Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 01:06 PM

11 posts, read 9,897 times

Advertisements

I have it narrowed down to 4 states. Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina, West Virginia. I would love to find a small quiet, safe, low crime to no crime area, conservative rural, country town. I am not worried about school districts; my kids are grown. I work from home. I wouldn't mind living next to a horse farm, as long as it's not a kill farm. I am seeking to rent first and, driving to shop is not a problem. Rent range anywhere from 950-1300. I have a dog and, would like to get another, so pets allowed is very important. I am not a busybody, I mind my own business, can't stand drama. I just want peace and quiet, I don't want to deal with ghetto attitudes etc. I searched Tennessee areas, NE and NW. West Virginia, I don't know where to begin. Florida, I figured the mid or northern parts, but I don't know. As far as North Carolina goes at first, I started out on the eastern part of NC. But I think the Western part is more for me. Again, please add more states that you know may be like the scenario I described. I would really appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 01:41 PM

8,507 posts, read 8,825,111 times
How small a country town? 5-10,000 people? Under 2500? Up to 25k?

" ...as long as it's not a kill farm..."
So you want a "country town" but no livestock nearby you? Then stick to town or suburban subdivisions and don't look at / ask about many of your neighborhood places / practices.

"I am not a busybody, I mind my own business, can't stand drama." Then you won't be talking about, judging , trying to change anybody's choice to raise / use livestock for direct consumption and / or livelihood?

Do you, your children and / or family pets eat any meat from "kill farms" (or the ocean) now or in past?

Do you have experience in "country towns"? How big? How "country"? What part of the country?

Questions you can answer or not as you wish. Here and now and probably in that future country town.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-10-2022 at 02:14 PM..

Old 11-10-2022, 04:03 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,669,588 times
You can probably find what you're looking for in all of the places you've named. It might help if you could narrow your choices a bit. Do you like a four-season climate? Do you prefer hills or flatlands? How far from a major or semi-major city do you want to be? Do you want to be near an interstate highway? Things of that sort.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:08 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
Your housing budget is too low for NC and FL in terms of anything decent/safe. I would focus on WV and TN. Perhaps around the Tri-Cities in east TN and around Lewisburg in southeast WV.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:17 PM

10,093 posts, read 14,487,209 times
Here are my recommendations for each state, based on your general described details--

Florida-
Altamonte Springs, FL - suburb of Orlando
Conway, FL - suburb of Orlando

For me, if picking Florida for full-time living, I would steer clear of the coast, just due to the pain of moving due to hurricane season. Jacksonville also is worth looking into, for the suburbs, since they are very low risk for hurricanes, even though they are on the coast.

North Carolina-
Asheboro, NC
Henderson, NC

Asheville and the region is beautful and highly desirable. But pricey for rentals.

Tennessee-
Jonesborough, TN
Rogersville, TN
Elizabethton, TN
Gray, TN

Look at the whole tri-cities region. There are 3 primary cities, Johnson City (70k), Kingsport (55k) and Bristol (TN side 28k, VA side 17k).

If you want access to a bigger city, look at the Knoxville region. The Maryville/Alcoa region is nice and growing, but small enough still to feel "small town." About 30 min from Knoxville.

West Virginia-
Fairmont, WV
Bluefield, WV
Princeton, WV

Old 11-10-2022, 06:07 PM

6,637 posts, read 4,324,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Your housing budget is too low for NC and FL in terms of anything decent/safe. I would focus on WV and TN. Perhaps around the Tri-Cities in east TN and around Lewisburg in southeast WV.
This is a good recommendation!

Old 11-10-2022, 06:27 PM

146 posts, read 152,958 times
Have you considered Kentucky?

Old 11-10-2022, 09:49 PM

93,617 posts, read 124,322,716 times
For WV; Fayetteville, Shepherdstown and Elkins are a few other places to look into.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:31 PM

2,354 posts, read 2,314,193 times
Franklin, NC comes to mind.

Old 11-11-2022, 01:07 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Here are my recommendations for each state, based on your general described details--

Florida-
Altamonte Springs, FL - suburb of Orlando
Conway, FL - suburb of Orlando
The rest of your options were pretty spot on, but the FL choices were way off the mark. Neither is small or country-like and average rent is well above her budget in both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.