Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 09:20 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Does all this high-level suburban living mean that most of the South Asian immigrants are middle- or upper-middle class folks? Are most of them in finance, or like engineers, techies, doctors, business owners and the like? Most immigrants who come here from around the world are poor, so why are we getting what looks like the cream of the crop from South Asia? Or are the better-off folks from there just more high-profile, and we just overlook the types who wash dishes in restaurants and drive cabs?
Yes, they are pretty wealthy.

When I was in college, a number of my professors were from Bangladesh. I could not understand their accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Indians are not all of South Asians, though, even though they are the largest group by far.

But you are correct - even the relatively less well off Pakistani or Nepali or Bangladeshi don't come to US for menial labor - they go to Middle East for those. If they can come to US they are more than likely somewhat wealthy already and is somewhat educated. The Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Nepali may not be doctors or work at tech, but many likely own small businesses and ain't working in construction etc.

Any people that wash dishes? They are probably doing so in a restaurant owned by their relatives.
==========
tl;dr: When it comes to US most South Asians that moves here are already doing somewhat better back home already. The less well off South Asians are those laborers in Middle East (just look at Qatar and WC stadiums), probably managed by, well, wealthy South Asians.
South Asians in NYC dominate the roofing, and siding/pointing or I guess building exterior maintenance business. But they dont do the actual work. They make the sales pitches under cutting everyone because they use illegal labor, and pull permits somehow. Then they have the illegal immigrants do the actual work.

This too is a bad thing. I may be able to pay cheap prices for exterior work, but I will pay more in other ways.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:56 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
South Asian immigration is selective immigration. They come here with enough money to speculate on Hotels, Gasoline stations, Convenient stores. Then they hire illegal immigrants to keep costs down. Well, they at least man the cash register. Some owners dont even do that.

This is actually a bad thing like H1B visas. Ownership and investing/speculating is also a competitive endeavour. Too much of it ups the bidding price.
What's crazy is I've known Anglo-Americans that have hired illegals.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What's crazy is I've known Anglo-Americans that have hired illegals.
That does happen as well. But I say is worse if an immigrant comes and does that. They not only are competition for owners and investing because the more bidders up the bidding price. They also cause the lower end wages to be depressed by hiring illegals. Its a double whammy for Murka. They are not the only ones doing it though. The asian ethnic restaurants do this too.

Old 11-25-2022, 11:57 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Many East-Asian and African immigrants are doing the same thing. A lot of them move to newer suburban communities.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:28 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
That does happen as well. But I say is worse if an immigrant comes and does that. They not only are competition for owners and investing because the more bidders up the bidding price. They also cause the lower end wages to be depressed by hiring illegals. Its a double whammy for Murka. They are not the only ones doing it though. The asian ethnic restaurants do this too.
What makes you think they’re all actually illegal though? Also being a dishwasher in an Asian restaurant isn’t something most Americans are willing to do

Old 11-25-2022, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What makes you think they’re all actually illegal though? Also being a dishwasher in an Asian restaurant isn’t something most Americans are willing to do
Is it possible some are actually legal? Maybe some are. But with the figures MSM is spouting about illegals, some definitely are illegal. It be willful ignorance to deny this.

If a business is that desperate for a worker they will have to raise wages. Its just the way life is suppose to work. Or they just have to do the work themselves. They save money that way. Or if that still wont work, they can recruit overseas, but those migrants will go through proper channels, and they will be LEGAL migrant workers.

Old 06-29-2023, 06:53 PM

1,555 posts, read 780,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierlifter View Post
It's interesting but's one ethnic group in America that seems to not to move at first to the inner city then eventually move out to the suburbs but they seem to move right into the suburbs from the start. From what I've read this group seems to want to move to wherever the best schools are so that would make sense and they all seem to cluster on one or two school districts.

In my travels I've seen a few Little India's spring up in suburban areas that weren't like that at all not long ago. For Dallas, Frisco, For Houston, Sugar Land, In New Jersey, Edison, In the north Atlanta suburbs etc, and parts of Toronto feel more like Mumbai.

Have you noticed this trend in an area near you? The population of India is over a billion so I assume this trend worth watching for the future, maybe second to Mexican immigration. It doesn't sound like it's talked about a lot.
SA's with kids want to move near good schools. They will sacrifice their own qualify to life and money to make sure their kids have a better life. I don't agree with this that is how it works.

You also get cheaper rent/RE prices in suburbs.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:55 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
We live in N ATL suburbs. My daughter is Indian, and she definitely doesn't stand out.

Old 07-01-2023, 02:59 PM

994 posts, read 782,180 times
Cleveland/Akron doesn't have a huge south Asian population, but it's steadily growing and here it seems like a mix between inner city enclaves, highly educated straight to the burbs in McMansions, straight to the burbs lower income immigrants and college students.

Cleveland's historical Chinatown (just east of downtown) still has a high percentage of Asians, but it's now more of a catch all Asian neighborhood (roughly 25-50 percent Asian), with South Asians moving in. ... why the city rebranded "Chinatown" into "Asiatown."

In Akron, inner city North Hill has become in essence an Asian dominant neighborhood. North High School in Akron is the only Asian majority HS in Ohio. That is mainly lower income immigrants/refugees from Bhutan, Nepal, Laos, Cambodia, etc. That community is starting to gain more money and spill into neighboring suburbs like Cuyahoga Falls and Tallmadge.

Then, you have the fast growing Indian population that is almost entirely in the burbs, but a mix between high and lower income. In places like Middleburg Heights, Strongsville, you have a significant number of Indians who live in the $300-400,000 subdivisions and probably an even bigger number who live in some of the older, working to lower income apartment complexes that are nearby. The Islander apartments in Middleburg Heights is easily the most noticeable. Probably 1,000 units with it being 90 percent Indian now. A roofing company I worked for in the early 2000s was contracted to do repairs on a bunch of units there and we would knock on the doors to let the residents know we'd be up there. Even 25 years ago, I'd say it was like 50 percent Indian. The apartment complexes on the Strongsville side of the street (probably 2,000 plus units) seemed like they also had a significant number of Indians.

Then you have University Circle/Little Italy which also has a big mix of Asian residents, those are mostly Case students and employees at Cleveland Clinic/University Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.