Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 06:26 PM

817 posts, read 628,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Cities with large Asian Populations feel whiter vs. cities with large African American populations.
This reminds me of a conversation I had recently with some guy at my girlfriend's college, he kept going on about how my relationship (WMAF) was not actually interracial because my Asian gf is "White adjacent" and Asians are not really POC but "becoming White". It was difficult to hold back my laughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 06:32 PM

817 posts, read 628,146 times
I'm noticing lots of discussion here about Pittsburgh, what's interesting is that Pittsburgh and it's metro is not only very White but it's the least Hispanic city/metro in the country. Even the infamous Whitest city/metro Portland has more Hispanics than Pittsburgh.

Old 07-05-2022, 06:46 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
This reminds me of a conversation I had recently with some guy at my girlfriend's college, he kept going on about how my relationship (WMAF) was not actually interracial because my Asian gf is "White adjacent" and Asians are not really POC but "becoming White". It was difficult to hold back my laughter.
I think it has more to do with White/Asian segregation is lower so if you Visit Cleveland and the metro is 80% white the city is nowhere near that. Seattle and greater Seattle are much more similar. So it feels a lot whiter.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 794,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
El Paso and the RGV are even less white. They are <10% white I believe.
Neither makes Top 50 metro area, though.

If anything Honolulu is also very non-white, but it is not big enough to be part of this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think it has more to do with White/Asian segregation is lower so if you Visit Cleveland and the metro is 80% white the city is nowhere near that. Seattle and greater Seattle are much more similar. So it feels a lot whiter.
It depends on where. Seattle having more recent movement from its Asian population (mainly from the growth of tech industry) has its White and Asian literally integrated. Meanwhile older large Asian (particularly East Asian) destinations like SF or NYC or even LA definitely has well define Asian area.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:56 PM

638 posts, read 349,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Personally I think the white adjacent thing is a bit silly. But I think there is some truth in that.

Asian's in the United States are mostly successful.. Asian Americans are not really considered "people of color" anymore in the United States. The most exclusive schools and top programs are dominated by Asian Americans.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 07-05-2022 at 08:06 PM..

Old 07-05-2022, 09:39 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Neither makes Top 50 metro area, though.

If anything Honolulu is also very non-white, but it is not big enough to be part of this discussion.

It depends on where. Seattle having more recent movement from its Asian population (mainly from the growth of tech industry) has its White and Asian literally integrated. Meanwhile older large Asian (particularly East Asian) destinations like SF or NYC or even LA definitely has well define Asian area.
That was part of the reason, I didn't include them. I've actually been out to Honolulu as well. I do think that once the RGV becomes a unified metro (SpaceX may push Brownsville/Harlingen with McAllen/Edinburgh to merge as Brownsville has been really sluggish growing as of recently). But that area as well as El Paso haven't been growing nearly as fast as demographics of the Texas Triangle, which has such a high concentration of jobs. So it might take a while for any sorta merge to happen.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:04 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Seattle is pretty even between the city and the metro area. White and Asian are the largest two groups for both the city and metro area. Good Asian restaurants are everywhere across the city and suburbs, not just in enclaves.
Not really. Bellevue, Redmond, Lynnwood, Tukwila, Renton, Kent, Auburn, Federal Way, Burien, Spanaway, Des Moines, White Center, and Lakewood are all fairly significantly less non-Hispanic white than Seattle is according to Census data. There may be even more suburbs I’m missing. Either way, that’s a huge chunk of the non-Seattle proper metro. Tacoma is just a bit less NH white than Seattle but interestingly, still more NH white than most of the above suburbs at about 58% There are also other parts of the metro that are whiter than Seattle, a bit more far flung though for the most part.

The Hispanic population in Seattle proper (7%) is really low compared to many of the suburbs particularly in south King County.

Last edited by Bluefox; 07-05-2022 at 11:20 PM..

Old 07-05-2022, 11:09 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
SF always scream to me as a metro area with large AAPI population more than being white. White is not even a majority (only a plurality at something like 40%) in the whole Bay Area.

The SF proper is not even that white, either, at 42% White and 33% Asian.

The metro areas that scream "white" to me are usually in the Midwest anyway. Even a metro area like Indy (which does have a sizable AfAm population in "inner city") is 70% White. For comparison Seattle metro area is only ~60% White thanks to Asians forming 15% of the population.
I didn’t say that Seattle and SF seem to be the whitest overall, just that they’re interesting cases in that the city proper seems to be whiter than the overall metro area.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:10 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Pittsburgh definitely seems to be the whitest large metropolitan area in the country. The city proper is still very "zebra" (roughly 2/3 white, roughly 1/4 African-American, and then the remainder is just a few percentage points each of Asian, Hispanic, and Mixed Race). The entire metropolitan area "feels" about 90% white, non-Hispanic overall, and if I had to look up the stats I would guess the actual percentage is not much lower than that.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:13 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Quote:
Detroit? Outside of Detroit city limit and perhaps Southfield it's very white.
Detroit is kind of a weird case because of the large Middle Eastern population there, which is counted as "white" on the census but largely don't consider themselves white and aren't treated as such. It is true that the suburbs have few blacks as a whole, although some of the southwest suburbs as well as Pontiac to the north have sizable black populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.