Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 08:49 AM

111 posts, read 68,316 times

Advertisements

I see this group possibly eventually becoming the largest black immigrant group and 2nd largest Caribbean-origin group in the country after Puerto Ricans. For several reasons, One being that Haiti is one of the poorest, most dangerous, and most unstable countries in the world and it's so close to USA, it's now controlled by gangs and unrest is rampant. Another reason being Haiti has a high birth rate and nearly half of the population is below age 20, that would be a strain on that small poor country with a near non-existent economy, causing many to leave (along with the other previously mentioned reasons). Many surrounding Latin American/Caribbean countries, don't have the adequate resources to support Haitian immigrants, like a huge much wealthier nation like USA would. That's why many have been coming from not only Haiti itself by also other Latino/Caribbean countries. Based on those reasons, I see Haitian migration to the US continuing to skyrocket.

The obvious areas where there is already large Haitian populations are Miami, NYC, and Boston, and to a lesser degree Orlando and Philly too. Usually they live among other West Indians (non-hispanic), like Jamaicans, Trinidadians, Bajans etc. Besides those areas, what other areas are the Haitian communities growing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 11:07 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
I'm a bit surprised that Houston and New Orleans don't have higher Haitian populations considering both their climates and locations on the Gulf Coast, the former's fast growing population, and the latter's francophone roots.

Old 09-04-2022, 12:11 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I'm a bit surprised that Houston and New Orleans don't have higher Haitian populations considering both their climates and locations on the Gulf Coast, the former's fast growing population, and the latter's francophone roots.
For some reason Caribbean immigrants keep to the east of the Mississippi.

New Orleans used to be like 50% Haitian. But that was like 200 years ago.

The Caribbean population in Houston is growing. It has the largest Caribbean population west of the Mississippi, but that's not any major feat as the population west of the Mississippi is miniscule to begin with.

Haitians have been coming more and more from Mexico but they don't get the same treatment that Latinos get.

Old 09-04-2022, 01:46 PM

817 posts, read 626,597 times
Just woke up and thought the title read "Areas with growing Hentai population :P

Old 09-04-2022, 07:33 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
Going off by the ops name I can clearly see this thread was made for racist purposes.

Btw. The entire Caribbean is super dangerous and somewhat unstable. Not sure why people lump danger and unstable with just Haiti.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:35 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Immigrants move to places for opportunity. New Orleans being francophone and having similar weather means nothing.

Now with Houston it wouldn’t surprise me if a Haitian community did eventually grow over there in the near future.

Incase you haven’t noticed most islanders live in places that have the complete opposite weather. Canada, The northeast and the UK and France lol

Old 09-04-2022, 07:43 PM

93,229 posts, read 123,819,554 times
For a smaller area, I'm noticing some growth in the Binghamton NY area. There is a presence in terms of at least one known restaurant, a church and there is this organization: https://sthaitian.org/ I remember looking at pictures of the Johnson City HS graduation and caught a student with a Haitian flag on their cap. So, that may be a smaller area where there is growth.

Old 09-05-2022, 11:39 AM

111 posts, read 68,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Going off by the ops name I can clearly see this thread was made for racist purposes.

Btw. The entire Caribbean is super dangerous and somewhat unstable. Not sure why people lump danger and unstable with just Haiti.
My name just highlights some of the places I have ancestry. And it's not "racist" to ask about places that have growing Haitian population. I'm curious to know. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Immigrants move to places for opportunity. New Orleans being francophone and having similar weather means nothing.

Now with Houston it wouldn’t surprise me if a Haitian community did eventually grow over there in the near future.

Incase you haven’t noticed most islanders live in places that have the complete opposite weather. Canada, The northeast and the UK and France lol
I agree with Houston. New Orleans Francophone community is dying out, 200 years it was predominantly francophone with a decent sized community with origins in Haiti. But now, it's more Americanized and just average Dixie southern. Many Cajun and Louisiana Creole did not keep their language and costumes alive, the younger ones mainly speak English and little to no french/creole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
For a smaller area, I'm noticing some growth in the Binghamton NY area. There is a presence in terms of at least one known restaurant, a church and there is this organization: https://sthaitian.org/ I remember looking at pictures of the Johnson City HS graduation and caught a student with a Haitian flag on their cap. So, that may be a smaller area where there is growth.
Believable. I can see Haitian communities growing in Upstate NY (Albany, Rochester etc) and eastern Pa. As well as other areas like Connecticut, Ohio (Columbus), Baltimore area, Texas etc. I've read somewhere that even North Carolina and Indiana have growing Haitian communities.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:01 AM

702 posts, read 442,901 times
Atlanta has a decent size Haitian population. It will continue to grow there. More West I would say Houston but Atlanta tends to get more people from the Caribbean and Texas seems to get more migration from Africa.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:33 PM

409 posts, read 333,146 times
Salisbury, MD has a decent-sized and growing Haitian community as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.