Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 12:47 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

What is the most beautiful large city in New England? (100,000+)

Boston

What is the most beautiful smaller city in New England? (15,000-99,999)

Burlington, VT

What is the most beautiful small city/town/village in New England (>15,000)

Portsmouth NH, Marblehead MA, Simsbury CT

Where can you find the most beautiful mountain range in New England?

White Mountains

What is the most beautiful mountain in New England?

Not sure.

What is the most beautiful beach in New England?

Mayflower Beach on Cape Cod or somewhere on Nantucket

What is the nicest drive in New England?

That highway in NH that starts with a K. Also, the Merritt is real nice.

Where is the best nightlife in New England?

Providence, RI

What train line has the nicest ride in New England?

The Amtrak route that goes from Hartford CT to Burlington VT via Brattleboro

Where is the best shopping in New England?

Boston

Where can you take the nicest walk through a town in New England?

North End, Boston for Urban Walk

Where is the best place to hike in New England?

Acadia?

What is the nicest state in New England?

Massachusetts>Connecticut>New Hampshire>Vermont>Maine>Rhode Island

Where are the friendliest people in New England?

Vermont or Connecticut. Some parts of CT are like a Hallmark Christmas movie and its so wholesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 01:55 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
What is the most beautiful large city in New England? (100,000+)
Boston

What is the most beautiful smaller city in New England? (15,000-99,999)
Portsmouth, NH

Nantucket, MA

Where can you find the most beautiful mountain range in New England?
Hop on the Conway Scenic Railroad

What is the most beautiful mountain in New England?
Mount Mansfield

What is the most beautiful beach in New England?
Outer Cape, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard... Pick a beach

What is the nicest drive in New England?
Route 100, VT

Where is the best nightlife in New England?
Boston

What train line has the nicest ride in New England?
Amtrak Vermonter line

Where is the best shopping in New England?
Boston

Where can you take the nicest walk through a town in New England?
Newport, RI

Where is the best place to hike in New England?
Acadia National Park

What is the nicest state in New England?
Massachusetts

Where are the friendliest people in New England?
Burlington, VT

A few of these are impossible to answer.. Like nicest town to walk around. Newport, or Burlington, or Marblehead, or Camden, or Newburyport, or Qgunquit... There's dozens that come to mind.

Or nicest drive... Could be 100, could be Old Canada Road Byway, could be Kancamagus Scenic Highway.. Just depends on mood, and time of year.

Old 11-28-2022, 02:24 PM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
What is the most beautiful large city in New England? (100,000+) Boston, easily for me. Providence is a distant number 2.

What is the most beautiful smaller city in New England? (15,000-99,999) Burlington, VT. 2nd place is Newport, RI and 3rd is Portsmouth, NH.

Bar Harbor, ME is my number 1. Number 2 is Rockport, MA and number 3 would be Woodstock, VT.

Where can you find the most beautiful mountain range in New England? Hard to beat the Presidential Range. Especially the view from Bretton Woods.

What is the most beautiful mountain in New England? Katahdin. It's gorgeous, rugged, and isolated.

What is the most beautiful beach in New England? Really anything on the Cape Cod National Seashore.

What is the nicest drive in New England? Kancamagus Highway. Ocean Drive in Newport is awesome but comparatively short.

Where is the best nightlife in New England? Boston and then Providence.

What train line has the nicest ride in New England? Conway Scenic if we're counting tourist trains. Maybe the Amtrak Downeaster if it has to be actual passenger service. It's not all pretty, but the stretch through the Scarborough Marshes and OOB is nice.

Where is the best shopping in New England? Wrentham (kidding). But seriously, it's gotta be Boston.

Where can you take the nicest walk through a town in New England? Tough to beat the Feedom Trail and Harborwalk in Boston. The Cliffwalk in Newport is up there as is Church St. in Burlington.

Where is the best place to hike in New England? Franconia Notch - specifically the Franconia Ridge Loop.

What is the nicest state in New England? Maine wins for natural beauty, Massachusetts wins for being well-rounded.

Where are the friendliest people in New England? Maine in my experience.

***Editing to add my own***
Where can you find the best beer? Vermont has the best breweries at the state level, but Portland, ME has the best concentration of breweries at the city level if you want to hit a few over the span of a day or two.

Where can you find the best skiing?
Vermont has the best concentration of great ski areas and arguably the best snow. Maine has my single favorite ski area (Sugarloaf).

Old 11-28-2022, 02:34 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
Best Lobstah in New England?

Maine

Old 11-28-2022, 02:48 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Best Lobstah in New England?

Maine
Well sure Maine is always the best for lobster, but one can get a good lobster roll in Connecticut, RI, and anywhere on the New England coast. Head to Ipswich and the North Shore of Mass for clams. Cape Cod is great for scallops and I also had the best grilled swordfish there.

Boston's North End is always great for Italian, but Federal Hill in Providence is my favorite Little Italy in New England as it still has a palpable old world Italian American feel. Apizza in New Haven is definitely worth writing home about. Vermont's great for farmers markets, beer, and cheese.

Old 11-28-2022, 02:51 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
^Maine Amato's Italian sandiwches and Vermonter sandwiches both reign supreme over North Shore MA roast beef.

Old 11-28-2022, 03:04 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
^Maine Amato's Italian sandiwches and Vermonter sandwiches both reign supreme over North Shore MA roast beef.
I've only had pizza at Amato's, but Maine is hard to get to from Vermont. Cranston, RI has a Little Italy neighborhood of its own, I had the best Italian sub there last summer. My guy loves North Shore Roast beef and swears by Bill and Bob's in Salem, and their onion rings.

Old 11-28-2022, 03:24 PM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Oh man, I don’t know if I have ever disagreed with you more on this forum lol. I lived a few doors down from Amato’s in Portland and while their sandwiches are OK, they’re not what I would consider special at all. For an Italian sandwich, there are about a billion Italian Delis in the Boston area and Providence area that do them much better. I’ve been on a Milano’s kick in Eastie but I live closer to Meridian Market which does an excellent one too. Amato’s doesn’t really belong in the same sentence.

North Shore roast beef is an entirely different thing (hot sandwich vs cold cut). Very much a niche sandwich and not all of them are created equal. I like Jamie’s in Peabody, Nick’s Pizza, Subs, and Roast Beef in Beverly (not to be confused with Nick’s Roast Beef, also in Beverly), and Anthony’s in Tewksbury. A good beef is warm, melt-in-your-mouth tender (not that chewy crap Kelly’s serves), and roasted (rare) and sliced in-house (like this gem). If I’m in a mood for it, a super beef 3-way from either of those places is unbeatable. But I have to plan on staying in for the rest of the night because it sits like a rock. I could do a good Italian every day.

Old 11-28-2022, 08:58 PM

1,043 posts, read 682,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
These are the same question? town between 15,000 and 99,999 and town larger than 15,000?
Crap. I meant to write <

Old 11-28-2022, 09:00 PM

1,043 posts, read 682,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Vermont or Connecticut. Some parts of CT are like a Hallmark Christmas movie and its so wholesome.
Could you give me a town or two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.