Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 05:57 PM

561 posts, read 513,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I lived in PA for 10 years and disliked the blue collar and/or "urban" feel in most of it's cities. Champaign is a definite home run though! I can't get a grip on Omaha and sad to say I'm really unfamiliar with it's dynamics. It certainly looks affordable but why when its supposedly so up and coming? I've been to Morgantown and wanted to like but found it overall kind of sad/depressing, just my take though.
Hello again. I think I suggested this to you months ago when you created your first “where should I move to” thread- You MUST schedule a time to spend a few days in Omaha’s city/metro. That way you can get a handle on it. It is growing, and diverse in its population/job opportunities- it’s more “expensive” today than it was 10 years ago..but what major city isn’t? As I stated months ago- Omaha is a 500,000 population city anchoring a 1 million population metro. It has most ALL amenities of a metro 2 to 3 times larger, without the pain and hassle of living in one.

You won’t get the true feel of Omaha, until to plan a visit and see/experience it for yourself. You’ll be glad you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 07:07 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Yeah, I know Davenport Iowa is unlikely to be picked... unless pretty much everything else is deemed too expensive.

Old 09-10-2022, 08:36 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Since your of age to apply for senior housing just be prepared to be told you will be on a Waitlist or your over income. I've applied several times here in Florida, and the qualifying income for a unit is ridiculously low. You end up automatically disqualified as being over income and removed from the waitlist,

I think your smart leaving the state since the COL is no longer a bargain by no means. I honestly don't know how people are affording the rent. I especially don't see how lower income seniors are making it here. I have a mortgage and it goes up every year, since both the homeowners insurance and the taxes keep going up. I will probably be doing what your doing, looking to leave over the high COL in Florida and a few other reasons also.

The suggestions people are giving are excellent and make a ton of sense. I wish I had some locations to offer you also, but I think the others have covered quite a few of them. Best of Luck. I hope you find a suitable location.
It's good to hear from someone who gets the reality versus the many cheerleaders in the Florida Forum who have no clue of the reality for many not only seniors, but working class of all ages. The rent-to-wage inequity is staggering in cities like Orlando and was recently equated proportionally to what it's like in the SF Bay area. Yet people continue to move down like it's still some kind of bargain where life's a breeze. Then there's the current state government working overtime to make sure those in need stay miserable.

Old 09-11-2022, 01:50 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Something else to possibly consider is that some cities are small in land area for their population and first ring suburbs could still be in play for this reason. This is the case with Interior Northeastern and some Midwestern cities. Just to illustrate this point, the land size of cities in NY such as Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany combined is only 10 square miles more that Orlando’s land area, but Orlando only has 40k or so more people than Buffalo. So, that should offer some idea of possibilities when looking at cities in other regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.