Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2022, 12:18 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times

Advertisements

What are some incorporated towns/cities and counties that dont have, lossed or dont need own Emergency first responders, Jails or courts. By Emergency first responders, I mean police for towns/cities, sheriffs for counties, fire fighters, and ambulances.

After my roadtrip I took about a year ago to the KC, and after watching some vids on YT showcasing some small rural and shrinking towns, I began wondering about this. The downtowns are basically empty. The county or municipal courts, offices, and I assume the jail, and precincts will be located there. But if the center of the all the nearby towns/cities are like this perhaps best to consolidate these types of services. And if the nearby counties are in same situation than consolidation ought to extend further out.

From what I seen in person and on YT is that much of the business, and activity has moved to the highway junctions where there is the gas stations, strip malls, service stations for truckers. There are even hotels, and chinese buffets. Probably Walmart located there too. As these are located along the highways, then why not just make the Highway Patrol, or State Troopers the main and only LEOs for the area? Same for other the services. They probably dont even need a municipal govt or mayor anymore. Just let state capital run it.

When towns/cities get too small or cant afford, they rely on the County Sheriff. But it seems that some counties are getting so small in population that they dont really even need the Sheriff anymore. I cant even imagine how they can staff other services like fire department. Does every county need its own jail? Does every county even have a hospital or some kind of clinic anymore? Now I get there are forest/wild fires, but they usually light up in multiple locations simultaneously, so it's never a localized problem to begin with. A house or barn may burn down, but our country is so spread out in rural areas, the fire fighters will always be too late anyways.

Here is are examples of communities I am talking about. I am not sure there is any bigger or more bustling town in the same or nearby counties either. These are in Texas, and Texas is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6x5eqeRvHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvDTUW7ZYCs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.