Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 10:05 AM

611 posts, read 366,102 times

Advertisements

More broadly, they are a region. There is proximity, but it's still not likely to get quite a developed closely as what a megalopolis is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 11:02 AM

1,207 posts, read 801,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Harrison is a Cincinnati suburb.
Which was my whole point. The OP listed a bunch of cities that are growing, except that you got city like Harrison OH and Walton KY which is Cincy suburb, Sellersburg IN and Crestwood KY/La Grange KY which is Louisville suburb.

Then you have 60 miles between La Grange KY and Walton KY on I-71, between the two are basically farmlands.

tl;dr: You'll see the I-35 corridor in Texas become a megalopolis before the Indy-Cincy-L'ville triangle does. At a minimum cities like Temple TX or Waco TX are already decent size. And even then there are miles of farmlands separating Waco and Waxanachie/Cleburne.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:48 PM

8,985 posts, read 17,311,057 times
I think the idea of the "Great Lakes Megalopolis" is fairly sound, aside from the name. I don't know that Louisville belongs in that so called Megalopolis, but maybe?

In Indy, we get a lot of influence from the Chicago area. Chicago is a global city with a lot of influence in the Midwest. Add to that the fact that a lot of former Chicagoans have settled here in the last decade and brought an assortment of Chicago businesses, it is easy to see that Indy belongs in a megalopolis or region with Chicago moreso than Louisville.

Why would Indy want to be lumped in with Louisville and Columbus over Chicago? It doesn't make sense to me.

Old 07-12-2022, 01:17 PM

4,227 posts, read 3,312,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I think the idea of the "Great Lakes Megalopolis" is fairly sound, aside from the name. I don't know that Louisville belongs in that so called Megalopolis, but maybe?

In Indy, we get a lot of influence from the Chicago area. Chicago is a global city with a lot of influence in the Midwest. Add to that the fact that a lot of former Chicagoans have settled here in the last decade and brought an assortment of Chicago businesses, it is easy to see that Indy belongs in a megalopolis or region with Chicago moreso than Louisville.

Why would Indy want to be lumped in with Louisville and Columbus over Chicago? It doesn't make sense to me.
Assuming Cincinnati is the principal city in this megalopolis, then Indy is much closer to it than Chicago.

Also, which group of cities do people mentally associate Indianapolis with more-Chicago and the lake cities, or Louisville, Columbus, etc?

Much like Columbus, Indy is in a location that just makes it difficult to naturally associate with other cities.

Old 07-12-2022, 01:18 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,364,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Will Indy, Cincy, Lex, LSVille, with Columbus and Dayton become a new Megalopolis?

All the cities I mention are with 2hrs driving time to Cincy. Cincy being the central hub.

Wiki has an article for a Great Lakes Megalopolis. But I dont think cities not along the lake front should be included. I think the aforementioned cities can be considered a separate Megalopolis. Plus the Cities that are on the lake front are very far from each other. They are all well over 3 hrs from each other driving time.

Only Chicago and Milwaukee are close. Chicagoland to Detroit or Toledo is around 5 hrs or more. Both Detroit and Cleveland to Toronto is around 4 hrs.
No

Old 07-12-2022, 01:25 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,364,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Cincinnati and Dayton are just about there now. I drove south from Dayton to Cincinnati and there is barely any gap between Dayton's southern suburbs and Cincinnati's northern suburbs.

I got a good feeling driving through this area. It feels very new, is fairly well planned, and is a big area. The distance from northern Kentucky through Cincinnati to Dayton is about 60 miles. In comparison, Dallas to Fort Worth is 30 miles. With the right policies to attract business, this is an area you could see becoming the next DFW.
Over what time period? I've got family in Cincy and Dayton, including one who just retired from the Police force. He's moving to Texas lol. The other one would like to move to Texas. lol

Old 07-12-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Assuming Cincinnati is the principal city in this megalopolis, then Indy is much closer to it than Chicago.

Also, which group of cities do people mentally associate Indianapolis with more-Chicago and the lake cities, or Louisville, Columbus, etc?
Why would Cincy be the principle city of the new megalopolis, and why would random opinions of people in places like California or Florida trump the real world connections that exist between Chicago and Indianapolis?

Obviously, the relationship between Chicago and Indianapolis is pretty one sided in terms of influence. However, Chicago is far and away more influential in Indy than Cincy is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Much like Columbus, Indy is in a location that just makes it difficult to naturally associate with other cities.
Do people not associate Columbus with Cleveland and Cincinnati? Is there not a well known term the "3 C's"?

Old 07-12-2022, 01:37 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,672,707 times
I don’t think so. A few people may move to Cincinnati or Louisville from the coasts for financial reasons, but the regressive state laws (especially in Ohio) will turn off a lot of people who may have had it on their list, especially younger people.

Old 07-12-2022, 02:05 PM

1,207 posts, read 801,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

Well, there's both Skyline Chili and Giordano's/Portillo's in Indy so there's that...

But yes, "Kentucky North" extend only the horizontal line drawn from Bloomington to Columbus IN...

P.S. Former resident of Bloomington...south of there you may as well be in Kentucky, period.

Old 07-12-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Well, there's both Skyline Chili and Giordano's/Portillo's in Indy so there's that...
We also have several Chicago themed places opened by former Chicagoans such as Fat Dan's, Chicago Beef, South of Chicago, and Dugout Bar though in the case of Dugout the "Chicago" has faded as the neighborhood has changed. I can't think of a single Cincinnati Chili or goetta shop in Indy opened by a former resident; though I'd welcome one as I love Cincy Chili. Lots of Bears fans in Indy, they are a clear number 2 to the Colts. The Bengals barely register here. Neither have been very good for most of my lifetime. The Blackhawks are by far the NHL team of choice in Indy, and while there are a lot of Reds fans here, the Cubs fans seem to outnumber them even though both have been bad for most of my lifetime. When the Cubs made their run in 2016, it felt like Indy had an MLB team making a run. Even when the Reds have been good, they barely register.

While a lot of the above is anecdotal, one thing that isn't anecdotal is how much venture capital has flowed into Indy via Chicago. M25, Hyde Park Venture Partners, Chicago Venture Partners, and Angel Investors of Chicago have all pumped significant money into Indianapolis. Can you say the same for Cincinnati?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
But yes, "Kentucky North" extend only the horizontal line drawn from Bloomington to Columbus IN...

P.S. Former resident of Bloomington...south of there you may as well be in Kentucky, period.
As a former resident of both Kentucky and Evansville IN, I've more or less always thought of US 50 as the point where you feel more like Kentucky than Indiana. Bedford would fit in pretty comfortably along side Muncie or Kokomo, but Mitchell and Paoli......ooof. Might as well be in Madisonville.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 07-12-2022 at 02:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.