Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like the best?
Boston, MA 7 8.97%
Indianapolis, IN 1 1.28%
Chicago, IL 20 25.64%
Cincinnati, OH 2 2.56%
Charleston, SC 3 3.85%
Greensboro, NC 0 0%
Washington DC 0 0%
Columbus, OH 1 1.28%
Davis/Sacramento, CA 1 1.28%
Seattle, WA 6 7.69%
San Francisco, CA 14 17.95%
Denver, CO 5 6.41%
Ann Arbor, MI 0 0%
Chapel Hill, NC 1 1.28%
Pittsburgh, PA 6 7.69%
San Diego, CA 9 11.54%
Winston Salem, NC 1 1.28%
Lexington, KY 0 0%
Tampa, FL 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:15 PM

71 posts, read 424,442 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I'm currently researching where my fiance and I are going to move after next year and I need some opinions. I'm wondering, of the cities on the list, which are your favorites and why? I am trying to compare all aspects of the cities from weather to cost of living to nightlife to traffic, so the more opinions the better. A little background on us...I'm looking to do a residency and these are the cities that offer the specialty I am interested in. We are both born and raised in the Midwest currently living in Columbus, Ohio. We are young (mid-20s) and free to go wherever we want at this point, although our families and friends are located mainly in Indianapolis, IN, Louisville, KY, and Nashville, TN. I think the problem we are having choosing a city comes down to whether we want to go somewhere fun for awhile (and not worry about the cost of living) or whether we want to stay near friends and family. What is your opinion on this? Do you suggest going somewhere fun while you are young, or do you value time with friends and family more? If we do move across the country, we'd like a bigger city with lots to do (pro sports like baseball and football, nightlife, outdoor activities like skiing and hiking). I know this is very broad but, any opinions will help, both good and bad!

Oh, one other thing...he is looking to go back to get his MBA eventually so a decent MBA program in the city is desirable although not mandatory at this point. He is in finance and probably won't have trouble finding a job in a larger city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 03:25 PM

32 posts, read 74,829 times
I would say Chicago, not too far from home, but lots of things for you to do.

Maybe a bit too close to Michigan for someone from Ohio but...

Old 05-28-2008, 03:31 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Your mid-20's is probably the best time to move around and have fun before you settle down and think about raising a family. So now would probably be the best time to do it in my opinion, your family and friends will still most likely be there when you decide it's time to settle down near them.

Being from the Bay Area and currently in San Diego I am partial to those two places; they both meet your criteria as well. Sacramento is also a good choice and is cheaper than the coastal cities. It's flat but you are near some great skiing and mountains. SD has the best weather for being outside year round but the skiing isn't the best but we have it at least about 2.5 hours away. Skiing is better in Northern CA, but beaches are better in Southern Ca.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:37 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
Boston cuz it rules

Old 05-28-2008, 03:48 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
I picked Denver,the metro area is small compared to most major cities but Denver can hold its own.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
If you want to be close to family, Id recommend Chicago. Far away? Seattle. Id recommend San Fran and San Diego if they werent so dang rape-you-til-you-die expensive. Boston is also really cool, but then again very expensive.

Chicago has a lot to offer, obviously (minus the skiing thing-unless you like CC skiing). The nightlife is incredible, as are the arts, dining, sports, etc. The COL is decently high, but much cheaper than the coasts, and the weather is similar to what you experience in Columbus. Bottom line is, if youre looking for a city that offers everything in the world to do, Chicago would suit you really well.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,782 times
i picked san diego, cuz if you think about it, this thread is basically asking, "what city do you live closest to?"

Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 PM

268 posts, read 100,696 times
I would suggest a city that would be more difficult to settle in if you have kids,i.e. San Francisco because it may not be the city you can afford if you do have kids. This would be a time to pick a place that may not be feasible later in life. Be sure to vacation to San Diego or Seattle or thereabouts because you may decide to eventually move there. All the other cities, I believe, you can have at any other time in your life.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:02 PM

268 posts, read 100,696 times
You can move closer to family later on. Live it up while you're able!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:21 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
It's good to branch out a bit when you're young.

San Francisco or Seattle, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.