Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 07:31 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
To be fair, the average American probably knows next to nothing about Albany, NY, yet its the capital of the state with the largest and most influential city.

I still vote for Boston, just saying that thats not a strong argument.
I can guarantee that a lot more Americans have heard of Albany, NY than any of those other cities in New England not named Boston. So your argument falls short right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 07:43 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I can guarantee that a lot more Americans have heard of Albany, NY than any of those other cities in New England not named Boston. So your argument falls short right there.
No way have more people heard of Albany than Hartford or Portland.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:16 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
There’s no way your average American is more familiar with the name Albany than Providence, Portland or Hartford.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:46 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
I really doubt that. Albany is on par with Hartford and Portland and certainly below Providence.

Who is thinking of Albany at any time in the year or as tied to any particular industry? How many people know Albany is even the capital of NY?

Old 10-09-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
No way have more people heard of Albany than Hartford or Portland.
That wasn't the OP. The average American definitely knows Albany more than they know Lowell, Nashua, Manchester or Concord.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I really doubt that. Albany is on par with Hartford and Portland and certainly below Providence.

Who is thinking of Albany at any time in the year or as tied to any particular industry? How many people know Albany is even the capital of NY?
That's not the comparison. The comparison was to the OP and those cities are Nashua, Manchester, Lowell and Concord. Albany beats all of those.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:25 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
That wasn't the OP. The average American definitely knows Albany more than they know Lowell, Nashua, Manchester or Concord.
Ah, gotcha. I missed the part of your post when you referenced the OP. Thought you meant “cities mentioned throughout the thread”.

Edit: I don’t know if Albany is more well-known than Lowell. I agree about the others.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:39 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

I mean you do learn state capitals in school. People might learn about Lowell in history class, but other than that just being a state capital elevated Albany above nearly every New England city that isn’t also a State Capital. (Maybe Yale/New Haven? Or Salem/Witches)

Hartford and Providence is certainly higher profile. “the Hartford” is a big insurance company or they get mail for Antena or Travelers. Providence College has an elite CBB and College Hockey team.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Ah, gotcha. I missed the part of your post when you referenced the OP. Thought you meant “cities mentioned throughout the thread”.

Edit: I don’t know if Albany is more well-known than Lowell. I agree about the others.
Yeah I could see an argument for Lowell. I mean I certainly know it from its Industrial Revolution prominence but I am also a history buff/major and love all things American history. Also when I was in HS/college HBO had that good documentary about Lowell's proud past and broken present (this was in the mid 90's so I'm dating myself) and the main character Boo-Boo. He was a crackhead but boy he was some character.

Old 10-09-2022, 11:55 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Not seeing Lowell as well known by the average American.

Keep in mind, this is City-Data so many of us are interested in geography and/or history. And on this thread, many of us are from the Northeast and especially from New England, so of course most of us heard of Lowell.

But the average American? I would say 80-90% never heard of Lowell and even many of those who have heard of it, do not know where it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.