Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 03:01 PM

5,528 posts, read 8,805,715 times

Advertisements

Everyplace I've been I hear folks complain about how terrible the drivers are: NY, Boston, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, LA, Detroit, San Francisco and on and on. Plenty of stories about speeding, road rage, drunk/high guys behind the wheel, nobody uses turn signals, tailgating, and lots of other examples of bad driving.

So is this just inevitable in the big cities I'm used to visiting and/or driving in? Or are there some sizable cities out there where most people don't complain a lot about bad drivers because they're relatively rare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 03:04 PM

14,970 posts, read 9,880,818 times
When you find one... let us know. Been driving since I'm 14. If you're in a hurry you drive like it, chaotic- fast-with the checkered flag in mind.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:15 PM

484 posts, read 357,792 times
drivers in Portland, Oregon are courteous and orderly and are almost too passive. In Seattle cars will stop if you even look like you might approach a cross-walk while down the road in Tacoma people drive like they're in LA, Phoenix or Dallas. Lots of swerving and hard braking.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:46 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,431,718 times
In general, the idea that some places have better drivers than others doesn't pass the smell check. However, a few thoughts on this:
1. I've heard the idea that different regions have different driving styles, and a problem that transplant-heavy cities have is that there is no a consistent style; everyone is driving differently and it is unpredictable.
2. My wife believes that people who start driving early in life are much better than people who pick it up later. I think people in the country tend to start earlier than people in suburban cities, and people in urban cities start even later (or not at all).
3. Here in Texas, it's hard not to notice that immigrant communities can be very bad. It's probably a bit of both #1 or #2 (they learned late and/or in a driving style *very* different than here).

Given that, give me a more well-off rural area with relatively low immigration as the best drivers. Maybe somewhere in New England or something? Just guessing.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:54 PM

9,369 posts, read 14,197,589 times
Unfortunately in states where current drivers are perceived as being good TODAY, the incoming new drivers will feel safe when they themselves are wild and crazy. That’s because good drivers are predictable as to their specific actions. That allows uneducated and arbitrary drivers to be wild with few consequences. Speeding, weaving, no turn signals, incomplete stops.

As more and more new drivers behave that way, TOMORROW that state will get a bad rap.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:35 PM

16,514 posts, read 26,408,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
drivers in Portland, Oregon are courteous and orderly and are almost too passive. In Seattle cars will stop if you even look like you might approach a cross-walk while down the road in Tacoma people drive like they're in LA, Phoenix or Dallas. Lots of swerving and hard braking.
People in Seattle definitely do that, same in parts of Denver and Boulder. In New Orleans, you'll die trying to cross a crosswalk.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:51 PM

62,016 posts, read 87,699,646 times
To answer your question on the thread title - NONE, till the driving schools change their way of teaching driving and final exams. And driving laws start to be enforced.
Right now one can be completely clueless, unfit even - just get a good lawyer.

Old 01-06-2023, 06:48 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,510,831 times
Idk about CITIES but IMO Kansas as a state has good drivers so maybe Wichita and KC.

Old 01-06-2023, 07:40 PM

457 posts, read 907,377 times
From my experience - Denver and Minneapolis seem to have good, relatively courteous drivers. Relative to Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, New York, LA, etc...

Old 01-06-2023, 07:42 PM

146 posts, read 153,998 times
I've yet to see an Ohio plate that wasn't a good driver so probably give Ohio a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.