Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
With the food shortage right now, E85 is going to have supply issues. Be prepared.
Yep, you are so right. We have flex fuel so we can use either gas or ethanol. Just had wanted to use ethanol thinking this was eco-conscious thing to do.

What I don't understand is . . . why did we get into using corn? Brazil is nearly gas-free - they manufacture their own fuel using sugar cane. Now why didn't we do that??? Why wouldn't we have patterned our ethanol program off Brazil's highly successful program? I think we have idiots in Congress, as they are subsidizing this whole corn-ethanol debacle. I am pretty disgusted about it. People like me are interested in buying ethanol and cutting back on imported gas, but look what a mess our gov't has made of this!!! And throwing us into high costs on food - and shortages, at that! The whole thing makes NO SENSE to me!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 04:43 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
get a diesel vehicle and convert to grease Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems

At least the high price of corn is helping eliminate high fructose corn syrup from many food products.
Actually that's not 100% accurate. HFCS is still cheap as compared to real sugar and the alternatives.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:16 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep, you are so right. We have flex fuel so we can use either gas or ethanol. Just had wanted to use ethanol thinking this was eco-conscious thing to do.

What I don't understand is . . . why did we get into using corn? Brazil is nearly gas-free - they manufacture their own fuel using sugar cane. Now why didn't we do that??? Why wouldn't we have patterned our ethanol program off Brazil's highly successful program? I think we have idiots in Congress, as they are subsidizing this whole corn-ethanol debacle. I am pretty disgusted about it. People like me are interested in buying ethanol and cutting back on imported gas, but look what a mess our gov't has made of this!!! And throwing us into high costs on food - and shortages, at that! The whole thing makes NO SENSE to me!!!!
Actually, It's all processed and Corn became the first. I could go int oa lot of information about this, but it would detract from your original question. Corn, Soy Bean, Even Saw Grass all can create a fuel type. You look at the ratios of the food processing and Corn is one of the lowest producing products. Switch Grass is one of the top and offers so many benefits. This topic is so facinating, I highly recommened everyone to check it out.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Actually, It's all processed and Corn became the first. I could go int oa lot of information about this, but it would detract from your original question. Corn, Soy Bean, Even Saw Grass all can create a fuel type. You look at the ratios of the food processing and Corn is one of the lowest producing products. Switch Grass is one of the top and offers so many benefits. This topic is so facinating, I highly recommened everyone to check it out.
It is fascinating. Do you know why Brazil has been so successful in implementing their ethanol production - and we have not followed suit? I think it all comes down to farm subsidies and bad congressional legislation. And really - that is not off topic - we are talking about finding ethanol, and I would think whatever is related to why it is such a controversial product fits.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 PM

138 posts, read 413,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Actually e85 was selling for about $3.20 yesterday near my house. And the newer flex fuel cars since 2007 get similar gas mileage with it.
They actually do not get anywhere near the mileage as a regular fuel vehicle. If you are considering an E85 flexfuel vehicle be sure to llok at the "extra" sticker which outlines the mileage comparison for a tank of gas vs a tank of E85. The difference will truly shock you. E85 gets a lot fewer miles to the tankful.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
I think you will find that the Brazilian Government is not in bed with the oil companies.

Coming from the UK where we where used to high gas prices, my first impression (when I was paying $1.09 in Miami) was that the us is very wasteful in using fossil fuels, that still appears to be the case today.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think it all comes down to farm subsidies and bad congressional legislation.
BINGO - at the end of any mystery is money!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:21 AM

422 posts, read 758,901 times
Only 1% of the ethanol produced goes into E-85. The other 99% goes into E-10.

It's funny how people change their minds so quickly. A year ago, the media was all on the "ethanol is the greatest thing ever" band wagon. While I don't think that's necessarily the case, I do think that bio-fuels are the only real long term solution. Global oil production has peaked, while demand continues to grow. America's oil production peaked decades ago in 1970. In the long term, fuel will have to come from agricultural sources, and higher food prices will be an obvious (and necessary) trade off. It's better to start experimenting and developing a market for alternative fuels in this country now, than to wait until gas hits $10 a gallon.

Also whatever "subsidies" there are for ethanol pales in comparison to America's Middle East policy which exists only for securing access to oil. Even before the Iraq war, this was costing tens of billions a year to have troops in the region, patrol the waters to ward off pirates, etc. These are all effectively subsidies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.