Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2022, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 7,613 times

Advertisements

Hi, Everyone

This question has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find anything too recent when I searched. I have two job opportunities that have unexpectedly come up for me to work in Grants Management in either VA-Norfolk or NC-Raleigh.
I have visited these areas to visit family on occasion, but I don't actually know anything about them in depth. Which of these cities would be best best for a 32 year old, black, gay introverted bookworm.

About Me:
Black
Gay
32 years old
Home body
Introverted
Bookworm
I like to go out occasionally but a 24/7 thriving nightlife isn't at all that important to me
I LOVE museums and art galleries
I LOVE live concerts (symphony, opera, rap, rock, classical, etc)
I am a big foodie, been getting into vegan lately, but not at all a deal breaker.
I currently live in the country so somewhere that can deliver things right to my doorstep would be GREAT!
I love books and libraries, in fact my job offers are both working with library foundations.
I love parks and being close to the ocean, though the later does come with hurricanes.
Not overly outdoorsy, but I do like to sit outside and read and people watch and have a private picnic.
Price isn't a deal breaker either, but I can't afford a mansion. However, safety is paramount.
I'd love to be around other gay, esp black, gay men. So living somewhere more that slightly gay friendly is a must.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sorry if this seems like an interoffice email. Just wanna be clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 04:01 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,072,830 times
As a former resident I would 100% suggest the Raleigh area, specifically neighboring Durham. I'm LGBT as well and lived there for 7 wonderful years. It's known as the City of Arts and has outstanding facilities/performances year-round through the world-class Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC), every summer's ADF (American Dance Festival) on the campus of Duke University and at DPAC. Durham was named by Bon Appetit magazine as one of the top foodie cities in the US with James Beard quality chefs in various restaurants representing all kinds of ethnicities and mostly farm-to-table. Speaking of farms, there are fantastic farmers markets including the nearby national best-ranking markets in Carrboro and Chapel Hill plus fabulous gourmet markets like Foster's and down the road a few minutes in Chapel Hill with A Southern Season. Durham is about equally 50-50 black and white plus also home to one of the more prestigious HBCUs (North Carolina Central University) as well as neighboring Duke and in Chapel Hill, UNC. Between the three there is a very sizable population of gay black men in post-graduate studies, teaching/administration or employed at the university hospitals (Duke and UNC) plus the ginormous Research Triangle Park which straddles the Durham-Raleigh city line. For outdoors it's hard to beat hiking/picnicking in Duke Forest or along the Eno River in the state park on the north side of town. There's some great areas to grab a patio table and people watch at a coffee shop like along Ninth Street near Duke or Franklin Street near UNC. It's a pretty safe area generally speaking with pockets but you'll never find reason to go there and it certainly doesn't run rampant. Direct message if you like for more information, happy to answer questions!

Old 09-07-2022, 06:20 PM

Default Thanks

This is great! Thanks!

Old 09-09-2022, 07:41 AM

2,754 posts, read 2,432,149 times
I second Durham as well.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:34 AM

Thanks Everyone!

I seems like Raleigh is the choice! Which is great cause they need my answer today.

Triangle here I Come!

Old 09-10-2022, 11:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,201,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexclayton View Post
Thanks Everyone!

I seems like Raleigh is the choice! Which is great cause they need my answer today.

Triangle here I Come!
Congratulations. You have a lot to explore, and you might find yourself happy with several different locations or cities in the metro. I suppose that you'll have to balance your wants, needs, budget, and where you may have to actually attend in person office hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.