Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 03:28 PM

206 posts, read 627,862 times

Advertisements

So NYC is an actual city with five boroughs. Isn't a city usually located in a county with several towns? what county does NYC belongs to in the state of NY? or is the whole one city actually a county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 03:33 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
actually every borough is a county.

New York co.- Manhattan
Kings co. - Brooklyn
Queens co. - Queens
Richmond? i thiiiink- S.I.
Bronx? i thiiiink itself

I don't see why they aren't seperate cities.

Or why Staten Island isn't in Jersey.

But really, many cities take up entire counties. I beleive Philly and Philadelphia county are the same. San Francisco too. Suffolk county is baaaaasically just Boston. Cities and counties being the same isn't too crazy. A city being 5 counties kinda is but thats just ny for ya

Old 05-28-2008, 03:34 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
it's just random the way it happened, but yes, New York City comprises of 5 counties.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:35 PM

240 posts, read 1,265,335 times
I don't understand either. New York City is a city in New York but why is it more close to New Jersey than upstate New York if New York City is in New York? I do not understand, someone teach me. Also New York City has 5 boroughs. How come other cities like Newark and Philadelphia don't have boroughs like New York City does? Newark is the biggest city in New Jersey like how New York City is the biggest city in New York but Newark is PART OF A COUNTY. (ESSEX COUNTY) ... what county is New York City part of? This is what I don't understand as well.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:36 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
The city is actually 5 counties.

New York County (Manhattan)
Bronx County (The Bronx)
Queens County (Queens)
Kings County (Brooklyn)
Richmond County (Staten Island)

Initially New York City was a portion of the island of Manhattan, which was New York County. Brooklyn was a city in Kings County, and there were other hamlets in that county. The City of Brooklyn grew to include everything within Kings County. Queens County was a collection of different towns (Flushing, Astoria, Fresh Meadows, etc). All of these counties urbanized and became incorporated into parts of a growing New York City. The counties exist as little more than names today, with "boroughs" being the political subdivision within the larger city.

This history is why you see mailing addresses to "New York, NY" being applicable only to Manhattan, "Brooklyn, NY" for addresses in Brooklyn, and addresses in Queens identify the old towns "Flushing, NY" or "Maspeth, NY" or "Bayside, NY" for example.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:36 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
actually every borough is a county.

New York co.- Manhattan
Kings co. - Brooklyn
Queens co. - Queens
Richmond? i thiiiink- S.I.
Bronx? i thiiiink itself

I don't see why they aren't seperate cities.

Or why Staten Island isn't in Jersey.

But really, many cities take up entire counties. I beleive Philly and Philadelphia county are the same. San Francisco too. Suffolk county is baaaaasically just Boston

sheesh, we don't WANT Staten Island! LOL (and, btw, Richmond is correct)

I actually feel for SI residents - they pay the NYC taxes and get none of the benefits. Except for the ferry (and bus), you need to pay $6 to leave.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:39 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
who remembers the beginning of "Welcome Back Kotter"? They showed a sign that says "Welcome to Kings Co - 4th largest city in the US". That never made sense to me, since Brooklyn is part of NYC.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Weren't these boroughs independent cities at one point? And then they all merged to form NYC and each became it's own county. I thought that was the history behind it but can't quite remember.

NYC is a lot bigger than other east coast cities, so that could be a reason other cities are not broken up into smaller pieces; there isn't as much of a need.

NYC is made up of five counties and yes that is not normal, but it is what it is.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:46 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
I've always wondered about this too,Ive just forget to ask this question.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:05 PM

206 posts, read 627,862 times
In most part of the country counties make up a state.....NYC is too big for a city but too small to be divided into counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.