Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 12:56 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,441,667 times

Advertisements

There are people on CD and people in general that say they want lower cost of living in homes, cities or neighborhoods. But, IMO I think most people don't want lower cost of living. A lot of people when someone say lower cost of living; a lot of us automatically think and/or assume they're all "ghetto", sketchy, crime-ridden, no home value, the people who live in these areas are low class with no ambitions, etc. Some judge by race, some judge it by class. Like I said before this is just my opinion so correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 02:00 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
You’re wrong. The cost of living in SE CT was fantastic and the area is far from ghetto. There’s a definite venn diagram for those two things, but they don’t always go hand in hand.

Old 12-17-2022, 03:17 PM

406 posts, read 341,284 times
I would love to have a lower cost of living and be in an area that is educated and is not crime ridden.

Old 12-17-2022, 03:54 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,441,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
I would love to have a lower cost of living and be in an area that is educated and is not crime ridden.
Not every low cost area is crime ridden just like every educated area isn't high cost.

Old 12-17-2022, 04:49 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
I think there's a general phenomenon where people underestimate the value of spending money for nice, QOL-improving things. E.g. paying for someone come over to clean your house once a month tends to reduce stress.

I've heard a lot of anecdotes of people moving to Idaho or Indiana for the low COL and regretting it because there's nothing to do there. Tiny houses have a super high turnover rate because people realize having square footage matters to them more than they thought.

The most expensive cities in the country are stagnant in population growth, but they're not rapidly shrinking (except for a blip during COVID). For some people, the price tag is still worth it for the lifestyle these places get you. For every 36-year-old who wants to move out of San Francisco or Boston to start a family, there's a hoop-earringed hipster eager to take their place.

Old 12-17-2022, 05:01 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
You’re wrong. The cost of living in SE CT was fantastic and the area is far from ghetto. There’s a definite venn diagram for those two things, but they don’t always go hand in hand.
Interesting. Southeast like Stamford?

Old 12-17-2022, 05:20 PM

1,069 posts, read 785,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I've heard a lot of anecdotes of people moving to Idaho or Indiana for the low COL and regretting it because there's nothing to do there.
LOL, yeah, nothing to do here in Idaho but ski, hike, camp, backpack, fly fish, mountain bike, wine tasting, craft beer, fine dining, street fairs, festivals, concerts, and countless things to see and do in the Boise area. I'm sure my wife and daughter are bored to death as they're at Ballet Idaho's production of The Nutcracker. Yep, nothing do to here in Idaho

Old 12-17-2022, 05:30 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
I want the lowest cost of living that allows for a particular lifestyle, not the absolute lowest cost of living. I don't want to just eat plain rice in my mud hut every night.

Old 12-17-2022, 05:34 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
LOL, yeah, nothing to do here in Idaho but ski, hike, camp, backpack, fly fish, mountain bike, wine tasting, craft beer, fine dining, street fairs, festivals, concerts, and countless things to see and do in the Boise area. I'm sure my wife and daughter are bored to death as they're at Ballet Idaho's production of The Nutcracker. Yep, nothing do to here in Idaho
Appropriate username.

Old 12-17-2022, 05:35 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Yeah Connecticut is a great example.

High caliber. Lower costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.