Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2022, 09:37 AM

111 posts, read 68,999 times

Advertisements

What metropolitan areas have a housing stock predominantly made-up of multifamily homes? Or areas where this type of home atleast is in abundance? I know in the Boston and Providence areas, majority of the Triple decker homes that dominate, are multifamily. Also in NYC, many of the brownstones and houses in Harlem, Bedstuy, Bushwick, Park Slope, Canarsie, Jamaica, Soundview are multifamily homes. I'd imagine multifamily homes in Providence/Boston (around 500k) would be cheaper than the ones in NYC (maybe around 1 mill). While in comparison, many metro areas down south or out west are dominated by single family homes. Any other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 09:58 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,090,850 times
Chicago, Buffalo, and Milwaukee all have large numbers of multi-family residences in the city. Not sure of total per metro. Just looking at 2 to 4 unit multi-family, as a percentage of all residences in the city:

Buffalo 50%
Chicago 32%
Milwaukee 27%
Cleveland 19%
Pittsburgh 13%

Chicago has the smallest percentage of single family at 28%, but a much higher percentage of larger apartment buildings (20+ units) than the above cities. Single family as a percentage of all residences:

Chicago 28%
Buffalo 35%
Milwaukee 49%
Cleveland 60%
Pittsburgh 67%

Old 08-13-2022, 02:34 PM

6,397 posts, read 5,033,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Chicago has the smallest percentage of single family at 28%, but a much higher percentage of larger apartment buildings (20+ units) than the above cities. Single family as a percentage of all residences:

Chicago 28%
Buffalo 35%
Milwaukee 49%
Cleveland 60%
Pittsburgh 67%
That really surprises me, it feels like Chicago has vast areas of exclusively SFH. This is by % of all residences, though, not of all residential buildings, so maybe it's counterbalanced by all the lakefront towers and 3- or 4-story garden-style brick apartments.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:03 PM

12,193 posts, read 8,067,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPRCubaSpain View Post
What metropolitan areas have a housing stock predominantly made-up of multifamily homes? Or areas where this type of home atleast is in abundance? I know in the Boston and Providence areas, majority of the Triple decker homes that dominate, are multifamily. Also in NYC, many of the brownstones and houses in Harlem, Bedstuy, Bushwick, Park Slope, Canarsie, Jamaica, Soundview are multifamily homes. I'd imagine multifamily homes in Providence/Boston (around 500k) would be cheaper than the ones in NYC (maybe around 1 mill). While in comparison, many metro areas down south or out west are dominated by single family homes. Any other areas?
Providence would be cheaper than NYC. By a good margin.

Boston area is a bit more than NYC area

An area with a lot of multifamily condos/townhomes at great prices (100s-300s, rarely over) is Connecticut. From Hartford area to New Haven area to New London area.. lots of inventory

Old 08-15-2022, 10:16 PM

853 posts, read 338,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
That really surprises me, it feels like Chicago has vast areas of exclusively SFH. This is by % of all residences, though, not of all residential buildings, so maybe it's counterbalanced by all the lakefront towers and 3- or 4-story garden-style brick apartments.
Exactly. The figure is for the percentage of housing units that are single family homes vs multi unit, not the percentage of structures. If you have a block with one apartment building with 20 units and 19 single family houses then the block is majority apartments in terms of units.

Minneapolis is a good example of how this phenomenon can work. Minneapolis proper was 51% multifamily in 2014. But in terms of structures it is predominantly single family houses. So people who don't live there think that everyone lives in a single family house while in reality a majority actually live in apartments or condos, it is just that the houses take up more of the footprint of the city.

Last edited by Somnifor; 08-15-2022 at 10:33 PM..

Old 08-16-2022, 07:37 AM

1,357 posts, read 891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
Exactly. The figure is for the percentage of housing units that are single family homes vs multi unit, not the percentage of structures. If you have a block with one apartment building with 20 units and 19 single family houses then the block is majority apartments in terms of units.

Minneapolis is a good example of how this phenomenon can work. Minneapolis proper was 51% multifamily in 2014. But in terms of structures it is predominantly single family houses. So people who don't live there think that everyone lives in a single family house while in reality a majority actually live in apartments or condos, it is just that the houses take up more of the footprint of the city.
Also a lot of the older duplexes and triplexes in Minneapolis look like SFHs on the outside.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:13 PM

7,741 posts, read 5,533,645 times
I think this graph from the Washington Post is always insightful when talking about this kind of thing, though it is only for the city limits I believe and not the metro area: US Cities ranked by Percentage of Single-Family Houses

Old 08-20-2022, 10:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,196,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I think this graph from the Washington Post is always insightful when talking about this kind of thing, though it is only for the city limits I believe and not the metro area: US Cities ranked by Percentage of Single-Family Houses
It has to be by city proper only because Miami isn't on this list. This is the top 40 cities proper and Miami falls just a few outside of that. IMO, this would be more interesting if it were done by Urban Area or least by county.

Old 08-27-2022, 01:55 PM

824 posts, read 715,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
https://danielkayhertz.com/2017/01/2...bungalow-belt/

This was an interesting analysis of the bungalow belt in Chicago and how even in the bungalow belt, they still have very high rates of multi-family housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.