Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 10:18 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never heard of a mold issue in Seattle, and I lived there for over 20 years.

The advantage of Seattle to kids is, that you don't have to coop yourself up indoors with A/C during 4 months of hot summer temps. Also, I don't expect Western Washington to run out of water in the next couple of decades. I can't say the same about CO and the rest of the Southwest. Western WA gets dry during the summers, which have become longer than in the past, starting in May and lasting through September typically, so there may be water rationing in some summers, but late fall through early spring makes up for that.

For a perspective over the prospects for the Denver area's water supply (and all of CO), see the threads on the shrinking CO river.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/curr...dead-pool.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...ilability.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...its-water.html

If you're considering moving to the Seattle area, be sure to get recommendations on what communities are best, in terms of homelessness and crime levels, and commuting, depending on where the job is located.
If you think summers are hot here you wouldn't make it anywhere in the world that's actually hot. Summer nights can get into the 50s or 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 10:21 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Also, OP, you asked about Seattle's winter gloom. As others have mentioned, the main potential issue is the short days in Dec./early Jan. The way to deal with that, is to be outside and active on the weekends: skiing, hiking/walking at least in city parks, as weather allows (NO SNOW, except rarely for a few days, 1 week max per winter, and even that's relatively rare), taking advantage of the natural light as much as possible. This affects adults more than kids. (I moved to Seattle as a college student, and no one I ever knew in that age group was affected by "gloom" or short days).

Another way to deal with the shortest days, is to tell yourself, that by early January, the days will already become noticeably longer. In this way, you can program yourself to look for the positive, minimizing the negative. That way, you're only dealing with a roughly 1-month period of very short days. It's over soon enough, and then you can begin to enjoy the lengthening days. It's sort of a psychological trick, if you need it to help cope.

Summers can be spent hiking, biking, swimming in the lakes in the area, boating--canoeing/kayaking, and yes, sailing! You can start learning on the lakes, but you can also join a yacht club, and learn by crewing for people with larger boats. Puget Sound is absolutely glorious to sail in, with all the beautiful islands, the occasional whale to sight, dolphins gamboling in the wake of the ferry boats, etc.

That reminds me: living in the land-locked Southwest, you really start to miss large bodies of water in general, and the ocean in particular: that fresh sea air, the cool breezes (and relatively cool summers), and the whole marine environment.

There just seems to be more for kids and adults to do in terms of outdoor recreation, in the Seattle area. The YMCA has a summer camp in the islands for kids, btw. They can learn sailing and other boating skills, etc.
Absolutely. It's why Seattle area is also pretty big on Christmas lights with many homes going all out on light decorations. Winter solstice, the darkest day, basically represents beginning of longer days again. It's very optimistic and forward looking. The speed at which the days get longer always surprises me.

In the winter we also head to the Cascades a lot for skiing, snowshoeing, sledding. I've often found the weather during the winters better in the mountains than in the city.

Gold Creek area in December about an hour from Seattle, own photo

Old 07-15-2022, 10:26 AM

1,320 posts, read 867,775 times
Quote:
I've never heard of a mold issue in Seattle, and I lived there for over 20 years.

The advantage of Seattle to kids is, that you don't have to coop yourself up indoors with A/C during 4 months of hot summer temps. Also, I don't expect Western Washington to run out of water in the next couple of decades. I can't say the same about CO and the rest of the Southwest. Western WA gets dry during the summers, which have become longer than in the past, starting in May and lasting through September typically, so there may be water rationing in some summers, but late fall through early spring makes up for that.

For a perspective over the prospects for the Denver area's water supply (and all of CO), see the threads on the shrinking CO river.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/curr...dead-pool.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...ilability.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...its-water.html

If you're considering moving to the Seattle area, be sure to get recommendations on what communities are best, in terms of homelessness and crime levels, and commuting, depending on where the job is located.
You don't have to do this in Denver either, though. A high of 90 with extremely low humidity is fairly comfortable.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:52 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orghiplove View Post
Do either of you know if mold is an issue and cause respiratory problems?
If you're sensitive and get allergies from mold, you can get problems doing yard work in shady areas (rhodies, ivy etc.) and might want to wear a mask. The old leaves get moldy. If you don't have a mold allergy, you likely won't notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.