Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2022, 08:23 PM

297 posts, read 251,407 times

Advertisements

I was looking into the issue of stress in various cities across the Country. Stress in my research is often correlated with negative posts about the city from people who have moved there and regret it.

I came across what I believe are some good tabulations based on good data at bestplaces

Just search bestplace, cities and stress and you will find the links and the methodology which appears quite sound. Separate list for large, medium and small cities.

My purpose in posting this is to ask YOUR opinon of cities you have lived in if the study coincides with your experience of stress in that city?

Here are a few examples of some cities I was looking at. The lower the score, the higher the stress level. Ranking/number of cities.

STRESS CITIES BESTPLACES

SPRINGFIELD,MO 68/134=.51

TOPEKA,KS 31/117=.26

FORT SMITH, AR 48/114=.42

KANSAS CITY, MO 25/100=.25

INDIANAPOLIS, IN 48/100=.48

TUCSON 30/100=.30

LAS VEGAS 4/100=.04

MPLS 96/100=.96

Last edited by Steveareeno5; 11-24-2022 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 11:18 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,030,383 times
Currently live south of Indianapolis and I don't find it particularly stressful. I would say living in Chicago was much more stressful than living in Indy due to the constantly rising COL.

Old 11-27-2022, 03:42 PM

Default KC and Indy; stress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Currently live south of Indianapolis and I don't find it particularly stressful. I would say living in Chicago was much more stressful than living in Indy due to the constantly rising COL.
Thanks for your reply.

I was surprised that Indy was rated more stressful than KC. And the user reviews for Indy were like one star as opposed to 3 stars for KC.

I did not post the links to the bestplaces lists of stressful cities because it comes up immediately on a google search. One list for big, medium and small cities with about 100 cities on each list. The boring places are the least stressful. Las Vegas is very high on the stress index.

Old 11-28-2022, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 4,748 times
I live in Manhattan, where stress is an ingrained way of life.

The cost of living is insane, the job market (while huge and diverse) is very competitive, and your career/success is a big identity marker. Combine that with the never-ending noise and crowds, and it's nothing short of a miracle the whole island doesn't lose their minds.

Would I want to live anywhere else? Nope. It's pushed me to thrive, especially professionally, in a way I probably would not have if I lived in a more relaxed city.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,789,377 times
Seattle, where I work is 163rd most stressful. That seems low to me, however. With only 65,000 in our city (Sammamish) it's not on the list at all. I did find that most measures of stress include:

Percentage of population with a long commute (over 30 minutes)
Unemployment Rate
Hours worked
Population density
Percentage of income spent on rent
Percentage of population without health insurance

In our city, those numbers (below) would indicate a very low stress level.

Percentage of population with a long commute (over 30 minutes) Average commute 34.1 minutes, so low
Unemployment Rate Negligible
Hours worked (unknown)
Population density 3,514 people per square mile (very low)
Percentage of income spent on rent Very few rentals, with 86% homeowners
Percentage of population without health insurance Negligible

Old 11-30-2022, 10:36 PM

Default that's fine except that

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestOfEdge View Post
I live in Manhattan, where stress is an ingrained way of life.

The cost of living is insane, the job market (while huge and diverse) is very competitive, and your career/success is a big identity marker. Combine that with the never-ending noise and crowds, and it's nothing short of a miracle the whole island doesn't lose their minds.

Would I want to live anywhere else? Nope. It's pushed me to thrive, especially professionally, in a way I probably would not have if I lived in a more relaxed city.
Stress can take years off your life. The only time I would even consider living in NYC is if I was rich.
It's an exciting place and I like NYorkers. But no way I'd live there. I know of at least a few people I've met who moved precisely because the stress level was so high. One guy told me NYorkers would heckle him while he ws playing golf.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:39 PM

Default Spent a couple months in Seattle but long ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Seattle, where I work is 163rd most stressful. That seems low to me, however. With only 65,000 in our city (Sammamish) it's not on the list at all. I did find that most measures of stress include:

Percentage of population with a long commute (over 30 minutes)
Unemployment Rate
Hours worked
Population density
Percentage of income spent on rent
Percentage of population without health insurance

In our city, those numbers (below) would indicate a very low stress level.

Percentage of population with a long commute (over 30 minutes) Average commute 34.1 minutes, so low
Unemployment Rate Negligible
Hours worked (unknown)
Population density 3,514 people per square mile (very low)
Percentage of income spent on rent Very few rentals, with 86% homeowners
Percentage of population without health insurance Negligible
I liked that Seattlites tended to mind their own business and not be confrontational. Also Seattle has a very developed generous social help network. Population density is a big factor in stress I think.

Old 12-05-2022, 01:10 PM

327 posts, read 228,040 times
Cost of living (especially real estate prices), average commute time and unemployment rate are typically used as benchmarks of stress in a city or metropolitan area, but often, those stress factors are irrelevant/non-applicable to a many individuals because of their unique circumstances.

For example, if someone living in Los Angeles, CA has no mortgage payment and low property taxes due to CA Prop. 13, then the exorbitantly high real estate prices in Los Angeles are probably not major stressors for that individual.

Another example - traffic in Austin, TX is exceptionally bad, but if a local resident works remotely from home and rarely, if ever, ventures to an office/worksite, then he/she can avoid/circumvent the heaviest traffic.

Also, every person measures and handles environmental stress differently. For example, despite relatively low traffic by national standards, I find driving in and around Providence, RI to be rather stressful due to archaic roadway infrastructure (i.e., narrow roads with horribly bad pavement), temperamental driving habits (e.g., speeding, tailgating, unnecessary breaking on highways, limited turn signal usage, etc.) and hideout cops everywhere you look.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:40 AM

Default point taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
Cost of living (especially real estate prices), average commute time and unemployment rate are typically used as benchmarks of stress in a city or metropolitan area, but often, those stress factors are irrelevant/non-applicable to a many individuals because of their unique circumstances.

For example, if someone living in Los Angeles, CA has no mortgage payment and low property taxes due to CA Prop. 13, then the exorbitantly high real estate prices in Los Angeles are probably not major stressors for that individual.

Another example - traffic in Austin, TX is exceptionally bad, but if a local resident works remotely from home and rarely, if ever, ventures to an office/worksite, then he/she can avoid/circumvent the heaviest traffic.

Also, every person measures and handles environmental stress differently. For example, despite relatively low traffic by national standards, I find driving in and around Providence, RI to be rather stressful due to archaic roadway infrastructure (i.e., narrow roads with horribly bad pavement), temperamental driving habits (e.g., speeding, tailgating, unnecessary breaking on highways, limited turn signal usage, etc.) and hideout cops everywhere you look.
Statistics are just that, and often don't apply to individuals. From memory the variables used in the bestplaces cited study seemed pretty logical. Suicide rate is one factor that I think may apply generally across people. Alcoholism and divorce rate are two others

Old 12-08-2022, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,602 times
Stressful now Ukrainian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.