Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 03:51 PM

5,017 posts, read 6,022,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say this is more of a thing for the nation's large historic cities. So I'd also guess places like Boston, San Francisco, Cincinnati, and New Orleans fit in that category but not Charleston, Santa Fe, or Albany.
Agreed, but maybe less true if the city grew quickly during the car age like Atlanta or Detroit. SF might be the anomaly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 03:53 PM

5,530 posts, read 8,813,659 times
Surprised that not one has bought up the big differences between Detroit and the Detroit suburbs. Although the city itself has recovered somewhat from its 2013 bankruptcy and the horrible decades before that, and while all Detroit suburbs are certainly not alike, there still seems to be a yawning gap between the city and its 'burbs. They generally are demographically, economically, and culturally very different.

Sure you have some downmarket 'burbs like Inkster, and some nicer parts of the city like Indian Village or the University District, but on the whole, the ambience between Detroit and its suburbs is pretty different. And the population of the city of Detroit is a very small part of the larger Detroit metro, which adds to the imbalance.

And yes, I do agree that Baltimore City and Baltimore County are also two very different animals for the most part. As with Detroit there are neat areas of the city and downmarket suburbs. But people there make it very clear that they live in the city, the county, or further out in the Baltimore metro.

Last edited by citylove101; 12-26-2022 at 04:29 PM..

Old 12-26-2022, 03:56 PM

5,017 posts, read 6,022,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
It seems like if a person from Northern New Jersey says they “live in New York,” there’s often a quick rebuttal that they live in New Jersey. Same for Chicago where saying you live in Chicago means the city proper, and Chicagoland is the only acceptable term for someone from the suburbs.
NYC may be an atypical example. People from northern NJ don't say that they're from NYC but neither do people from Brooklyn or Queens.

LA is hard to pin down because the county is also "Los Angeles". Still most people from various areas don't say that they're from "LA". People usually say the name of their city or neighborhood. Or maybe the greater area, such as the "South Bay".

Old 12-26-2022, 06:14 PM

37,925 posts, read 42,177,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Surprised that not one has bought up the big differences between Detroit and the Detroit suburbs. Although the city itself has recovered somewhat from its 2013 bankruptcy and the horrible decades before that, and while all Detroit suburbs are certainly not alike, there still seems to be a yawning gap between the city and its 'burbs. They generally are demographically, economically, and culturally very different.

Sure you have some downmarket 'burbs like Inkster, and some nicer parts of the city like Indian Village or the University District, but on the whole, the ambience between Detroit and its suburbs is pretty different. And the population of the city of Detroit is a very small part of the larger Detroit metro, which adds to the imbalance.
Yeah the cities that experienced pronounced mid-century White flight also fit in this category although for several, demographic changes have been afoot in their previously homogenous suburban areas for some years now. That has slowly changed some aspects of their local social/political culture and broken down a bit of the existing urban/suburban divide. Birmingham is another good example where all of this has happened and is happening.

Old 12-26-2022, 06:15 PM

37,925 posts, read 42,177,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Frankfort is like all the riff raff of the county concentrated and much blacker than the adjacent county. A better neighborhood for county similarities would probably be Cedonia or Cedmont.

Gwynn Oak is more similar socioeconomically to Woodlawn or Randallstown. Until you get right next to Mondawmin. Northwest Baltimore and far western Baltimore blend pretty well into their adjacent county counterparts *socially*, whereas Northeast Baltinore and far eastern Baltimore blend in better physically.
Gotcha.

Old 12-28-2022, 04:40 AM

329 posts, read 210,785 times
Northern cities like Chicago/Boston/NY come to mind. I grew up in the NW burbs and will tell strangers I'm from "Chicago". If they're familiar with the area I'll sometimes get the "you're not from Chicago" comment but it's just more relatable than saying "I'm from Arlington Heights, Illinois" or insert other suburb lol.

In Texas things are a little different with annexation and what not, but I've noticed a lot of people will claim their suburb before the city. For example people in San Antonio talking to someone from Houston or Austin "I'm from Stone Oak/Alamo Heights/Boerne/Shavano Park"

I've heard the same for The Woodlands/Katy/Sugar Land, etc.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:50 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,687,179 times
Default Boredatwork

DC. DC natives hate the term DMV and quick to point out its only about the city. Maryland and Virginia suburbs are foreign lands to them.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:06 AM

14,106 posts, read 15,141,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
DC. DC natives hate the term DMV and quick to point out its only about the city. Maryland and Virginia suburbs are foreign lands to them.
DMV literally means DC, Maryland Virginia.

Also I find it interesting other cities people mention have regional amenities named regionally.

Like while Washington- Intl Is in VA, it’s Named Washington, while Newark is not New York. The Washington Commanders play in MD. The Washington Metro served the region . Compared the MBTA or Patriots which aren’t named Boston because they’re not in Boston/contained to Boston.

In addition there are a lot of towns like District Heights that derive their name from being next to DC and that doesn’t exist in like Boston or Philly.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:13 AM

21,806 posts, read 12,992,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
DMV literally means DC, Maryland Virginia.

Also I find it interesting other cities people mention have regional amenities named regionally.

Like while Washington- Intl Is in VA, it’s Named Washington, while Newark is not New York. The Washington Commanders play in MD. The Washington Metro served the region . Compared the MBTA or Patriots which aren’t named Boston because they’re not in Boston/contained to Boston.

In addition there are a lot of towns like District Heights that derive their name from being next to DC and that doesn’t exist in like Boston or Philly.
One of my favorite things about Mary Walsh was how he always said:

“In the City of Boston” “from the City of Boston” it could be about the most mundane things too lol.

He would NEVER just say ‘Boston’, always made it a point to say the “City of Boston”

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-28-2022 at 09:12 AM..

Old 12-28-2022, 08:19 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,881,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I kind of feel like cities with less cultural difference across borders are more defensive. Cause like Everett, Revere, Somerville, Lynn, Malden etc are pretty much Not Boston only politically, but extremely similar in almost every way. (Even Brookline is quite a lot like neighboring Boston neighborhoods), however Bostonians are very defensive. Although most of Boston’s suburban cities are more functional even if they have similar densities and poverty rates and urban layout so they are in no means identical.

New York is kind of similar, NNJ and Yonkers are strongly like NYC. LI is not though. But they are similarly territorial.

But then like Atlanta and it’s suburbs are almost nothing alike but I feel like people are much more permissive of like Cobb County being “Atlanta”

I think Miami is similar, All of Miami-Dade County claims Miami, but the suburbs are way different than the city.

Chicago contains nearly the entire urban core as well so the suburbs are totally distinct from the city culturally.
Thats an interesting breakdown and accurate with my experience as well. It seems only other transplants are concerned with 'ITP' or city limits in Atlanta. Theconversations like,

"where are you from"
"Boston"
"where in Boston?"
that's usually a loaded question, daring the person to say anything other than a neighborhood within city limits

"where are you from
"Atlanta"
"where in Atlanta"
You're alllowed to say virtually anyplace in north Georgia and get a pass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.