Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 09:42 PM

783 posts, read 694,675 times

Advertisements

One solution to our housing crisis has been to move government agencies out of DC. You can see a small video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imcDUnEs--Y&t=140s

Others have said that we should pick other cities as growth centers.

I think this could be a great opportunity to spread wealth away from the coasts so that other places can be vibrant. It is a counterbalance to a couple cities taking most of the opportunity while creating little housing. I don't want to see cheap undesirable places and expensive unattainable ones. I want to see more people with access to a great QOL. Also, if the government invests money to improve a city, it's possible to change the character of the place towards one that would be fitting for the 21st century.

So here is the question - What are your top 5 cities that you would pick as opportunity cities? Why would you pick those ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 10:11 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
I wouldn’t hold my breath about the Federal government moving some of its bureaucracy out of DC, but I’ve always been a firm believer that the Great Lakes cities are poised for a rebound greater than their current revitalization. Chicago aside, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Buffalo, and I guess Toledo (if I need 5) are contenders.

Legacy cities with old money that endowed the arts and universities, good housing stock, great suburbs, pro sports, some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet, access to the Great Lakes, and “relatively” reasonable housing prices (and “cheap” for apples to apples comparisons to the coasts).

Old 08-31-2022, 10:58 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Baltimore is really hurting and only likely to keep getting worse in the near future, and the convenience to the rest of DC is obvious.

Great Lakes cities would be good.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:31 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Detroit
Gary
Cleveland
Baltimore
Trenton

Old 09-01-2022, 08:42 AM

1,203 posts, read 791,866 times
Moving stuff out of DC? Baltimore is next door...

Midwest as a whole should definitely go up again, though - it has the relatively affordable housing, it has the universities (whose graduates then leave for greener pasture...i.e. the "brain drain" from Indiana or Ohio), and it has the infrastructure to certain extent.

Plus being away from the coast (Ok, not really for Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland but the lakes are different from the ocean) mean it won't sink into the ocean in 50 years .

Old 09-01-2022, 08:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
It won't happen, but I would go with Detroit, Gary, St. Louis, Stockton and Baltimore.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:51 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
So I have been following along Philadelphia politicians attempts at getting one of the new IRS processing facilities.

Seems two things that are big priorities:
1. Local labor force can absorb the new jobs.
2. Existing employees have to be willing to move there.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:02 AM

783 posts, read 694,675 times
I'll go ahead and list my tops.
  1. Cleveland - I think this is a very good location. Has a nice river running through it with a nice park. Best urban kayaking in the country. This could be a real gem.
  2. Baltimore - Fantastic location on the NE corridor but not doing great. I think if we could give this place a push, it would already be integrated into a fantastic system.
  3. Pittsburgh - This place seems underrated. At the edge of Appalachia. Could be a beautiful city in the hills. It would be nice if they got rid of the freeway the isthmus and replaced it with a park.
  4. Richmond - This place has nice bones to the city. Also this would help creating an eastern seaboard rail system going all the way down from Boston.
  5. Hartford - Another city in the northeast that has good bones. Overlooked but has potential.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:03 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
One solution to our housing crisis has been to move government agencies out of DC. You can see a small video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imcDUnEs--Y&t=140s

Others have said that we should pick other cities as growth centers.

I think this could be a great opportunity to spread wealth away from the coasts so that other places can be vibrant. It is a counterbalance to a couple cities taking most of the opportunity while creating little housing. I don't want to see cheap undesirable places and expensive unattainable ones. I want to see more people with access to a great QOL. Also, if the government invests money to improve a city, it's possible to change the character of the place towards one that would be fitting for the 21st century.

So here is the question - What are your top 5 cities that you would pick as opportunity cities? Why would you pick those ones?
The Trump Administration tried to move BLM headquarters to Grand Junction, Colorado. It wasn't done to "spread the wealth," it was done to make the bureau dysfunctional as part of a broader push by anti-government clowns like William Perry Pendley to justify selling off government land holdings. Many senior staffers refused to move with the HQ, and a couple dozen or more high-level openings went unfilled. Additionally, the HQ was moved into a building full of energy companies (shocker). The relo failed miserably, and the HQ was moved back to DC after roughly 2 years.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:05 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The Trump Administration tried to move BLM headquarters to Grand Junction. It wasn't done to "spread the wealth," it was done to make the bureau dysfunctional as part of a broader push by anti-government clowns like William Perry Pendley to justify selling off government land holdings. The HQ moved into a building full of energy companies (shocker). The relo failed miserably, and the HQ was moved back to DC after roughly 2 years.

Thanks for the info, when I read the thread this was the first thing I thought about, but I couldn't remember what dept moved and where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.