Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 05:58 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times

Advertisements

Alaska:
1. Juneau. Super liberal by Alaska standards. Dull and safe. If Kai and Parker want to get boring government jobs, set up house, and adopt a pair of sibling children and a rescue dog, this is the place to do it.
2. Anchorage. The natural resource industry attracts a lot of good ol' boy transplants and temporary residents from the more conservative and dusty corners of the US, which limits how gay-friendly the city can be as a whole, but there's an actual scene (several specifically gay bars, several lgbtq+ friendly ones) and active community.
3 & 4. Talkeetna and Homer. Hippy dippy little towns. Overrun by tourists May through September, for better or worse.
5. There aren't five. I could put Fairbanks, because it's probably 5th as in it's the next most gay-friendly place, but that implies that it IS gay-friendly, which I would not say it is. Fairbanks has achieved maybe 1980s levels of consciousness regarding homosexuality. Like, maybe it's friendly enough if you're the funny sassy neutered best friend type?

Just my opinion, don't make any life choices based on this, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 06:32 PM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
I love the adopted siblings and rescue dog reference. I guess it's universal that LGBT people needed rescuing themselves, so now they rescue others including rescue dogs.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
In Oklahoma it would be:

1. Oklahoma City
2. Tulsa
3. Norman
4. Stillwater
5. Tahlequah

The gay member of the Oklahoma City Council recently got funding to repave and streetscape the main street of the gay district with new street lamps. A tour of it during Pride from June is shown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OejbL8lxmeI&t=37s

Old 07-30-2022, 06:00 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
New Jersey

Jersey City
Asbury Park
Maplewood/South Orange
Collingswood

For the last spot I can't decide between Montclair and Lambertville
Ocean Grove

Old 07-30-2022, 08:17 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I can't imagine that there are too many places in the USA where anybody cares. Make an effort to fit yourself into the local culture and you should be fine.

Old 07-30-2022, 08:24 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
In Vermont, most of the state is accommodating to the LGBTQ community (exceptionally so for a rural state), but I'd say the following areas have the most visibility and community involvement.

Burlington/Winooski
Brattleboro
Montpelier
White River Junction/Woodstock
St. Albans

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-30-2022 at 08:35 AM..

Old 07-30-2022, 11:00 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Florida
1. Key West
2. Miami/Miami Beach
3. St. Petersburg
4. Fort Lauderdale
5. Orlando
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
St Petersburg over Fort Lauderdale doesn’t check out…
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Trust me, it does. I’ve been hit on many times by gay guys in St. Petersburg. haha

I’m actually serious. There’s a strong gay scenes around the downtown area, not so much outside of it. I understand Ft Lauderdale has a strong lgbtq scene too so it’s probably pretty close.
Quote:
Ft Lauderdale is known nationally in the gay community as a bit of a mecca. It’s up there with Palm Springs. As a gay man, I’ve never heard of St Petersburg in such a way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I've heard about Fort Lauderdale and I think I've heard about St. Pete. This article says that St. Pete is gunning to surpass Fort Lauderdale as Florida's premier LGBT destination...https://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...ida_172774478/
Wilton Manors?

Old 07-30-2022, 09:40 PM

8 posts, read 5,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Washington:
1. Seattle
2.Tacoma
3. White Center

4. Bellingham
5. Olympia

Does it count really ? Like, I mean, are White Center / Tacoma not just really "near" Seattle and count just for 1 ?

What about the east side, Spokane / Walla Walla / Wenatchee / Yakima ?

(I'm really asking since I don't know WA state at all).

I would be interested to know some answers for Montana and Idaho.

In New Mexico it would be :
1-Santa Fe
2-Taos
3-Madrid
4-ABQ?
5-ToC ?

Old 07-30-2022, 10:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Quote:
You forgot perhaps the biggest destination, pound for pound: Palm Springs
Very true. PS very gay friendly. My brother has a home there and my visits can confirm this.

Old 07-31-2022, 02:27 PM

765 posts, read 897,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey D'Haene View Post
Does it count really ? Like, I mean, are White Center / Tacoma not just really "near" Seattle and count just for 1 ?

What about the east side, Spokane / Walla Walla / Wenatchee / Yakima ?

(I'm really asking since I don't know WA state at all).

I would be interested to know some answers for Montana and Idaho.

In New Mexico it would be :
1-Santa Fe
2-Taos
3-Madrid
4-ABQ?
5-ToC ?
I mean you could count metro Seattle-Tacoma as a whole but it's a large area stretching from Marysville to Lakewood and Bremerton to Issaquah. Some neighborhoods/ cities are definitely more LGBTQ+ friendly than others. While intolerance is uncommon in the metro area, it does still exist and becomes more common the further out you go. Also the further out suburbs/ towns tend to lack resources/ community generally speaking. So most of Seattle is great with hard hitters being Capitol Hill, First Hill, Pioneer Square, Downtown, Belltown, SODO, Beacon Hill, Mt. Baker, Columbia CIty, Lake City, Fremont, Georgetown, and parts of West Seattle (which you could include White Center but it's technically not Seattle).

Some suburbs like Kent and Federal Way offer a lower cost of living which is a plus and are close to Seattle and Tacoma but lack resources for the q ueer community and seem to have less of a regard for people in the q ueer community beyond the basics. Some suburbs like Maple Valley and Bonney Lake seem to be more purple in their views. Not very LGBTQ firendly but not blatantly bigoted. And then some suburbs like Bellevue, Kirkland, Samamish are posh, wealthy families or singles, and more socially conservative.
Where Tacoma has a large artist community, lower cost of living, resources for q ueers, gay bars, an actual city feel rather than new urbanism sterile, and events like a big pride weekend, probably 2nd biggest in Washington, and advocacy/ grassroots organizing from the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.