Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 05:01 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,027,603 times

Advertisements

Blue Jays to Nationals? I’ve heard people moan about this drive in other threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 06:19 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
And what major league teams are there in either?

Yep, none.

Phoenix to Vegas is also not great - although US-93 is a direct route it's not exactly a good route.

Once they finish I-11 that's a different story, though.
oh whoops, I read it as MSAs. lol

Old 10-20-2022, 06:21 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
San Francisco 49ers and Las Vegas Raiders. If you take the most direct highway route, you exit the 5 near Bakersfield and then take CA 58 up and thru these mountains and into a desert landscape and then you catch the 15 North around Barstow, I hate that drive. I did it once, never again.
I actually liked that drive >_>

I took CA-99 instead of the 5 though.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:08 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
St. Louis to Minneapolis on US-61.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:49 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Which two major league hubs have the worst road drive between them? (Def: city with a team in MLB, NFL, NBA, except where there is geographical impediment) For example, Kansas City to Memphis
It's a fine and somewhat interesting drive, but no interstates.
KC to Memphis wouldn't be my first thought anyway since they don't have pro teams in the same sports and therefore never play each other.

St. Louis to the Twin Cities has no interstate link and they do have a couple of teams that would meet from time to time.

If you're going down to Houston from anywhere northeast of it (beyond New Orleans anyway), there's really no good link to it.

Indianapolis to Memphis has interstates, but not quite direct and not a particularly pleasant drive either.

Getting in and out of Salt Lake City can be a bit awkward and way out there for anyone not on the west coast, but the drives will have some scenery.

Cities in the east are generally linked up pretty well, but I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing some of those roads ever again. Too busy and crowded. I'd rather drive across Kansas... daily.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:54 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
I didn't see NHL in the OP but im counting it. I made the trip from Raleigh to Jacksonville once. I'm sure there's worse but anyone who has traveled I-95 from about Richmond to Jacksonville knows how dull it is. I guess the billboards for South of the Border provide some amusement.

And I'm seeing people posting DC to Baltimore? Maybe I got lucky with the traffic but I did it in, 45 minutes? Probably the shortest trip (distance-wise) between two such markets.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:09 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
If you're going down to Houston from anywhere northeast of it (beyond New Orleans anyway), there's really no good link to it.
I've actually done Boston-Houston and Houston-DC before (the latter as recently as last year). It's long, but really not that circuitous and there are multiple all-interstate route options. The best route, in my experience, is I-10 to 59/75/40/81/78/etc. along the Appalachian ridge. The interstate numbers change quite a bit along the way due to interstates merging and diverging, but once you get on 59 in LA, it's really a straight shot heading northeast until the 78/287 interchange in New Jersey. There are other relatively parallel, mostly interstate alternate options that will give you a similar ETA (via GA/Carolinas/VA, or interior via AR/TN/KY/OH) which is not the case with many other city/region pairs. I'd much rather fly, but not the worst long drive.

Old 10-21-2022, 11:31 AM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post

Indianapolis to Memphis has interstates, but not quite direct and not a particularly pleasant drive either
Funny that for these two it's exactly what I-69 is being built for...if it ever gets done before 2050, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I've actually done Boston-Houston and Houston-DC before (the latter as recently as last year). It's long, but really not that circuitous and there are multiple all-interstate route options. The best route, in my experience, is I-10 to 59/75/40/81/78/etc. along the Appalachian ridge. The interstate numbers change quite a bit along the way due to interstates merging and diverging, but once you get on 59 in LA, it's really a straight shot heading northeast until the 78/287 interchange in New Jersey. There are other relatively parallel, mostly interstate alternate options that will give you a similar ETA (via GA/Carolinas/VA, or interior via AR/TN/KY/OH) which is not the case with many other city/region pairs. I'd much rather fly, but not the worst long drive.
I-59 -> I-24 -> I-75 -> I-40 -> I-81 -> I-66 (to DC/Baltimore) or I-76 (to Philly) or I-78 (to NYC) is definitely the way to go, and quicker than I-65 -> I-85 -> I-95.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:37 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Denver Broncos / KC Chiefs

Have never actually driven across the Great Plains but I've never heard anything good about the drive.
If you like straight, flat, and empty, the drive across the Great Plains is heavenly. Denver to Kansas City couldn't be easier; just get on I-70 eastbound and keep going until you run into KC. Or you die of boredom; whichever comes first.

As for poor road connectivity with other teams, the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors and the Barrow Whalers would like to have a word.

Old 10-21-2022, 11:47 PM

20 posts, read 9,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I actually liked that drive >_>

I took CA-99 instead of the 5 though.
I5 or 99 are not the worst stretches. These stretches are rather pleasant compared to the 5 to 6 hr drive from Bakersfield over the Tehachapi Pass down into the Mojave Desert to Bartow and then 160 miles on I15 to Vegas with all the LA traffic going to Vegas. Absolutely insane drive. Its the same craziness going back. Its also just as bad if you go East I80 to 95 in Nevada and then down to Vegas. Most of it is two lane through high desert and very remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.