Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 02:32 AM

6,373 posts, read 4,987,814 times

Advertisements

CA: We're a big enough state that the answer can be meaningfully different for different demographics of LGBTQ+s.

SF from my forays up there seems to have a lot of middle-aged and older gay guys. LA is obviously more the younger, glamorous crowd. Oakland/Berkeley seem much more overtly leftist than SF (or LA for that matter), so I'd imagine are more desirable for people in smaller, more under-represented LGBTQ+ identities or who are more into the activist side of things. And then Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo (college towns) might be ideal if you want a smaller town with a sort of hippie-ish environment, although I don't know if they have "scenes" per se.

Worst among the bigger cities are probably Fresno and Bakersfield (the counties are red despite the cities being good-sized, and oil/agriculture don't typically attract progressive types).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 03:44 AM

765 posts, read 897,974 times
Washington:
1. Seattle
2.Tacoma
3. White Center
4. Bellingham
5. Olympia

Old 07-29-2022, 04:04 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Florida
1. Key West
2. Miami/Miami Beach
3. St. Petersburg
4. Fort Lauderdale
5. Orlando
Fort Lauderdale is 1.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:12 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
New Jersey

Jersey City
Asbury Park
Maplewood/South Orange
Collingswood

For the last spot I can't decide between Montclair and Lambertville

Old 07-29-2022, 07:20 AM

858 posts, read 584,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Alabama:

1. Birmingham (by a mile). The ONLY city in the state with a perfect 100 scorecard from the HRC. Active organization (https://www.centralalabamapride.org/) with an annual Pride celebration and parade, going on 43 years... first festival was held in 1980, the longest in the state. First parade was held in 1989 (amazing YouTube video here:
Out in the South -- First Gay Pride March in Birmingham, Alabama (1989). Also the only gay choir in the state (Steel City Mens Chorus). Strong ally in Mayor Randall Woodfin. Home of the Magic City Acceptance Academy, an LGBTQ-affirming charter school that just opened last year. Only openly-gay member of the state house (District 54) lives here in the city. Several neighborhoods with sizeable gay populations (Crestwood, Forest Park, Avondale, 5 Points / Southside). No specific gay nightlife district, although the 4 gay bars / clubs are relatively close to each other in and around Lakeview.

2. Mobile (just guessing here)

3 & 4. Auburn and Tuscaloosa? Mainly for their setting as large college towns.

5. Huntsville? (distant). Only putting it here since it's now the state's largest city. Quick Google search indicates that Rocket City Pride is celebrating its 10th year.

Disclaimer: Fellow Alabamans (or visitors), help me out here. Obviously I'm completely biased and my writeup focuses on the city I live in. I don't really experience LGBT culture in other areas of the state, so I'd love to find out I'm wrong about some of these.
I agree with the list, I hate to admit it lol but Birmingham probably does do better than Mobile when it comes to LGBTQ, though I don’t think Mobile is that far behind. Mobile does have several LGBTQ Mardi Gras organizations including the Order of Osiris, which has been around since 1982 and draws in 1000s every year for their large Mardi Gras Ball. Mobile also has the state’s only lesbian bar (can’t remember the name of it). Theres also LGBTQ members that have been looking to join Mobile politics, with I believe 3 of them trying to join the city council last year. The city has also been trying to put more attention on the LGBTQ community by hiring members as liaisons

Old 07-29-2022, 07:34 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,229,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
I agree with the list, I hate to admit it lol but Birmingham probably does do better than Mobile when it comes to LGBTQ, though I don’t think Mobile is that far behind. Mobile does have several LGBTQ Mardi Gras organizations including the Order of Osiris, which has been around since 1982 and draws in 1000s every year for their large Mardi Gras Ball. Mobile also has the state’s only lesbian bar (can’t remember the name of it). Theres also LGBTQ members that have been looking to join Mobile politics, with I believe 3 of them trying to join the city council last year. The city has also been trying to put more attention on the LGBTQ community by hiring members as liaisons
Good stuff, IW. Yeah, Mardi Gras was a big reason I figured Mobile was #2, in addition to the bar scene.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:06 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Texas would probably be top heavy with DFW, Houston and Austin duking it out for the top.

DFW would probably win because of the bigger LGBT population. I think it has the best intact gay neighborhoods in the state

Houston used to have a strong gayberhood and an openly gay Mayor. For a while Houston had the biggest gay parade in the state but I don't know if that is still the case. Also, I'm not sure if they still have the splash festival in Galveston. It was especially popular for gay black folks.

Austin had the best gay PR for a while. Especially since it had the more urban, preppy, hippy scene. Very popular among Whites, but not the best among minorities.

San Antonio is a strong 4th and is the one in most certain of its ranking.

I guess I should list Galveston as 5.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:20 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
CA: We're a big enough state that the answer can be meaningfully different for different demographics of LGBTQ+s.

SF from my forays up there seems to have a lot of middle-aged and older gay guys. LA is obviously more the younger, glamorous crowd. Oakland/Berkeley seem much more overtly leftist than SF (or LA for that matter), so I'd imagine are more desirable for people in smaller, more under-represented LGBTQ+ identities or who are more into the activist side of things. And then Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo (college towns) might be ideal if you want a smaller town with a sort of hippie-ish environment, although I don't know if they have "scenes" per se.

Worst among the bigger cities are probably Fresno and Bakersfield (the counties are red despite the cities being good-sized, and oil/agriculture don't typically attract progressive types).
You forgot perhaps the biggest destination, pound for pound: Palm Springs

Old 07-29-2022, 11:18 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Texas would probably be top heavy with DFW, Houston and Austin duking it out for the top.

DFW would probably win because of the bigger LGBT population. I think it has the best intact gay neighborhoods in the state

Houston used to have a strong gayberhood and an openly gay Mayor. For a while Houston had the biggest gay parade in the state but I don't know if that is still the case. Also, I'm not sure if they still have the splash festival in Galveston. It was especially popular for gay black folks.

Austin had the best gay PR for a while. Especially since it had the more urban, preppy, hippy scene. Very popular among Whites, but not the best among minorities.

San Antonio is a strong 4th and is the one in most certain of its ranking.

I guess I should list Galveston as 5.
Dallas has the best intact gay neighborhood, not DFW broadly. I would never recommend Fort Worth, Arlington, Irving, etc for visitors looking for LGBT establishments. Strictly Dallas.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:01 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,238,998 times
I'll just add this for North Carolina, which is probably true elsewhere but here goes.

Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, Asheville, Boone, Greenville, and apparently Nags Head (don't ask, I've just "heard", I'm guessing it's more the older/retiree crowd) are at worst, okay places to live if you are LGBTQ. I suppose places like Cullowhee (Western Carolina University), Davidson (Davidson College), Cary, and High Point are probably "okay" at worst as well. Some are better than others, but these are the population centers and/or college towns, which again ties in to the whole "same as every other state" mantra.

Anywhere else in the state not mentioned or not near the mentioned cities, is probably going to be at best, questionable. Sorry for not ranking these but I don't know how to. But anyone familiar with North Carolina should agree that this is a good starting point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.