Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 02:31 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,805,469 times

Advertisements

Currently, living in a rural town in Western Washington, having moved from a suburban town in Northern California, 30 years ago. We have adjusted, live as the locals, don't expect people to adjust to our ways.

Son, for career, was seeking outside Washington state. Northern Arkansas, is a possibility, .
If you're moved from a Western state to a Southern state, what adjustments ?did you make
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 12:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Why would anyone need to make adjustments? I moved from the south to the west, and I made no adjustments.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:40 AM

212 posts, read 230,386 times
Ya, people are different everywhere you go, but they are also the same. I’d just avoid any visible signs of queerness in Arkansas. Awhile back, it was a thing for a straight man to paint their nails in some sort of solidarity with the ***** community. A guy I know did this in Jonesboro and got kidnapped by Nazis and was held and tortured for months. They got him for attending a church like that

Old 10-05-2022, 05:34 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
Ya, people are different everywhere you go, but they are also the same. I’d just avoid any visible signs of queerness in Arkansas. Awhile back, it was a thing for a straight man to paint their nails in some sort of solidarity with the ***** community. A guy I know did this in Jonesboro and got kidnapped by Nazis and was held and tortured for months. They got him for attending a church like that
Umm

Old 10-05-2022, 07:14 AM

212 posts, read 230,386 times
And by ***** I mean *****, as in LGBTQ+

Does city-data automatically censor the word *****, but not queerness?

Anyway, please don’t “umm” at me when I’m the one with the good spelling, punctuation, and grammar, unlike the OP. Northern Arkansas is sadly a great place to experience many negative stereotypes about the South, in my opinion. I’m this close to saying the OP will fit in well with all the uneducated types but I’m not going to. I just wanted to warn them and I wish them the best

Old 10-05-2022, 10:35 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,735,467 times
What? I'm not optimistic and I lived nearby and have some familiarity -- how could this be a positive career move? I just don't know how an adjustment can be made because it is not typical south. There are tourism enclaves that might be okay and maybe college towns. It is a big area and there might be some similarities between rural western Washington state and some parts of northern Arkansas, depending on the exact location - Ozarks and Mississippi delta counties are somewhat different.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:32 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
And by ***** I mean *****, as in LGBTQ+

Does city-data automatically censor the word *****, but not queerness?

Anyway, please don’t “umm” at me when I’m the one with the good spelling, punctuation, and grammar, unlike the OP. Northern Arkansas is sadly a great place to experience many negative stereotypes about the South, in my opinion. I’m this close to saying the OP will fit in well with all the uneducated types but I’m not going to. I just wanted to warn them and I wish them the best
Ohh I was trying to piece together what the censored word was, thinking like you it couldn't possibly be a "q" one based on the inconsistency you mentioned and wondered if might be some more colorful language which kind of shaded my intepretation of the next part. That part where you mention an incredibly horrific incident (surely this made national news?) and maybe based on the first thing it read to me like casual kind of yeah its nice enough in Arkansas but ah yeah be careful my buddy had some bad luck like having loud neighbors or someone made a rude comment type of deal. I didn't know what to make of it

Old 10-05-2022, 08:59 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Ohh I was trying to piece together what the censored word was, thinking like you it couldn't possibly be a "q" one based on the inconsistency you mentioned and wondered if might be some more colorful language which kind of shaded my intepretation of the next part. That part where you mention an incredibly horrific incident (surely this made national news?) and maybe based on the first thing it read to me like casual kind of yeah its nice enough in Arkansas but ah yeah be careful my buddy had some bad luck like having loud neighbors or someone made a rude comment type of deal. I didn't know what to make of it
yeah......

if it made national news, it sure seems hard to find.

It's either malarkey or there's a whole lot more to the story that isn't being divulged.

I'm very familiar with that part of the world and it seems pretty far out there.
If indeed it happened, I can assure you that it's not a regular occurrence. Kinda feels silly to even have to type that sentence.

As to the thread, there are a lot of people from California who made their way to the Ozarks in both Missouri and Arkansas. They seem to like it just fine for the most part.
Not sure what adjustments they felt like they had to make.
Main thing would be to not go on about how much better things were where you're from. Nobody anywhere is going to like that.

Old 10-07-2022, 01:25 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,105,500 times
I moved from the Portland, OR area to Oklahoma City and then on to Virginia. I'd guess OKC is somewhat similar to northern Arkansas... not exactly, but some. Anyway, I had to get used to the oppressive heat/humidity mix in the summer months, and the bugs (tornado warnings too I guess). Fireflies were a cool new bug, but cockroaches and fire ants weren't as nice. We were in newly built homes in both locations, so we didn't see a lot of roaches, but lots of people complained about them in apartment complexes (blamed the neighbors), and sometimes you'd see them in trash that'd been around for a while, like outside a restaurant or in a park, etc. Otherwise, you're still in America, so people are pretty much the same, streaming the same shows, listening to the same music, watching youtube/tictoc videos. People were generally great in both locations, but likely more crime than rural Washington... just be aware and likely all will be fine.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:37 PM

327 posts, read 222,192 times
Based on my personal experience, people in the South are not nearly as carefree and cheerful as people in [Southern] California. Southerners are also not as chatty and smiley (in checkout lines at stores and other close quarters), although this varies depending on where you are located. I do find people in the South to be genuinely kinder and and more likely to take keen interest in another person. Californians and other Westerners can seem very self-interested, due to all of their activities, hobbies, interests, travel plans, etc., which ranges from amusing to nauseating. In the real South (i.e., not Florida or Northern Virginia), people are more deeply rooted within their states and local communities, and their pride for local businesses, charity causes and sports teams is reflective of that pride. Southerners who work in service jobs (e.g., waitresses, utility technicians, plumbers, etc.) are usually more attentive to customers and often better at their respective trades than Westerners, who seem more disengaged/disinterested by comparison. Those occupations often serve as careers in the South, where the cost of living is lower, instead of “jobs” out West, where the cost of living is substantially higher (and where there are more opportunists).

Last edited by Outer_Bluegrass; 10-07-2022 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.