Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 04:07 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,446,085 times

Advertisements

Why is it that this country has so many African American neighborhoods but most aren’t like Harlem?

It would be nice to see more African American neighborhoods with the cultural capital and commercial capital that Harlem has.

I just wish there were more African American neighborhoods like Harlem, that are dotted with barber shops, African American (or soul- food) restaurants, churches, even cultural venues like the Apollo.

In Harlem, they even have street vendors (which is common in many NYC ethnic neighborhoods, but still worth noting out.) some even serving bean soups.

I know Bronzeville in Chicago has some black owned businesses.

Are there any other African American neighborhoods in the country like Harlem or maybe even Bronzeville in Chicago?

Does Philly have neighborhoods like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 04:36 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
I mean, do you know the history of black people in this country? We had plenty of neighborhoods like this until many historical events took place. One was the Tulsa race riot. Things such as the interstate highway act, the end of WWII and G.I. Bills, suburbs being built, white flight, and the war on drugs, are some things that have helped kill black neighborhoods.

Claiborne Blvd in New Orleans used to be exactly that, black owned banks, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc existed there until the neighborhoods main commercial road was turned into the Claiborne bridge, an elevated portion of I-10. That bridge is now home to crime, drug use, and homelessness.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:11 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Why is it that this country has so many African American neighborhoods but most aren’t like Harlem?

It would be nice to see more African American neighborhoods with the cultural capital and commercial capital that Harlem has.

I just wish there were more African American neighborhoods like Harlem, that are dotted with barber shops, African American (or soul- food) restaurants, churches, even cultural venues like the Apollo.

In Harlem, they even have street vendors (which is common in many NYC ethnic neighborhoods, but still worth noting out.) some even serving bean soups.

Are there any other African American neighborhoods in the country like Harlem or maybe even Bronzeville in Chicago?

There are many cities in the United States but none are like NYC. Not even close.

There are cultural black hoods everywhere coast to coast. None are as large or as influential as Harlem. Pittsburgh’s Hill district was legendary but fell from grace long ago. It is currently in the process redevelopment.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:11 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Yes there are other neighborhoods like Harlem but less dense. Roxbury, Boston is a good example. But there are other in DC Philly Chicago even Baltimore.

Old 12-14-2022, 06:00 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:

Georgia Avenue/ U Street Corridor or (Shaw) in Washington DC. For a while this was called "Black Broadway" before the Apollo.
https://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/10/t...surfacing.html

H Street in Washington DC...Have you heard the term Chocolate City before?

Sweet Auburn in Atlanta.

I'd imagine Oakland and Los Angeles have some comparable street at least.

Highland Park/ Woodward Ave in Detroit.

There are numerous. Harlem is the most dense and notable.

Last edited by the resident09; 12-14-2022 at 06:10 PM..

Old 12-14-2022, 07:14 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:

There is an older thread that kind of touches on/addresses this topic: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ghborhood.html

Old 12-14-2022, 08:29 PM

824 posts, read 711,917 times
I mean bronzeville in Chicago is also an extremely prominent and historically important black neigborhood as well that has a lot of black cultural capital. And as of the 2020 US census, its black population is actually growing.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:36 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is an older thread that kind of touches on/addresses this topic: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ghborhood.html
I think the emphasis from the OP may be on the urbanity behind these neighborhoods, and which ones either have historically Black presences, or still today many Black owned businesses etc.

Anacostia in DC also I should have mentioned.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:39 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I mean bronzeville in Chicago is also an extremely prominent and historically important black neigborhood as well that has a lot of black cultural capital. And as of the 2020 US census, its black population is actually growing.

Bronzeville could have been Chicago's Harlem, and once was for that matter. But it got annihilated by massive public housing developments. Those developments are long gone and some revitalization has taken place, but the neighborhood is still a shell of its former self.

Old 12-15-2022, 04:51 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I think the emphasis from the OP may be on the urbanity behind these neighborhoods, and which ones either have historically Black presences, or still today many Black owned businesses etc.

Anacostia in DC also I should have mentioned.
Yes, I understood what the OP was referring to. That thread offers such neighborhoods, those well known and those so much. Of course some suburban areas were thrown in there, but many urban neighborhoods are mentioned as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.