Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philadelphia still a tier 1 US city?
Yes 108 61.36%
No 68 38.64%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 04:42 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
DC's influence is limited to fed gov and think tanks. DC is also known for the black professional crowd. But it's influence is very muted outside of these three things.

More on topic, Philly is still a tier 1 city. It just doesn't have the explosive growth of the Sun Belt nor dominates its region (Northeast).
Agree with everything here in regards to DC and Philly. Philly is still a fantastic city despite its lumps and relative lack of prestige.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 05:03 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
DC's influence is limited to fed gov and think tanks. DC is also known for the black professional crowd. But it's influence is very muted outside of these three things.

More on topic, Philly is still a tier 1 city. It just doesn't have the explosive growth of the Sun Belt nor dominates its region (Northeast).
DC's also known as the top city for law practice in the country with more lawyers per capita ahead of NYC, LA, and Chicago.

It's also top 3 news media hub in the United States.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ngeles-or-d-c/

There are other industries outside of those such as life sciences in the suburbs, and others based around tech etc,. but DC doesn't even really need those to remain as relevant as it is due to dominating an already dominate industry.

Yes with the topic of the thread being about Philly though, let's stay on the influence of that city.

Old 12-29-2022, 05:14 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Tier 1A- NYC
Tier 1B- LA
Tier 2A- SF, Chicago, DC,
Tier 2B - Boston, Houston
Tier 2C - Philly, Atlanta, Dallas Miami, Seattle
Pretty good, except replace swap Houston and Atlanta.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:21 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Pretty good, except replace swap Houston and Atlanta.
Why?

Old 12-29-2022, 08:31 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Why?
I guess is you’re weighting cultural heft Atlanta is kind of the historic capital of the South.

For example, the highest grossing movie of all time took place in Atlanta. MLK, from Atlanta The SEC opens its season in Atlanta, Delta, when it became a real airline moved from Mississippi.. to Atlanta not Houston. Hank Aaron played for Atlanta.

So for many of the same reasons people list Philly above it’s “rightful” GDP perch you can make similar arguments for Atlanta

Old 12-29-2022, 08:35 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Why?
This.
⬇️
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I guess is you’re weighting cultural heft Atlanta is kind of the historic capital of the South.

For example, the highest grossing movie of all time took place in Atlanta. MLK, from Atlanta The SEC opens its season in Atlanta, Delta, when it became a real airline moved from Mississippi.. to Atlanta not Houston. Hank Aaron played for Atlanta.

So for many of the same reasons people list Philly above it’s “rightful” GDP perch you can make similar arguments for Atlanta

Old 12-29-2022, 09:01 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

I would still place Houston in front of Atlanta. Atlanta's advantages include being the De facto capital of Black America and being the "it" city for the SE like Chicago in the Midwest. Also, being a media capital for television stations and movies makes it a clear #8 IMO. I'm not trying to argue with anyone else's opinion though.

I'm not touching the GDP, global outlook and trajectory because I've already discussed those factors in another thread.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:11 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I would still place Houston in front of Atlanta. Atlanta's advantages include being the De facto capital of Black America and being the "it" city for the SE like Chicago in the Midwest. Also, being a media capital for television stations and movies makes it a clear #8 IMO. I'm not trying to argue with anyone else's opinion though.

I'm not touching the GDP, global outlook and trajectory because I've already discussed those factors in another thread.
So you would rank Atlanta ahead of Philly?
Which would be your #9? Philly, DFW or Miami?

Old 12-29-2022, 09:22 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
So you would rank Atlanta ahead of Philly?
Which would be your #9? Philly, DFW or Miami?
When I'm ranking these cities, I use the following factors:

Industry, Population, GDP, Influence, Trajectory, Economic Outlook, Global Involvement and I also look at how global reports analyzed the cities.

Regarding #9 IMO, I got Dallas ahead of Philly with Miami slightly ahead of Seattle. My methodology may not be perfect that's how I rank my cities. I place a great deal of emphasis on all of those factors. How do you rank 8-11?

Old 12-30-2022, 12:41 AM

833 posts, read 453,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This.
⬇️
I wouldn’t say any of that is enough to put Atlanta over Houston, which has a higher economic output and is the center of the US energy industry. Houston is also more diverse and internationally oriented than Atlanta is as well and this also shows in the cultural and culinary stage for comparing the two cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.