gatherings. Some social skill is useful, but if you learn to introduce yourself and spend more time listening than talking you'll do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.