Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 09:08 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,829,582 times

Advertisements

Does a city like this exist in the U.S.? I'm not talking about mass transit to urban parks, but large nature preserves, mountains, state parks, national parks, 100 mile+ trails, etc. where you can get lost for a week.

The closest to what I'm looking for is something like the frequent commuter trains in New York that drop you off next to tons of trails and state parks in the Hudson Valley.

In DC we technically have the MARC trains to Harpers Ferry, where you can then connect to the Appalachian Trail - but frequencies are atrocious, they don't operate on weekends (which is when there would be the most demand), and a daytrip is impossible since they're not bi-directional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 09:32 PM

14,037 posts, read 15,061,559 times
The Middlesex Fells get are accessible via the Orange Line which is 2,300 acres.

The 7000 acre Blue Hills reservation south of Boston is accessible via many MBTA bus routes that’s probably the closest on the MBTA system. Other than linking a couple bike trails that go up to a place that is remote (like there is one that goes basically all the way up route two) but if it includes a 100 mile bike ride to say the Berkshires seems like cheating)

I think Griffith Park at 4200 acres is big enough to qualify.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:35 PM

6,390 posts, read 5,030,734 times
You can get from downtown Seattle to Port Angeles, WA, at the edge of Olympic National Park, on a ferry + a bus.

Looks like there's no transit to the Cascades, though. Lame. The farthest east you can go is the town of Snoqualmie (not Snoqualmie Pass) which is still a ways away from the real mountain/forest trails.

Yeah, I remember living in NoVa in 2018 and thinking about visiting Harpers Ferry (didn't have a car at the time). I worked during the week and was pretty miffed that MARC doesn't run on weekends. I never got to visit WV (and not that part of it) until years later.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:45 PM

783 posts, read 697,278 times
Cars seem to dominate this even in theory. I can't think of anywhere in the world that mass transit serves the great outdoors well. But I don't know everything, maybe someone will surprise me with a pick.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:51 PM

12,191 posts, read 8,062,626 times
Id say on the Easy Coast, the MBTA system moreso than the others.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:58 PM

484 posts, read 355,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Cars seem to dominate this even in theory. I can't think of anywhere in the world that mass transit serves the great outdoors well. But I don't know everything, maybe someone will surprise me with a pick.
The world is a big place and not in the scope of this sub-forum I can give you one example off the top of my head. In Oslo, Norway you can take the subway line 1 up to Holmenkollen or line 5 to Sognsvann. From either of those you are at the edge of Nordmarka which is a large wilderness park which is adjacent to other similar forest parks so in theory you could take the subway from Oslo city center and then hike or bike for hundreds of miles

In the US you have Forest Park in Portland which is adjacent to Washington Park which has a Max stop under the zoo. Forest Park itself is massive but there are also trails going all the way to the coast from there. You could also take a bus out to Troutdale, cross the Sandy River and get onto a lot of hiking trails up into the gorge from there.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:13 PM

783 posts, read 697,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
The world is a big place and not in the scope of this sub-forum I can give you one example off the top of my head. In Oslo, Norway you can take the subway line 1 up to Holmenkollen or line 5 to Sognsvann. From either of those you are at the edge of Nordmarka which is a large wilderness park which is adjacent to other similar forest parks so in theory you could take the subway from Oslo city center and then hike or bike for hundreds of miles

In the US you have Forest Park in Portland which is adjacent to Washington Park which has a Max stop under the zoo. Forest Park itself is massive but there are also trails going all the way to the coast from there. You could also take a bus out to Troutdale, cross the Sandy River and get onto a lot of hiking trails up into the gorge from there.
That's nice but, you can get that from other cities. Besides, any serious person who is an outdoorsman uses a car to do that kind of stuff. Of course you can just muscle whatever you want if you want to. "In theory" is doing a ton of work.

Old 01-02-2023, 12:00 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,829,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post

Ah, Portland is a great pick. I remember taking the bus there to Multnomah Falls and there were trails everywhere including Oneonta Falls and the Columbia River Gorge. They even had a bus that took you from Hood River to Mount Hood.

So Columbia Gorge Express + Gorge to Mountain Express and then you're in the thick of Mount Hood National Forest.

Old 01-02-2023, 05:44 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,429,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Middlesex Fells get are accessible via the Orange Line which is 2,300 acres.

The 7000 acre Blue Hills reservation south of Boston is accessible via many MBTA bus routes that’s probably the closest on the MBTA system.
None are places that you can get lost for a week. In both Blue Hills and Middlesex Fells, you can distinctively hear the drone of the nearby interstate highway. Not exactly what I would consider the feeling of "vast nature."

Old 01-02-2023, 07:18 AM

7,273 posts, read 10,617,411 times
Yeah, I don't think this is really a thing in any US city, at least not intentionally or conveniently.

Public transit systems are overwhelmingly designed in the US to prioritize mobility within each metro region to connect hubs of population and commerce. That's pretty much the opposite of making useful connections to unspoiled nature.

Last edited by Duderino; 01-02-2023 at 07:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.