Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 09:27 AM

21,632 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Boston area has some VERY white patches/swaths:

The South Shore Route 3 and East (Irish Riviera)
far northeastern shore//Cape Ann (WASPs/John Cena).

^Many towns are 88%+ white. but feel whiter.

The most diverse areas are:
Inside 128 (Mix)
MetroWest (Chinese/Indian)
Merrimack Valley (Dominican/Puerto Rican)
Route 24 Corridor (Black)

Whitest of the top 10 but for the top 50 not so much. Thatd go to the Midwest mostly, and maybe parts of appalaicha/upland south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 10:16 AM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaletown View Post
Is there a sizable Asian population in the core city?
In the area near CMU (i.e. North Oakland, Shadyside, etc.), yes. Outside of that, not so much.

Pittsburgh metro as a whole is VERY white, even more white than other comparable Midwest metropolitan areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston area has some VERY white patches/swaths:

The South Shore Route 3 and East (Irish Riviera)
far northeastern shore//Cape Ann (WASPs/John Cena).

^Many towns are 88%+ white. but feel whiter.

The most diverse areas are:
Inside 128 (Mix)
MetroWest (Chinese/Indian)
Merrimack Valley (Dominican/Puerto Rican)
Route 24 Corridor (Black)

Whitest of the top 10 but for the top 50 not so much. Thatd go to the Midwest mostly, and maybe parts of appalaicha/upland south.
I was looking through the number in this link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta is whiter than Dallas, Houston, Miami, and New York.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ad-reboot.html
And was surprised that for the Top 10 metro, Philly is the 2nd whitest after Boston. But then Philly is also basically Hispanics/AfAm within the city limit (Except South Philly and Center City) but 100% white outside of that, except a few areas like Camden NJ or Chester.

But yes, Boston metro as a whole is not THAT white compare to some of the Midwest metros thanks mainly to its sizeable Hispanics and Asians population. Midwest metros (except Chicago) are often very white b/c they are basically White and Black with nothing else.

Last edited by ion475; 07-05-2022 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-05-2022, 10:39 AM

93,335 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Except the OP is looking at Metro Area, not within city limit.

Detroit? Outside of Detroit city limit and perhaps Southfield it's very white.

St Louis? Good luck finding a non-White out in St Charles County MO.

Memphis? Go to Germantown TN and tell me how many non-White person are there.

San Antonio and Miami feels more non-white to me thanks to the large Hispanic population in both. White still forms a plurality in both DC Metro area (Lots of them are in NoVA even though the area itself is also somewhat diverse with Asian and Hispanics) and also Atlanta metro area (North of I-20 is basically all White mixed in Asians and Hispanics particularly in Gwinnett County).
Not necessarily true. Look up places such as Inkster, Oak Park, Harper Woods, Hamtramck, Highland Park, Ecorse, River Rouge, Mount Clemens, Farmington/Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield, Garden City, Westland, Redford, Pontiac, Auburn Hills, Novi, Belleville/Van Buren Township, Romulus, Taylor, Warren, Eastpointe, Wayne, even towns like Canton and rural Sumpter, among some others.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily true. Look up places such as Inkster, Oak Park, Harper Woods, Hamtramck, Highland Park, Ecorse, River Rouge, Mount Clemens, Farmington/Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield, Garden City, Westland, Redford, Pontiac, Auburn Hills, Novi, Belleville/Van Buren Township, Romulus, Taylor, Warren, Eastpointe, Wayne, even towns like Canton and rural Sumpter, among some others.
I stand corrected especially on places like Novi and Troy. At times I forgot about the people from ME at Hamtramck and also the AAPI population in cities like Novi.

Then there is Inkster...result of years of segregation.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:08 AM

21,632 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
In the area near CMU (i.e. North Oakland, Shadyside, etc.), yes. Outside of that, not so much.

Pittsburgh metro as a whole is VERY white, even more white than other comparable Midwest metropolitan areas.

I was looking through the number in this link:

And was surprised that for the Top 10 metro, Philly is the 2nd whitest after Boston. But then Philly is also basically Hispanics/AfAm within the city limit (Except South Philly and Center City) but 100% white outside of that, except a few areas like Camden NJ or Chester.

But yes, Boston metro as a whole is not THAT white compare to some of the Midwest metros thanks mainly to its sizeable Hispanics and Asians population. Midwest metros (except Chicago) are often very white b/c they are basically White and Black with nothing else.
Yea I think Boston Metro is more diverse than Phillys outside of the core city (which take up a larger poriton of the Philly Metro than Boston does the Boston Metro)

Massachusetts as a whole, even without Boston or the core 128, is more diverse than Pennsylvania is with Philadelphia.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I think Boston Metro is more diverse than Phillys outside of the core city (which take up a larger poriton of the Philly Metro than Boston does the Boston Metro)

Massachusetts as a whole, even without Boston or the core 128, is more diverse than Pennsylvania is with Philadelphia.
Is that true? I ask that thinking of places like Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Reading, Allentown, Bethlehem, Erie, Easton, the Stroudsburgs, Wilkes Barre, Lebanon, Hazelton, Uniontown, Washington and even places like Scranton, Williamsport, Johnstown, State College, Chambersburg, Carlisle, New Castle, Sharon, Farrell, etc. Almost all of these places have good sized black and/or Hispanic populations, with State College having a decent Asian population(likely due to Penn State) and some have suburbs outside of them that are similar(particularly outside of Harrisburg, the Stroudsburgs and a few others). This isn't even considering Philadelphia and its suburbs/satellite cities. Same with Pittsburgh and some of the surrounding places around it like Aliquippa, Beaver Falls, Midland, Ambridge, Wilkinsburg, Monroeville, Rankin, Homestead, McKeesport, Swissvale, the Braddocks, Duquesne, etc.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:32 AM

2,545 posts, read 2,866,901 times
Growing up I visited my mom's side of the family in Buffalo frequently and spent a lot of time in various inner-ring suburbs (West Seneca, Orchard Park, Lancaster, Depew). It wasn't uncommon to have a weeklong visit during the 90s or early 2000s and not cross paths with a single black person (and only rarely another POC).

I did some rough calculations and found the part of Erie County, NY outside of the city of Buffalo to currently be 86-87% white.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Growing up I visited my mom's side of the family in Buffalo frequently and spent a lot of time in various inner-ring suburbs (West Seneca, Orchard Park, Lancaster, Depew). It wasn't uncommon to have a weeklong visit during the 90s or early 2000s and not cross paths with a single black person (and only rarely another POC).

I did some rough calculations and found the part of Erie County, NY outside of the city of Buffalo to currently be 86-87% white.
Yeah outside of Lackawanna(1st Ward/West Side), parts of Amherst, Cheektowaga and maybe to a lesser degree Tonawanda, it is pretty much a sprinkle elsewhere. It is slowly changing though.

If you add Niagara County, it is pretty much Niagara Falls, Lockport and maybe parts of the town of Niagara, with some sprinkled elsewhere.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is that true? I ask that thinking of places like Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Reading, Allentown, Bethlehem, Erie, Easton, the Stroudsburgs, Wilkes Barre, Lebanon, Hazelton, Uniontown, Washington and even places like Scranton, Williamsport, Johnstown, State College, Chambersburg, Carlisle, New Castle, Sharon, Farrell, etc. Almost all of these places have good sized black and/or Hispanic populations, with State College having a decent Asian population(likely due to Penn State) and some have suburbs outside of them that are similar(particularly outside of Harrisburg, the Stroudsburgs and a few others). This isn't even considering Philadelphia and its suburbs/satellite cities. Same with Pittsburgh and some of the surrounding places around it like Aliquippa, Beaver Falls, Midland, Ambridge, Wilkinsburg, Monroeville, Rankin, Homestead, McKeesport, Swissvale, the Braddocks, Duquesne, etc.
Adding on - demographic wise I don't really see a big difference between the like of Springfield/Holyoke or Worcester compare to Allentown or Reading or Lancaster PA. Areas like Leominster/Fitchburg are similar to Wilkes-Barre (if anything Wilkes-Barre has more AfAm).

Sure, the middle Appalachia part of Pennsylvania is not very diverse, but Pennsylvania is also a much larger state in terms of area.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:08 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Least white i’ve been to in person has to be San Antonio, you really cannot beat that, although the northern burbs that largely dominate are whiter than the metro as a whole, while the Southern half of the city is a lot closer to 90%+ Hispanic.

Out of the major cities, I’ve been to Denver’s airport struck me as being very white, but I’ve only really been to Aurora within Colorado and for a short time, and I’m pretty sure that s the leas rehire part of the MSA, although northern Aurora seemed decently white too. Of metros I’ve spent an extended period of time, probably Austin is the obvious one, especially West of Moscow although it seems to be changing a little around the metro.

Neither Orlando or Tampa felt particularly white but Tampa may be whiter than Austin. I didn’t go to the northern suburbs or the peninsula when I was in that area either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.