Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philadelphia still a tier 1 US city?
Yes 108 61.36%
No 68 38.64%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 11:45 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
It's not a matter of anyone not liking your use of PPP, it's a matter of your statement being untrue.

PPP and PCI are not the same thing, so even though you may have meant PCI the statement is still untrue as Philly does not have a higher PPP and what you said was PPP.

And you didn't just say higher, you said SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER. It's not higher at all.100% untrue.

And it's not just Numbeo, ichose Numbeo because they have a full list of cities big and small. All you have to do is Google PPP and you will see that there is not one list that has Philly ahead by PPP. Your statement may not have been intentional incorrect, as it seems you meant PCI instead of PPP, but it is incorrect nevertheless.

If Philly had a higher PPP than sunbelt cities people from the NE would go there instead of the sunbelt. Philly and Chicago are cheap for classical cities, but they're PPP is still not as high as you think. Philly has a higher PPP than Miami because Miami is not affordable and Philly is nearing Parity with Atlanta but Houston and DFW are still way ahead.

PPP is calculated per 1/4 BTW so you should be able to find at about 3 reports for 2022
I never said it was a matter of liking. First the dramatics of (false) percentage-based truth ratings, then to propping up a straw man.

You quoted an entire paragraph in which I was largely talking about PCI and said it was 100% untrue. It was false for you to reply to my paragraph and say "100% untrue." You may have meant to be more specific in your critique, but responding to an entire paragraph by saying "100% untrue" was incorrect.

If you read the paragraph, when I said "purchasing power," it was clearly in reference to the per capita income adjusted for cost of living -- not cost of living alone. In fact, a Merriam-Webster definition matches this well: the amount of money that a person or group has available to spend

A higher PCI adjusted for CoL means a higher amount of money that a person or group (read: those in the Philadelphia metro area) has to spend.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...hasing%20power
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 12:09 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
What local niche or culture does Chicago or Dallas have that is widely known or identifiable? How does their presence dominate outside of it's region and DC not? The federal government has nationwide and worldwide influence. You're not making any sense.
Dallas to me is the capital of Cowboy culture. IT's very Texan and flashy as well. Chicago is the capital of the midwest. I have DC ahead of both.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The bears and home alone are both in Chicago, everyone knows Obama and Winfrey are from Chicago. The accent is also obviously Chicago and I hear it in commercials all the time. MOST of us also know CHICAGO the play and I’m sure when I type that you can envision the typeface that has become associated with CHICAGO…there’s no DC equivalent. (FWIW there is/was an actual ‘Chicago’ font it was used in the original iPad and all over Apple products for a decade+)
This is a serious downplay.

I’m gonna be real I know DC has monument but the only one I know by name is the Lincoln memorial. Again- I knew of the sears tower and the bean before I knew of the rest of them. Like I couldn’t name any of them without a google search and I’ve been there (maybe that part is me, I can concede that) But I knew of the White House and Capitol building. Even if I erroneously confused them.

You wanna go international- alright I can’t argue theat since I’m not international- but the point still stands domestically. That’s was really my only point and what I mean by sphere of influence. it’s not known as the city for as wide an area- make sense- it’s a smaller CSA and MSA. And has far fewer distinctive things that aren’t related to the federal government - that’s pretty easy to say definitively.

The sphere of influence is what put it in 2b or 3 as opposed to 2a or 2, for me and maybe some other who put it in tier 3. Can’t speak for them.
Actually not sure if you're serious. Chicago font? And you don't know of the Jefferson or Washington monument? When people say the Capitol, they're referring to the one in DC. Pentagon.

A lot of people confuse the Sears Tower with John Hancock. Chicago is arguably my favorite city but the Bean was underwhelming, especially compared to the Washington monuments.

Old 12-31-2022, 05:29 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Actually not sure if you're serious. Chicago font? And you don't know of the Jefferson or Washington monument? When people say the Capitol, they're referring to the one in DC. Pentagon.

A lot of people confuse the Sears Tower with John Hancock. Chicago is arguably my favorite city but the Bean was underwhelming, especially compared to the Washington monuments.
I honestly could not tell you the difference if you asked me right now. 100% serious. You telling me there’s a ‘Jefferson Monument’ now is a reminder because had you asked me to name the Monument’s…-I wouldn’t have said ‘Jefferson’.

I know and can name the Bean, I even kind of know where it is in the city. I’m sure it’s underwhelming, it looks underwhelming, I’d never visit it. But I know it exists…The Washington Monuments- to my surprise, we’re mostly in Virginia. Like the Pentagon. Idk how many people who aren’t into government (which I seems like a niche interest) really are aware of these things…probably more internationally? I really don’t know. DC is obviously a very popular tourist destination though.

The John Hancock tower? Where in Boston? Is there one in Chicago?

And yes, the font from the Broadway production- CHICAGO the musical. But yes also I remember the actual Chicago font.

When people say “the Capitol” I assume they’re talking about the Capitol building or their state capital (especially before January 6). My mind would not automatically go to DC as a city.

Old 12-31-2022, 08:26 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,874,754 times
If they say capitol they pretty clearly mean the building unless they're ESL (if so, my admiration) or bad spellers.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:00 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I never said it was a matter of liking. First the dramatics of (false) percentage-based truth ratings, then to propping up a straw man.

You quoted an entire paragraph in which I was largely talking about PCI and said it was 100% untrue. It was false for you to reply to my paragraph and say "100% untrue." You may have meant to be more specific in your critique, but responding to an entire paragraph by saying "100% untrue" was incorrect.

If you read the paragraph, when I said "purchasing power," it was clearly in reference to the per capita income adjusted for cost of living -- not cost of living alone. In fact, a Merriam-Webster definition matches this well: the amount of money that a person or group has available to spend

A higher PCI adjusted for CoL means a higher amount of money that a person or group (read: those in the Philadelphia metro area) has to spend.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...hasing%20power
I’d like to point out PCI assumes people like never leave their hometown. So sure people in Seattle making $102,000 a year and someone in Philly making $77,000 a year might have the same purchasing power at home. But assuming they both save 10% of their income for a vacation, there is a huge gap in purchasing power when they go to Key West or whatever.

Or if you’re a Vermont ski resort even if PPP adjusted Boston and Montreal are on even terms (I don’t think even then they are). Killington isn’t Boston or Montreal. And Bostonians have more money to blow at the same prices at the resort/in town.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:29 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
I honestly could not tell you the difference if you asked me right now. 100% serious. You telling me there’s a ‘Jefferson Monument’ now is a reminder because had you asked me to name the Monument’s…-I wouldn’t have said ‘Jefferson’.

I know and can name the Bean, I even kind of know where it is in the city. I’m sure it’s underwhelming, it looks underwhelming, I’d never visit it. But I know it exists…The Washington Monuments- to my surprise, we’re mostly in Virginia. Like the Pentagon. Idk how many people who aren’t into government (which I seems like a niche interest) really are aware of these things…probably more internationally? I really don’t know. DC is obviously a very popular tourist destination though.

And yes, the font from the Broadway production- CHICAGO the musical. But yes also I remember the actual Chicago font.

When people say “the Capitol” I assume they’re talking about the Capitol building or their state capital (especially before January 6). My mind would not automatically go to DC as a city.
Not sure what point you're trying to make. You do realize people go to NYC not knowing the difference between the Chrysler building and the Empire State Building don't you? Washington's monuments instantly tell you what city it is on a postcard, regardless of name recognition of a precise building. This would apply to all cities when it comes to city recognition vs an individual building.

America's favorite architecture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...e_Architecture

Appearances in the top 100:
New York City: 25 (9 in the top 30)
Washington DC: 14 (9 in the top 30)
Chicago: 10 (0 in the top 30)
Los Angeles: 4
Philadelphia: 4
Boston: 3 (cambridge 1)
San Francisco: 4
Miami Beach: 2
St. Louis: 2
Las Vegas, Pittsburgh, Denver, Atlanta each with 1.

Boston and Philadelphia both with at least 1 in the top 30 which is more than Chicago.

Old 01-01-2023, 07:33 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Not sure what point you're trying to make. You do realize people go to NYC not knowing the difference between the Chrysler building and the Empire State Building don't you? Washington's monuments instantly tell you what city it is on a postcard, regardless of name recognition of a precise building. This would apply to all cities when it comes to city recognition vs an individual building.

Boston and Philadelphia both with at least 1 in the top 30 which is more than Chicago.
He asked me a question and I answered it truthfully. So I’m not sure what ‘point’ you think I’m trying to make about these monuments. You’re guess is as good as mine

And really absolutely none of this has to do with sphere of influence as I intended it. I could go on forever about all the things I recognize or known to be Chicagos (didn’t even mention the Chicago Dog, Cabrini-Green) before I really get to things I know of as DC, especially before I moved there- but that’s not the point of the thread.

Old 01-02-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Yea. You need to do a dc monument tour sometime. Are you the same Boston poster that thinks LA doesn’t have any good restaurants?

And yes Hancock tower in Chicago. I think it’s chicagos tallest or second tallest building. The fact that you didn’t know what I was referring to sort of makes my point. Honestly didn’t know there was one in Boston. Love Bostons skyline but I wouldn’t be able to point out which building it was

Old 01-02-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Certain cities are instantly recognizable if you show them one picture. SF, DC, Vegas , NYC, Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.