Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 02:00 AM

23 posts, read 26,777 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get out of the sticks. I've had my eye on a few cities. But for each of these cities I find people saying "It's good for a vacation, but I wouldn't want to live there."

But what do people actually mean when they say this? Do they mean the city is too expensive? Do they mean it's full of tourists? Do they mean there isn't much in the city that isn't just a tourist attraction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 02:30 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
They probably meant all or some what you listed above.
However, every opinion is subjective and every situation different. You need to form your own opinion.
Climate, cost of living, work prospects, even landscape is something what people consider when they look for a new place to move.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:42 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
I don’t think it’s the tourist thing. Most people in cities live in non-touristy neighborhoods.

But beyond that, what a person means by calling somewhere OK to visit, but not live in is really personal and could mean a lot of things, like the city is too expensive (San Jose), too isolated (Honolulu), too hot (Las Vegas), too cold (Chicago), too prone to natural disaster (New Orleans), too liberal (San Francisco), too conservative (Oklahoma City), too much crime (Detroit), too black (Philadelphia), too white (Portland), too Latin (Miami), too intense (New York), too boring (Indianapolis), and on and on. Everybody’s got something they just can’t deal with in a city. Worry about what ticks you off cause it’s guaranteed that someone else will love the place you hate.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:03 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
I suppose, what they mean by it depends on the place they are talking about. Jerusalem? New Orleans? Kodiak? Cancun? Lhasa? Branson? Venice? Tahiti? Antarctica? Each one has its own downsive as a place to live.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
The version I used to hear was about New York in particular: Nice place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there.

Meaning so much to see and do on a visit but having to live there with all the crowds, hustle and bustle? No thanks!

Old 06-21-2022, 06:37 AM

914 posts, read 561,339 times
They may also mean that they don't care for the climate or year-round weather there, but that there are times when it could be pleasant to visit.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:05 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Staying in a downtown hotel to see touristy things is a far cry from dealing with housing, trafffic, schools, job market, etc.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:11 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Alexander View Post
Do they mean the city is too expensive?
Usually, yes.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:42 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You could ask them.

I suspect that it means there are nice tourist things to do but once you have seen the tourist things, the place has a lot of negatives. It might be high crime, high cost of living, bad weather, rude inhabitants, dirty air, or some sort of danger.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:14 AM

2,338 posts, read 2,286,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You could ask them.

I suspect that it means there are nice tourist things to do but once you have seen the tourist things, the place has a lot of negatives. It might be high crime, high cost of living, bad weather, rude inhabitants, dirty air, or some sort of danger.
I think this is spot on. Adding to it, high taxes, bad schools, limited shopping/dining, etc could be more reasons you wouldn’t want to live somewhere that’s otherwise good to visit.

For me, a few places that might be good to visit but not live at would include:
Key West, FL
Portsmouth, NH
Jackson, WY
New Orleans
Savannah, GA
St. Augustine, FL
Breckinridge, CO
Vail, CO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.