Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 03:13 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What is HCL in SoCal? I can't figure that one out and I grew up and worked in SoCal.
HCL… high cost of living. I lived in Santa Monica within walking distance to the beach for 7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 04:38 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
HCL… high cost of living. I lived in Santa Monica within walking distance to the beach for 7 years.
Thanks, I thought you were talking about a location, LOL

Old 06-29-2022, 07:14 AM

9 posts, read 6,900 times
Tennessee. Lots to do in the state but it gets more crowded, expensive, and dangerous every day.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:18 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-South Mike View Post
Tennessee. Lots to do in the state but it gets more crowded, expensive, and dangerous every day.
Specifically we have the tourist towns of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Great vacation places but I cannot imagine dealing with those towns as a place to live. Of course Nashville is quite touristy too, crowded and too many people moving there. Every southern state has an overgrown place like Nashville....we are not the only state in the south living with this problem.

As long as the political refugees from the blue states continue to arrive we will be dealing with this out of control growth. Hopefully we are getting close to a point where everyone who doesn’t want to live in a blue state has moved already and this mass migration will slow down. When the dust settles on all this moving south it will likely show to be one of the greatest movements of people in US history, maybe rivaling the great migration or the dust bowl moves.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:55 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
South Florida to me is the definition of this. It's a great place to go and relax, escape the Northeast winter, party, and enjoy a long weekend. I go every year. However, I'd never want to live there in a million years.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:10 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's funny, because I just got back from a vacation in Charleston, SC, and I'd absolutely put it in that box. It was fun for a week, but I'd hate living there. The real estate prices are too high (at least in the urban parts of the city we stayed in...wouldn't want to live out in the suburbs), the job market simply isn't that dynamic, the city felt catered to a different kind of person than us (like preppy 25-40 year old women on balconette parties or something) and were pretty quickly exhausting things to do by the end of the week. Not to mention the weather was pretty awful when we were there (high of 96 two of the days - would never have gone then if not for the fact that was when the kiddos were out of school).

IMHO people who say "wouldn't want to live there" about places like NYC are just saying their personal preference. But in more small, tourist-dominated cities it gets objectively hard, because things like short-term rental housing, rich people with second homes, retirees, etc. just make finding an affordable unit anywhere within the urban core very difficult. The problem is particularly acute because tourist-dominated economies primarily create lower-wage jobs, who explicitly cannot afford to live in the touristy areas.
West Ashley is the most populated part of the city. James Island, the part where I live, is also in the city. Charleston city grew by 25% from 2010 to 2020, and wages and other income increased significantly, but yes, the 342-year-old historic district’s mansions are out of reach for the average Charlestonian. We enjoy just looking at them and the water.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:42 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
South Florida to me is the definition of this. It's a great place to go and relax, escape the Northeast winter, party, and enjoy a long weekend. I go every year. However, I'd never want to live there in a million years.
I don't disagree with you, but I'm curious as to why you say this.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:43 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Florida is like this for my wife and I. We visit there at least once a year and have talked about moving there but living there year round just doesn't seem ideal. Vacationing is one thing but living there would mean dealing with all the bugs year round, lack of typical seasons, much higher cost of living, much hotter summers, and a number of other things.

Old 07-09-2022, 10:53 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
When we were looking to relocate, we were seriously considering Grand Junction on Colorado's western slope. We even went to look at property. There were some odd things about the place but that is normal. There was some kind of water issue as well. Finally, my wife said she would not move there because it was too touristy. I was surprised by that assessment, but I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. There are some tourist hotspots nearby, but I thought those were a good thing -- something to do and places to take visitors. I still go there to fish on Grand Mesa every few years.

Old 07-22-2022, 01:08 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's funny, because I just got back from a vacation in Charleston, SC, and I'd absolutely put it in that box. It was fun for a week, but I'd hate living there. The real estate prices are too high (at least in the urban parts of the city we stayed in...wouldn't want to live out in the suburbs), the job market simply isn't that dynamic, the city felt catered to a different kind of person than us (like preppy 25-40 year old women on balconette parties or something) and were pretty quickly exhausting things to do by the end of the week. Not to mention the weather was pretty awful when we were there (high of 96 two of the days - would never have gone then if not for the fact that was when the kiddos were out of school).

IMHO people who say "wouldn't want to live there" about places like NYC are just saying their personal preference. But in more small, tourist-dominated cities it gets objectively hard, because things like short-term rental housing, rich people with second homes, retirees, etc. just make finding an affordable unit anywhere within the urban core very difficult. The problem is particularly acute because tourist-dominated economies primarily create lower-wage jobs, who explicitly cannot afford to live in the touristy areas.
I felt that way about Charleston, too! And Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.