Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 11:25 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times

Advertisements

Point Defiance Park in Tacoma WA has an awesome zoo/aquarium combo. The area around the zoo is relatively safe. Great access to nature, minimal snow fall, good food and markets, somewhat pricey though, but not as expensive as Seattle. One of my favorite places in the Seattle metro area.

https://www.pdza.org/

The park outside the zoo is very nice too and similar to Stanley Park in Vancouver BC. Have also seen a few orca pods swimming through Puget Sound from that park.

https://www.metroparkstacoma.org/pla...defiance-park/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2023, 10:29 PM

167 posts, read 590,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
wow, lovely bears!
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Point Defiance Park in Tacoma WA has an awesome zoo/aquarium combo. The area around the zoo is relatively safe. Great access to nature, minimal snow fall, good food and markets, somewhat pricey though, but not as expensive as Seattle. One of my favorite places in the Seattle metro area.

https://www.pdza.org/

The park outside the zoo is very nice too and similar to Stanley Park in Vancouver BC. Have also seen a few orca pods swimming through Puget Sound from that park.

https://www.metroparkstacoma.org/pla...defiance-park/
I lived in Tacoma decades ago and really loved the area. Unfortunately, the housing prices have now exceeded my budget. I really do miss the Pacific Northwest.

Old 02-26-2023, 10:46 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven View Post
My husband and I will be retiring soon and can now focus on places where we don’t need to worry about jobs or schools. In the past here on CD, we’ve made other posts looking for a place to live, but that was when it depended on job availability.

Here’s our must haves:
Low housing prices (under $300k)
Zoo in town (not in a nearby town)
Low snowfall (less than 3” per month)
Medical facilities
Average to below average crime

Nice to have but not a deal breaker:
Farmers markets
Art scene
Golf
Shooting range
Decent selection of restaurants
Access to nature

We get along with everyone regardless of race, lifestyle choices, political and religious leanings, etc. and we know when to keep our mouths shut. We currently live where it gets very hot (110+F) so heat is no issue, though it would be nice to find someplace a bit cooler. Family is scattered across the country, so no particular region is out of the realm of possibility.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions!
Pittsburgh offers everything on the list and in close proximity to one another.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:12 AM

167 posts, read 590,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Pittsburgh offers everything on the list and in close proximity to one another.
Except the less than 3"/month of snowfall.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:27 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,104,544 times
If you want the Pacific Northwest again, then look somewhere in or near Winston, OR. Adjacent to Winston is the Oregon Wildlife Safari.

https://wildlifesafari.net/

There is housing >$300K in the area.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...22%3A%7B%7D%7D

Old 02-27-2023, 04:20 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
Oh wow, that's a terrific portrait of the bears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
I'd second Newport News as a good location, but I don't remember there being a zoo in the area?
The Virginia Living Museum is an AZA-accredited zoo. The Virginia Zoo in Norfolk and the Virginia Aquarium in Va Beach are also AZA institutions in the Hampton Roads metro area.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 454 times
Default Asheboro?

Has the NC Zoo the world's largest.
4 inches of snow a year
a heat wave is in the 90s
houses are available for under 300 k although housing market is hot
Has a farmer's market
Has a pottery highway 20 minutes away
Has some good local restaurants plus more within 30 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.