Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philadelphia still a tier 1 US city?
Yes 108 61.36%
No 68 38.64%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 09:35 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not arguing the order of Philly, Dallas and Atlanta. But why do some base a ranking solely on GDP and Fortune 500s?... Yes, Dallas has the largest economy, but Philly and Atlanta have massive economies, they are all even in per capita GDP, and Philly outranks Dallas and Atlanta in per capita total personal income.

My point, there are sooo many other factors at play when it comes to "tier ranking" cities.

What about history, culture, higher education, economic niches, diversity, food, politics, sports, tourism? etc...
I have to say though 25% bigger is getting to the point where no matter what you think of the Philly Cheesesteak or Philadelphia Flyers or whatever Dallas has an argument.

Also considering Texas BBQ is more or less Dallas BBQ, Dallas has an argument for having the more influential food scene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 10:26 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Philly 2020 GDP was $478 billion. DFW GDP was $609 billion. Not even close. DFW also far out does Atlanta.
LA has larger GDP (PPP) than London

Jakarta has a larger GDP (PPP) than Chicago

Sao Paulo has a larger GDP (PPP) than DC

GDP doesn't indicate soft vs. hard power which have very real world implications. Industry is what matter at these levels of cities.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:29 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I have to say though 25% bigger is getting to the point where no matter what you think of the Philly Cheesesteak or Philadelphia Flyers or whatever Dallas has an argument.

Also considering Texas BBQ is more or less Dallas BBQ, Dallas has an argument for having the more influential food scene
The GDPs align to the population in the case of these MSAs. Take a look at the Per Captia. While Dallas has the larger GDP, it's also approaching 8 million people. Dallas edges Atlanta, Houston, and Philadelphia in that department but I'd argue that it's least influential city of the four...and by a good margin.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Lol. Houston is a bigger economy and a bigger region that is significantly more diverse and a bigger international player. It also has complete domination over a major industry and is ahead of Atlanta regarding cultural and culinary amenities. Being the center of a region with no similarly sized city for 500 miles isn’t enough to overcome this. The hard facts also show Houston ahead (GDP, etc.) but I’m not gonna get into those since they have been done time and time again on this board.

That’s all I’ll say since Atlanta vs Houston is not the thread at hand.
This is vastly true but Atlanta is much more important to the SE region than Houston is in its area. Internationally, Houston is ahead of Atlanta but most global experts rank Atlanta ahead of Houston on the most recent global rankings and trajectory. I think Atlanta does an excellent job of attracting International HQs. Where Atlanta have Houston beat is in media and being the cultural captial for Black America. Yet, I would place Houston #7 due to its role in energy and Atlanta right behind it.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
LA has larger GDP (PPP) than London

Jakarta has a larger GDP (PPP) than Chicago

Sao Paulo has a larger GDP (PPP) than DC

GDP doesn't indicate soft vs. hard power which have very real world implications. Industry is what matter at these levels of cities.
No PPP is just not great in projecting influence because PPP adjustments mean nothing outside the local area.

However I also think São Paulo, as the Primate city of South America is pretty important

Last edited by btownboss4; 12-30-2022 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-30-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
The GDPs align to the population in the case of these MSAs. Take a look at the Per Captia. While Dallas has the larger GDP, it's also approaching 8 million people. Dallas edges Atlanta, Houston, and Philadelphia in that department but I'd argue that it's least influential city of the four...and by a good margin.
Per Capita GDP variance is pretty minimal on the scale of things. It’s not like one is DC and the other Jackson MS. They’re all pretty much the American Average.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Per Capita GDP variance is pretty minimal on the scale of things. It’s not like one is DC and the other Jackson MS. They’re all pretty much the American Average.
That wasn't the point. Each MSA pretty much produces similar results relative to population.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
That wasn't the point. Each MSA pretty much produces similar results relative to population.
I mean like Hartford has higher GDP per capita than Atlanta by almost 20% but I don’t think Hartford is particularly important. Raw size matters

Old 12-30-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I mean like Hartford has higher GDP per capita than Atlanta by almost 20% but I don’t think Hartford is particularly important. Raw size matters
Never said it didn't, again you're missing the point. I've already said that Dallas had the edge there when it comes to raw numbers.

Old 12-30-2022, 11:10 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
I agree with you there, but I see his point.

That's why I keep saying, gotta use data in context.

The larger GDP numbers has its flaws and so do per capita.

A large GDP may just be a result of a large population.
Conversely we can't place too much emphasis on per capita when tiny areas may have higher percentages buy the area is so small it doesn't register in the importance list.

I believe you need to look at raw numbers to select the players in the game, the from those players select the stars.

DFW has a larger GDP than Philadelphia but I still think Philly is the more important city. Not because of history or pedestrian foolishness, but because of its industries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.