Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2022, 02:14 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I would guess people making $250,000 prefer larger homes if they are buying and Class A buildings if they are renting. Neither of those things are prevalent EOTR. I would assume the only areas with households making over $250,000 EOTR mostly live in Hill Crest and Penn Branch which have large single family detached houses. Am I right?
Yeah, but Black professionals earning at least $250,000 annually are buying houses in Central DC, which does not have larger homes. Why aren't they opting to buy comparably sized homes in Southeast considering it's DC's new version of Harlem, as you say?

In Brooklyn, 48.5% of Black professionals making at least $250,000 live between Ft. Greene and Bedford-Stuyvesant. In Manhattan, 35.3% of Black professionals making at least $250,000 annually elect to live in Harlem. Does EOTR not have the same desirability among the highest earning Black professionals in the DC area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 02:21 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, but Black professionals earning at least $250,000 annually are buying houses in Central DC, which does not have larger homes. Why aren't they opting to buy comparably sized homes in Southeast considering it's DC's new version of Harlem, as you say?

In Brooklyn, 48.5% of Black professionals making at least $250,000 live between Ft. Greene and Bedford-Stuyvesant. In Manhattan, 35.3% of Black professionals making at least $250,000 annually elect to live in Harlem. Does EOTR not have the same desirability among the highest earning Black professionals in the DC area?
I would guess because the amenities are coming and not there yet. Fortunately, EOTR is in a position to say that which truly makes it unique. Will Black households making $250,000 or more choose to live EOTR after the coming amenities arrive? That’s to be determined. We will see won’t we.

One of the biggest differences between EOTR businesses coming and businesses that gentrified west of the river neighborhoods in the 2000’s and 2010’s is that the businesses coming EOTR are overwhelmingly Black owned and targeted towards Black people which wasn’t the case west of the river.

What you won’t find in Harlem is a community where almost everyone looks like you. Unapologetically Black in all things. That’s what I and everyone I and everyone I know EOTR loves about living there. I live in Ward 7 and it is 91% Black.

Old 07-13-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I would guess because the amenities are coming and not there yet. Fortunately, EOTR is in a position to say that which truly makes it unique. Will Black households making $250,000 or more choose to live EOTR after the coming amenities arrive? That’s to be determined. We will see won’t we.
What amenities would bring them EOTR? Do you think Skyland will ever be as walkable as U Street and Adams-Morgan? Or have some of the most popular restaurants in the city with celebrity chefs from NYC?

Old 07-13-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
What amenities would bring them EOTR? Do you think Skyland will ever be as walkable as U Street and Adams-Morgan? Or have some of the most popular restaurants in the city with celebrity chefs from NYC?
No not Skyland, but Downtown Ward 7 is absolutely a game changer for EOTR. This is pointless to talk about now. We can revisit this in a few years.

Old 07-13-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
No not Skyland, but Downtown Ward 7 is absolutely a game changer for EOTR. This is pointless to talk about now. We can revisit this in a few years.
If it gets celebrity chefs from NYC, wouldn't it just become the next Shaw or Logan Circle, meaning that it would become significantly more diverse? And therefore not very Black.

Old 07-13-2022, 02:37 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Report: Massachusetts Leads Nation In Serving Black College Students

“It’s making the students feel welcome. It’s providing them the academic support services. It’s ensuring that the colleges are affordable. It’s ensuring that the students have their needs met,” Santiago said.

Before they reach college, black students in Massachusetts score high on national standardized tests, suggesting they are on average better prepared academically than their counterparts in other states.

The report pulled data from the Census Bureau and a US Department of Education database to measure each institution’s black undergraduate percentage compared to the percentage of black population between 18 and 24 in the college’s home state, the gender balance between black men and women compared to the balance between men and women of all races nationally, the graduation rate of black students within six years and the ratio of black students to black full-time professors.

Among the 506 colleges that were graded, the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts in North Adams tied with the University of Louisville and University of California, San Diego for the top score of 3.5.

Fitchburg State and Framingham State also stood in the top ten, while UMass Boston was ranked sixteenth.

I can attest the State Schools in MA feel great. Massachusetts has historically had a black brain drain - once you get done here with your education as a black person, the world is kind of your oyster and other places feel "easy". What Boston is trying to do is retain its black population and attract others.

5 MA state schools are in the top 35 Fitchburg State (9.7% Black), Framingham State (10.7% Black), Umass Boston (14.8% Black), Salem State (8.6% Black), and Bridgewater State(10.1% Black) (had great times at BSU). National Average (9.8% Black)

It is the only state with more than one state school where none of them have black graduation rates below 40%. Actually, every state school in Massachusetts exceeds the black average graduation rate.

Full Report: https://luminafoundation.org/wp-cont...iversities.pdf

Done by two black men at USC

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 07-13-2022 at 02:49 PM..

Old 07-13-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
If it gets celebrity chefs from NYC, wouldn't it just become the next Shaw or Logan Circle, meaning that it would become significantly more diverse? And therefore not very Black.
One of the biggest differences between EOTR businesses coming and businesses that gentrified west of the river neighborhoods in the 2000’s and 2010’s is that the businesses coming EOTR are overwhelmingly Black owned and targeted towards Black people which wasn’t the case west of the river.

What you won’t find in Harlem is a community where almost everyone looks like you. Unapologetically Black in all things. That’s what I and everyone I know EOTR loves about living there. I live in Ward 7 and it is 91% Black. Not only that, but 91% Black alone! I’m trying to remember what decade we would have to look at when Ward 1 was 91% Black. Thoughts?

Last edited by MDAllstar; 07-13-2022 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-13-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Report: Massachusetts Leads Nation In Serving Black College Students

“It’s making the students feel welcome. It’s providing them the academic support services. It’s ensuring that the colleges are affordable. It’s ensuring that the students have their needs met,” Santiago said.

Before they reach college, black students in Massachusetts score high on national standardized tests, suggesting they are on average better prepared academically than their counterparts in other states.

The report pulled data from the Census Bureau and a US Department of Education database to measure each institution’s black undergraduate percentage compared to the percentage of black population between 18 and 24 in the college’s home state, the gender balance between black men and women compared to the balance between men and women of all races nationally, the graduation rate of black students within six years and the ratio of black students to black full-time professors.

Among the 506 colleges that were graded, the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts in North Adams tied with the University of Louisville and University of California, San Diego for the top score of 3.5.

Fitchburg State and Framingham State also stood in the top ten, while UMass Boston was ranked sixteenth.

I can attest the State Schools in MA feel great. Massachusetts has historically had a black brain drain - once you get done here with your education as a black person, the world is kind of your oyster and other places feel "easy". What Boston is trying to do is retain its black population and attract others.

5 MA state schools are in the top 35 Fitchburg State (9.7% Black), Framingham State (10.7% Black), Umass Boston (14.8% Black), Salem State (8.6% Black), and Bridgewater State(10.1% Black) (had great times at BSU). National Average (9.8% Black)

It is the only state with more than one state school where none of them have black graduation rates below 40%. Actually, every state school in Massachusetts exceeds the black average graduation rate.

Full Report: https://luminafoundation.org/wp-cont...iversities.pdf

Done by two black men at USC
This is DOPE bro! Black excellence!

Old 07-13-2022, 03:10 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Hmmm. I'm not sure black people are gaining economically, and the goal posts for "middle class" move so much, I'm not sure what that is anymore. Black immigrants are gaining, though. For statistical purposes, they should not be lumped in the same category as blacks who have been rooted in America before the 20th century. People will see this as divisive, but it's not. Immigrant populations are not random selections.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:

What you won’t find in Harlem is a community where almost everyone looks like you. Unapologetically Black in all things. That’s what I and everyone I know EOTR loves about living there. I live in Ward 7 and it is 91% Black. Not only that, but 91% Black alone! I’m trying to remember what decade we would have to look at when Ward 1 was 91% Black. Thoughts?
But how is that different from Baltimore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.