Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 05:04 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,822,843 times

Advertisements

It seems like if a person from Northern New Jersey says they “live in New York,” there’s often a quick rebuttal that they live in New Jersey. Same for Chicago where saying you live in Chicago means the city proper, and Chicagoland is the only acceptable term for someone from the suburbs.

Meanwhile, a place like LA doesn’t seem so militant about who can call themselves an “Angeleno” and someone from Fort Bend County can easily claim to be a Houstonite without being attacked for not following the municipal boundary.

Is this simply a Chicago/New York/Philadelphia phenomenon, or are there other metros where someone in the suburbs using the demonym for the center city would be met with hostility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 05:20 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
I kind of feel like cities with less cultural difference across borders are more defensive. Cause like Everett, Revere, Somerville, Lynn, Malden etc are pretty much Not Boston only politically, but extremely similar in almost every way. (Even Brookline is quite a lot like neighboring Boston neighborhoods), however Bostonians are very defensive. Although most of Boston’s suburban cities are more functional even if they have similar densities and poverty rates and urban layout so they are in no means identical.

New York is kind of similar, NNJ and Yonkers are strongly like NYC. LI is not though. But they are similarly territorial.

But then like Atlanta and it’s suburbs are almost nothing alike but I feel like people are much more permissive of like Cobb County being “Atlanta”

I think Miami is similar, All of Miami-Dade County claims Miami, but the suburbs are way different than the city.

Chicago contains nearly the entire urban core as well so the suburbs are totally distinct from the city culturally.

Last edited by btownboss4; 12-25-2022 at 05:33 PM..

Old 12-25-2022, 05:31 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

I think Miami is similar, All of Miami-Dade County claims Miami, but the suburbs are way different than the city.

Eh.... Are they? There is the obvious clash between Brickell/Downtown and the suburbs, but aside from that, Most of Miami looks something more like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7426...7i16384!8i8192

The Miami-Dade suburbs look similar:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9446...7i16384!8i8192

And this extends into Broward County too:
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.0206...7i16384!8i8192

Old 12-25-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Eh.... Are they? There is the obvious clash between Brickell/Downtown and the suburbs, but aside from that, Most of Miami looks something more like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7426...7i16384!8i8192

The Miami-Dade suburbs look similar:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9446...7i16384!8i8192

And this extends into Broward County too:
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.0206...7i16384!8i8192
Miami has a population density of 12,450 ppsm, Miami Gardens or Coral Gables have a density of 4,000 or so. While the barrier island are similarly dense as Miami, they are pretty fundamentally different culturally.

Old 12-25-2022, 06:15 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Miami has a population density of 12,450 ppsm, Miami Gardens or Coral Gables have a density of 4,000 or so. While the barrier island are similarly dense as Miami, they are pretty fundamentally different culturally.
I mean, sure... But a good 1/4 of Coral Gables is an uninhabitable nature preserve.
There is no distinction at all when crossing from Miami into Coral Gables at any point.

Hialeah has similar density numbers as Miami. Aventura is higher.

As for being culturally different, Tamiami, Kendall, etc., fit right in with the City of Miami... Among others.

The overall feel changes little to none outside of the coastal areas and Little Havana. (Not counting the rural stuff at the southern edge.)

To me, anyway.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 12-25-2022 at 06:31 PM..

Old 12-25-2022, 06:15 PM

1,052 posts, read 574,172 times
Quote:

New York is kind of similar, NNJ and Yonkers are strongly like NYC. LI is not though. But they are similarly territorial.

I respectfully disagree.

NJ (even the ones from Bergen County) and Long Island are kind of two peas in a pod. This is of course from the generalization , there are always exceptions. However for long time New Yorkers you can still tell the NJ/LI crowd walking on the street in Manhattan. I never failed to identify them from the line-up.

I have friends who were born and raised in Bergen County, private school girls, have been going to “the city” since teenage years as the “club kids” every weekend. Moved to “the city” after college (local NJ private liberal art college.) to work in Manhattan, even lived in East Village and Upper East Side.-but according to her she could never shake her Jersey accent, people always asked her if she was from Jersey, and all her friends have that “Jerseyness” in their looks/demeanors/how they carry themselves.

NJ and Long Island are a tad interchangeable, although there are nuances that are very subtle. You have to spend enough time with each one of them to tell.

Ask any NJ person, they will proudly tell you they are very different from people in NYC, and I agree. They may be all falling into a gigantic metropolitan area, but the differences between NJ, NYC and CT (the so-called Tri-state area.) are there, and the locals can tell.

Old 12-25-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I respectfully disagree.

NJ (even the ones from Bergen County) and Long Island are kind of two peas in a pod. This is of course from the generalization , there are always exceptions. However for long time New Yorkers you can still tell the NJ/LI crowd walking on the street in Manhattan. I never failed to identify them from the line-up.

I have friends who were born and raised in Bergen County, private school girls, have been going to “the city” since teenage years as the “club kids” every weekend. Moved to “the city” after college (local NJ private liberal art college.) to work in Manhattan, even lived in East Village and Upper East Side.-but according to her she could never shake her Jersey accent, people always asked her if she was from Jersey, and all her friends have that “Jerseyness” in their looks/demeanors/how they carry themselves.

NJ and Long Island are a tad interchangeable, although there are nuances that are very subtle. You have to spend enough time with each one of them to tell.

Ask any NJ person, they will proudly tell you they are very different from people in NYC, and I agree. They may be all falling into a gigantic metropolitan area, but the differences between NJ, NYC and CT (the so-called Tri-state area.) are there, and the locals can tell.
I was thinking more Hudson County/Newark. Bergen County is more suburban like Long Island.

Also I call BS on being able to tell if someone was from the city, NJ or Long Island by looking at them. Sounds like the crap people peddled in (London)Derry about how they could tell if you were Catholic or Protestant by just looking at them.

Just from a logical standpoint JC and Midtown are more similar to each other than like the Rockaways and Harlem.

Last edited by btownboss4; 12-25-2022 at 06:29 PM..

Old 12-25-2022, 06:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,009,673 times
San Francisco. If you live in San Mateo or Marin you do not live in SF --- let alone if you're in San Jose or Oakland.

Old 12-25-2022, 06:35 PM

1,052 posts, read 574,172 times
Quote:
I was thinking more Hudson County/Newark. Bergen County is more suburban like Long Island.

Also I call BS on being able to tell if someone was from the city, NJ or Long Island by looking at them. Sounds like the crap people peddled in (London)Derry about how they could tell if you were Catholic or Protestant by just looking at them.
Yes I can.

Just like I could walk near NYU campus and tell you if the group of kids were from Japan or Korean, that group of kids were from the U.K or France. Or I could tell if someone is American or Swedish or German in Europe. It’s not that hard.

Religions don’t have a look, regional accent/look/collective mannerism/preferred fashion are easy to spot.

Ps. Today on the airplane I spotted singer Taylor Dayne on the ‘80s channel from the plane TV, I asked my husband “is Taylor Dayne from Long Island”? (I never followed her career and her music was random.) My husband said “yes, how do you know?” Me: “I can tell.”

It’s not hard at all.

Old 12-25-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
Yes I can.

Just like I could walk near NYU campus and tell you if the group of kids were from Japan or Korean, that group of kids were from the U.K or France. Or I could tell if someone is American or Swedish or German in Europe. It’s not that hard.

Religions don’t have a look, regional accent/look/collective mannerism/preferred fashion are easy to spot.

Ps. Today on the airplane I spotted singer Taylor Dayne on the ‘80s channel from the plane TV, I asked my husband “is Taylor Dayne from Long Island”? (I never followed her career and her music was random.) My husband said “yes, how do you know?” Me: “I can tell.”

It’s not hard at all.
You’re telling me an Orthodox Jew from Brooklyn has a Brooklyn look like their Hispanic brethren in Brooklyn rather than like their Orthodox Jews across the river in NJ?

The reason I know you’re full of crap, is the majority of Every borough (except Staten Island) aren’t Native New Yorkers. (From the state, probably less than a third from the city)

I do think the “white flight” suburbs (LI, Mass’s South Shore, Cobb County) are pretty distinct because it self sorted a certain kind of person. But even that is fading as international migration has become the primary driver of demographic change in every major metro.

Yonkers and Jersey City are not white flight suburbs

Last edited by btownboss4; 12-25-2022 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.