Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 07:23 PM

218 posts, read 156,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
My offhand guess would be somewhere like NOVA, a fast-growing region close to multiple other states, with people migrating there from around the country for jobs, not just from the nearby states.

When I lived in Fairfax County, only maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the plates I saw were Virginia, and even seeing plates from western states like California and Colorado was fairly common.

Tangentially: while it wasn't the highest license plate diversity, I was surprised by how many non-Nevada plates I saw in even a lot of the small towns in Nevada. Places like Lovelock (pop. 1800), hardly a cosmopolitan job center, had a large helping of Utah, Montana, and Idaho plates.
Lovelock is right on I-80, so wouldn't it stand to reason that it would have a large number of non-Nevada plates with people traveling on the interstate stopping to get gas, eat, and sleep (even with the paltry motel options compared to other towns on 80)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 07:30 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
In Boston, after Mass and Conn., the most common plates are NJ and then NY... then NH and RI.
Boy, do I not miss seeing those plates. I used to remember seeing all of those on that jammed packed I-95 corridor. All of them that touch I-95. Thing of it is, when i did live there, I never saw many from states that didn't touch I-95. Hardly ever any Iowa plates, Nebraska or Missouri, for instance.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:12 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
For random areas of interstate Kentucky has travelers from all over being the geographic center of the eastern US. Midwesterners must go through KY for the popular beach destinations. Very heavy flow of IL / MI / OH / WI vehicles on the north / south interstates during vacation season but a nice mix of states from all over at all times.

On my lone trip out West to Colorado there were in comparison far fewer out of state plates but a lot more rental plates (for states with some wording outing it as a fleet vehicle. Obviously most people from the coasts will fly to Denver then rent a car. Here in the East most people are a day's drive from home to destination so driving is preferred over flying. Most people are in their own vehicle not a rental with whichever random state.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:25 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
That little sectio of Arizona between Las Vegas and Salt Lake. Only one exit in Arizona, and back dirt roads leading to the rest of AZ. Sit there for hours and not see an AZ plate. For 200 Arizonans in Littlefield AZ, it's a 3-hour drive through Las Vegas to the nearest AZ plates in Kingman.

Last edited by arr430; 09-21-2022 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-21-2022, 08:59 AM

1,651 posts, read 867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
That little sectio of Arizona between Las Vegas and Salt Lake. Only one exit in Arizona, and back dirt roads leading to the rest of AZ. Sit there for hours and not see an AZ plate. For 200 Arizonans in Littlefield AZ, it's a 3-hour drive through Las Vegas to the nearest AZ plates in Kingman.
Pick any major domestic military base. You will see tags from all 50 states. Still recall my surprise seeing Alaska and Hawaii plates at an airbase located in the middle of Arkansas.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:01 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Anywhere in the northeast?

When I lived in Austin, I was a courier. I saw a license plate from each state at one point.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:24 PM

1,847 posts, read 833,583 times
It's not that hard to find 10+ different plates at a regular hotel along any freeway (at least not in the D/FW area).
During a 1 hour walk along the shore of Galveston Beach I decided to kept track of every out of state plate that wasn't a rental vehicle (been keeping track long enough to know when it's a rental). Wound up with 27 plates from 10 different states on a Monday evening. I'm sure that the Florida or California coastlines have even more variety.
In the D/FW area the rarest states are: Vermont, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine and W Virginia. Seen more Quebec plates then any of these states.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:28 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
Lovelock is right on I-80, so wouldn't it stand to reason that it would have a large number of non-Nevada plates with people traveling on the interstate stopping to get gas, eat, and sleep (even with the paltry motel options compared to other towns on 80)?
Oh, I meant while I was walking around a residential area. Like, in people's driveways.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:36 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
DelMarVa

Old 09-25-2022, 07:22 AM

2,597 posts, read 4,659,459 times
Default Boredatwork

Of course I'll say DC area again its a tourist town, people here on business/ work, colleges, military bases. Alot of southern plates whose destination is DC but nothing further north. Alot of northerners traveling south. I'm not just talking about I95 either but local roads. As the nation's capital I would expect to see a wide variety of plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.