Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 09:01 PM

994 posts, read 782,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yeah I think above 5M an MSA pretty much has everything needed to be tier one. I know people get pissy when anything is listed with NYC but 5M and above are all top notch metros. NYC is definitely our #1 city, but we don't need to keep putting it alone in a tier all the time. You get top notch living in any one of our 5M cities.
If we are going off having everything that a tier 1 city/metro has, you can take that down even further to even some in the 2 million range (of course usually the bigger, it's more of). But having at least one of every major amenity isn't confined to 5-6 places.

Hell, I'd even take Buffalo or Milwaukee (less than 2 million) and say it has at least one of almost every single big city amenity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 11:54 AM

2,657 posts, read 2,102,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
This is city-data. Subjective lists are our raison d'etre.
Until it downward spirals.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:40 PM

860 posts, read 698,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Tier 1: 5+ million
Tier 2: 2 - 5 million
Tier 3: 1 - 2 million
Tier 4: 500k - 1m
Tier 5: <500k
This is probably the best assessment I've seen on here.

I might make a 1a tier for NYC and LA, but otherwise this hits it perfectly.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:33 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
If we are going off having everything that a tier 1 city/metro has, you can take that down even further to even some in the 2 million range (of course usually the bigger, it's more of). But having at least one of every major amenity isn't confined to 5-6 places.

Hell, I'd even take Buffalo or Milwaukee (less than 2 million) and say it has at least one of almost every single big city amenity.
There will be exceptions, but most 2M metros won't have the diversity of offerings I need in a city. True, they will have all of the basics and even have some cosmopolitan flair, but most would definitely not have everything a tier 1 metro has. You get to over 5M and you can find everything in those.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
There will be exceptions, but most 2M metros won't have the diversity of offerings I need in a city. True, they will have all of the basics and even have some cosmopolitan flair, but most would definitely not have everything a tier 1 metro has. You get to over 5M and you can find everything in those.
Like what, specifically?

Old 11-29-2022, 06:44 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,329,409 times
Quote:
It's not coincidence multiple cities tend to be clumped together in raw size irl.

500k-1 million MSA's are local centers of power. They have little to none cosmopolitan aspects.

2-4 million MSA's are the mid-major cities. They serve as regional economic hubs/anchors and or centers of power. Niche sectors and raw population size matter more in this tier than others when it comes to offerings and economic influence.

5-10 million MSA's are major cities and are economic anchors on a national scale. They are cosmopolitan in nature, are universally more economically diverse than their smaller counterparts and tend to have monopolizations on national industries.

10+ million MSA's (LA & NYC) are engrained in the global economy. They have planet wide influence in almost all sectors and are international magnets for investment, commerce & trade.

*Cities like Chicago, Seattle, Las Vegas, DC & SF, etc.. have aspects/industries that let them play in higher tiers.

Last edited by Joakim3; 11-29-2022 at 06:59 PM..

Old 11-29-2022, 06:50 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,329,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Like what, specifically?
It's more so a quantity comparison once you get north of 2 million. Big city amenities start becoming standard at these sizes

Last edited by Joakim3; 11-29-2022 at 06:58 PM..

Old 11-29-2022, 08:05 PM

860 posts, read 698,573 times
I mean

The 2-5 Million range always has international flights, but their flight service isn't really "global" (Overseas destinations can exist but are usually pretty limited, unless the city is a massive tourist destination like Orlando or Vegas).

The city at the top of the 2-5 Million range is Phoenix and the one at the bottom of the 5+ million range is Boston. Boston definitely has more classic "big city" amenities. It seems as if all the cities above 5 million are known globally and above 2 million are known nationally.

There are exceptions, but cities on the Global scale in the US are usually above 5 million in the metro area. DC, Boston, and Philadelphia have most of the same amenities that New York does.

Seattle is really the only place below 5 million that is sort of "Global".

Old 11-29-2022, 08:34 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
The Seattle-Olympia area was over 4.95M people last year. That is a ton closer to 5M than to 2M. So that's no stretch. I rank both Seattle and Detroit over Phoenix. Those two are closer to the 6M plus cities than they are to the next two 4M+ areas (Orlando-Lakeland and MSP).

There is a clear break between Orlando and MSP <<< Phoenix <<< Seattle and Detroit. Above that the differences are mainly just boosting

Old 11-29-2022, 08:51 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
My tiers would be something like this:

1. CSA 15 million+ :NY, LA
2. 9-10 million:Washington-Baltimore, Chicago, San Francisco
3. 6-8 million: Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta
4. 4-6 million: Seattle, Detroit, Phoenix, Orlando, MSP
5. 2-4 million
6. 1-2 million
7. 500 k - 1 million
8. 250 - 499
9. 100 - 249
10. 50 - 100
11. 20 - 49
Why isn't tier 2 8-10 million based on how your other tiers are laid out? DFW CSA is already over 8 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.