Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 01:04 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
This forum seems full of that. I avoid forceful opinions on places I'm not personally familiar with, because I've been surprised visiting places for the first time so many times.
And people can always ask people who live elsewhere. It’s okay to say I don’t know or I am unsure.

Old 03-09-2023, 02:31 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Geography and sociology seems like a pretty relevant thing to be researching right now, given the tumultuous social climate we're currently in.
The media, both mainstream and social, have a vested interest in distorting reality for the sake of their bottom lines. That's not to say that the polarization we see in society today isn't real but there's definitely a disconnect between the day-to-day reality on the ground and the selective coverage we see in the media.

Old 03-09-2023, 02:34 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
I learned through personal experience of living in different geographies, as well as, a lot of travel.

Sometimes it seems people have very strong (sometimes limited or incorrect) opinions about geography and places without actually having spent much if any time there.
Nobody knows this more than us Southerners.

I'd say in general, people tend to have the strongest and loudest opinions about the things they know the least about (i.e., the Dunning-Kruger effect).

Old 03-09-2023, 03:09 PM

253 posts, read 199,053 times
Whatever the maps say.
Beyond that it can be broken down to Great lakes, Great plains, etc

Old 03-10-2023, 04:52 PM

162 posts, read 125,693 times
When I think of the true Midwest I think of the Great Lakes states which are Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio and Indiana. I know Pennsylvania borders a Great lake and so does New York but there too far east. The Great Plains states go in their own category to me. Although my great grand father was from Omaha Nebraska and he migrated to Chicago for work in the early 1900's , so maybe the mindset is that Chicago is the central hub of the Midwest and Omaha was a satellite. So probably the Great Plains are the Midwest after all.

Last edited by sidneyinmyeyes34; 03-10-2023 at 05:06 PM..

Old 03-11-2023, 04:45 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
I used to believe that the American Midwest corresponded to those states that had colleges/universities that participated in the Big Ten Athletic Conference - Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa.

Then I read that the word 'Midwest' was originally used to define the area roughly around Kansas and Nebraska. Think about it - L. Frank Baum's character Dorothy Gale of Kansas is (was?) definitely a Midwesterner.

The area known conceptually as the Midwest eventually expanded northward and eastward, starting from Kansas, the Midwest stretches north to the American Canadian border, east to Ohio, and encompasses all the US states therein.

Old 03-11-2023, 07:23 AM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I used to believe that the American Midwest corresponded to those states that had colleges/universities that participated in the Big Ten Athletic Conference - Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa.

Then I read that the word 'Midwest' was originally used to define the area roughly around Kansas and Nebraska. Think about it - L. Frank Baum's character Dorothy Gale of Kansas is (was?) definitely a Midwesterner.

The area known conceptually as the Midwest eventually expanded northward and eastward, starting from Kansas, the Midwest stretches north to the American Canadian border, east to Ohio, and encompasses all the US states therein.
The midwest originally referred to the old northwestern states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota. Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas were considered Midwestern later on. Minnesota was actually still referred to as northwestern until the 60s.

Old 03-11-2023, 10:46 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
The midwest originally referred to the old northwestern states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota. Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas were considered Midwestern later on. Minnesota was actually still referred to as northwestern until the 60s.
I posted in a different thread that WCCO had a commercial on that promoted themselves as the "Northwest's News Leader" in 1981.

Old 03-11-2023, 11:18 AM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I posted in a different thread that WCCO had a commercial on that promoted themselves as the "Northwest's News Leader" in 1981.
Yes, I remember.

Old 03-11-2023, 11:27 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
There was also Northwest Airlines, which was founded in Detroit and moved its headquarters to Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.