Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 983 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I’m from an area where people are friendly to each other as in kind on roads like people let you in and have patience for eg. People also say hi to each other and don’t yell at people for being too slow and those type of things. I guess I mean very patient and chill. I visited the northeast like Newport and Martha’s Vineyard and I feel in love with these places. I didn’t drive or stay very long so I know I’m experience may not be like how it would be if I was a local. I’m really sensitive to aggressive environments where I have to constantly be on guard for an argument or rude people. I also heard that the Northeast has very aggressive driving and people don’t think twice of confronting you and those sort of things. I’m just wondering if there are towns/cities that are more chill and kind with driving and the people. Bonus points if the area is tolerant to Asians specifically Chinese people. Thank you all and hope this didn’t offend any one; I’m sure there are many kind people in this region but I’d like the vibe to be friendly too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 09:16 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Look in the Ithaca NY area in the town of Ithaca(different from the city of the same name) and town of Lansing. Both have above average Asian populations and the county(Tompkins)/metro area is about 10% Asian. Towns such as Amherst outside of Buffalo, Brighton and Henrietta outside of Rochester; DeWitt and Manlius outside of Syracuse; Vestal outside of Binghamton, New Hartford outside of Utica; Niskayuna, Colonie and Guilderland in the Albany are some other places that are nice communities with an Asian percentage around to well above the national percentage as a whole and/or in select areas of those towns.

All are relatively affordable compared to parts of the region closer to the coast. People Upstate tend to be more Down to Earth as well.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:59 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
Short exposure, but Pittsfield Mass seemed very friendy.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:54 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Look in the Ithaca NY area in the town of Ithaca(different from the city of the same name) and town of Lansing. Both have above average Asian populations and the county(Tompkins)/metro area is about 10% Asian. Towns such as Amherst outside of Buffalo, Brighton and Henrietta outside of Rochester; DeWitt and Manlius outside of Syracuse; Vestal outside of Binghamton, New Hartford outside of Utica; Niskayuna, Colonie and Guilderland in the Albany are some other places that are nice communities with an Asian percentage around to well above the national percentage as a whole and/or in select areas of those towns.

All are relatively affordable compared to parts of the region closer to the coast. People Upstate tend to be more Down to Earth as well.
Just to add to this, if you are looking to live near water, Ithaca is also on Cayuga Lake. While it isn’t like the coast, it is an option. https://www.visitithaca.com/attractions/cayuga-lake

Old 09-15-2022, 10:11 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
I have familly in Rochester New York, and I always recommend that area. You will have to suffer some nasty winters though.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:23 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
OP, check out Danbury CT

Old 09-16-2022, 11:17 AM

146 posts, read 152,315 times
My guess would be rural Pennsylvania.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:47 AM

914 posts, read 562,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I have familly in Rochester New York, and I always recommend that area. You will have to suffer some nasty winters though.
A not well known local secret is that the snow is significantly (like ~40%) less in some areas south of the Onondaga Escarpment, and tends to be powder that's comparatively easy to move/remove compared to heavy/wet ocean effect snow of coastal SE New England, for example. The winter issue is relatively cloudiness more than snow as such, the ROC is one of the sunnier spots along the US Great Lakes coastal regions (along with a region on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan).

Old 09-16-2022, 12:20 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP, check out Danbury CT
This, totally agree.

In my experience, folks from CT are some of the friendliest and helpful people I've ever met. Fairfield County, New Haven County, is well worth checking out.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:51 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This, totally agree.

In my experience, folks from CT are some of the friendliest and helpful people I've ever met. Fairfield County, New Haven County, is well worth checking out.
You're being sarcastic right?

I grew up in the area, and I'm pretty much 100% certain the inverse is the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.