Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 12:52 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,425,999 times

Advertisements

Totally agree. Hartford's suburbs are really, really nice, with a high quality of life.

West Hartford is my favorite--and just super nice.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7594...7i13312!8i6656

If portions of inner city Hartford could duplicate something even sort of close to the success of W Hartford, it would be in solid shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 01:47 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I think realistically at least in the next 20 years depressed cities in the South and West ar e the most likely to see a rebound. One of the critical things for revitalization is cities not on the Black/White dichotomy. The heavily black inner city surrounded by the extremely white suburbs in the Midwest won’t really attract any development till another minority starts growing in the city. People will just continue to move to the affordable suburbs rather than revitalize the city itself. Not to mention as of now there’s still a lot of things that lead to low growth in the Midwest still existing like high membership in Unions (not saying this is bad, but it’s tied to lower certain types of economic growth in a lot of places)

The South has a similar dynamic but the suburbs are often more black and the cities are often more regionally balanced rather than a 90% black city in a 15% black state. On top of this the Hispanic population, general growth of even the most depressed cities all add to it.

Now this isn’t really depressed-

But I can see Lafayette, Louisiana
Corpus Christi, Texas
Pueblo, Colorado
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Tucson, Arizona

All being more prominent in 20 years. In general growth is slowing everywhere so I seriously doubt any of these places growing too significantly. They aren’t depressed but grew relatively slower for their overall region.

We might see more growth in industry as a result of Factories closing down overseas to come closer to the market. But I’m expecting Northern Mexico to get the majority of this type of growth…
There are plenty of diverse and/or predominantly black suburbs in all larger and even some mid sized Midwest metros though. So, I don’t know if that is necessarily a factor.

Also, some of the suggested areas may have to contend with water issues in the future.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:16 PM

5,730 posts, read 2,191,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The Trump Administration tried to move BLM headquarters to Grand Junction, Colorado. It wasn't done to "spread the wealth," it was done to make the bureau dysfunctional as part of a broader push by anti-government clowns like William Perry Pendley to justify selling off government land holdings. Many senior staffers refused to move with the HQ, and a couple dozen or more high-level openings went unfilled. Additionally, the HQ was moved into a building full of energy companies (shocker). The relo failed miserably, and the HQ was moved back to DC after roughly 2 years.
Didn’t the Trump admin move some Department of Agriculture jobs to KC area? This seems like a great start.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Didn’t the Trump admin move some Department of Agriculture jobs to KC area? This seems like a great start.
Like 700 jobs, mostly failed as a move, and some just resisted the choice of moving. I know some personally who chose not to go, and stayed in DC area. This was all pre-pandemic too, most of those jobs are still in DC, or some have just transitioned remote anyway.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:02 PM

409 posts, read 333,255 times
Baltimore
Gary
St. Louis
Detroit
East St. Louis

Old 09-01-2022, 07:14 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
St. Louis or Memphis for the following reasons.

Central Time zone
Winters are tolerable
Along major east/west interstates
Along the Mississippi.
Cost of Living is affordable.

The negatives besides the obvious issue of crime and public schools is no major research University and neither are State Capitals.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:50 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The Trump Administration tried to move BLM headquarters to Grand Junction, Colorado. It wasn't done to "spread the wealth," it was done to make the bureau dysfunctional as part of a broader push by anti-government clowns like William Perry Pendley to justify selling off government land holdings. Many senior staffers refused to move with the HQ, and a couple dozen or more high-level openings went unfilled. Additionally, the HQ was moved into a building full of energy companies (shocker). The relo failed miserably, and the HQ was moved back to DC after roughly 2 years.
This.

And BTW, Detroit has already rebounded. Quite vibrant.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:28 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

And BTW, Detroit has already rebounded. Quite vibrant.
Downtown Detroit is doing well. Most of the neighborhoods away from the core are still pretty far from rebounding. I’d say it is still firmly qualified for a discussion like this.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:32 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
The solution is not to move Govt offices out of DC, but jobs out of places they dont really need to be or let them go to places they dont really need to be by offering them tax benefits or something.

Like Amzn for example, dont need them in NYC and certainly dont need to entice them with generous tax incentives. Let them move to a cheaper city that will be overall cheaper for them since they want to save money.

Baltimore, or Hartford be good places for the Northeast Corridor.

Or for example, all those people moving to the Sunbelt, where there is no water, to take up service jobs never had to move there since the service jobs never had to relocate there either.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:34 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
One solution to our housing crisis has been to move government agencies out of DC. You can see a small video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imcDUnEs--Y&t=140s

Others have said that we should pick other cities as growth centers.

I think this could be a great opportunity to spread wealth away from the coasts so that other places can be vibrant. It is a counterbalance to a couple cities taking most of the opportunity while creating little housing. I don't want to see cheap undesirable places and expensive unattainable ones. I want to see more people with access to a great QOL. Also, if the government invests money to improve a city, it's possible to change the character of the place towards one that would be fitting for the 21st century.

So here is the question - What are your top 5 cities that you would pick as opportunity cities? Why would you pick those ones?
If you really want to spread QOL, and wealth then someone get tech industry to startup elsewhere besides Bay Area. Or create a tech industry that can rival the one in Silicon Valley so not only does Silicon Valley get to soak up all the wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.