Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 08:13 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 4 days ago)

8,374 posts, read 5,536,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah we cant use the ACS up here, we literally have to wait for the US Census' lol.

Or we can come up with our own estimates. I estimated NJ's population 9.38 million people. I didn't do any other state because I am not too familiar with them.
The ACS is overall extremely good. It has a stated margin of error of up to 5% and, other than NYC, it nailed it on every city/metro area nationwide.

I'd also add that the ACS did extremely well with foreign born groups, Hispanics, and Asians even in NYC. What they did get wrong in NYC was regarding White and African American residents.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 02-10-2023 at 08:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 10:30 AM

12,192 posts, read 8,062,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The ACS is overall extremely good. It has a stated margin of error of up to 5% and, other than NYC, it nailed it on every city/metro area nationwide.

I'd also add that the ACS did extremely well with foreign born groups, Hispanics, and Asians even in NYC. What they did get wrong in NYC was regarding White and African American residents.
No it didnt lol. It was very off, outside its margin of error on a lot of places. The biggest being New York State, New Jersey, Massachusetts, New York City, etc

The biggest issue is they also get trends wrong too. They say certain states start a steep decline when those states actually are growing (ie, CT, PA, NY, NJ, MA). Like its okay to be off... but getting whole trends wrong?

Old 02-10-2023, 10:35 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,679,315 times
Quote:
No it didnt lol. It was very off, outside its margin of error on a lot of places. The biggest being New York State, New Jersey, Massachusetts, New York City, etc

The biggest issue is they also get trends wrong too. They say certain states start a steep decline when those states actually are growing (ie, CT, PA, NY, NJ, MA). Like its okay to be off... but getting whole trends wrong?
Yeah. Unfortunately I'm not going to be excited again until the 2030 Census, and that is a long time to wait. I don't trust the ACS estimates after seeing how off they were for the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic areas in overstating the population decline.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yeah. Unfortunately I'm not going to be excited again until the 2030 Census, and that is a long time to wait. I don't trust the ACS estimates after seeing how off they were for the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic areas in overstating the population decline.
Yeah, not even post 2020 Census, but the whole 2011-2019 estimate years, as well as 2005-2009.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:36 PM

544 posts, read 562,608 times
Quote:
While very true, its not a new issue.

They were off on NYS population by over 1 million! And they assumed it was in spiral decline when it was the opposite. Same with NJ, 500k off. MA and PA were 300k off.
To be fair, the census bureau later said they overcounted New York.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:17 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 4 days ago)

8,374 posts, read 5,536,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
To be fair, the census bureau later said they overcounted New York.
This.

Plus I think its somewhat funny that some people think they can somehow estimate by themselves better than the ACS could. The ACS did a pretty good job. Ill post specifics later.

Old 02-10-2023, 02:53 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,964,311 times
Interesting how South Carolina is now outpacing Georgia in migration. Probably more of a retirement destination now.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
This.

Plus I think its somewhat funny that some people think they can somehow estimate by themselves better than the ACS could. The ACS did a pretty good job. Ill post specifics later.
Agree to disagree.

Census just cant do more urban areas.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:46 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Interesting how South Carolina is now outpacing Georgia in migration. Probably more of a retirement destination now.
Not at all. Charleston has become something of an economic powerhouse with companies like Boeing employing several thousand, and growing. The same in Greenville-Spartanburg (BMW and Michelin-Bridgestone for example) and recently for Columbia as well where many are discovering its assets coupled with below average living costs,

Old 02-10-2023, 09:33 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,776,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Also, the cost of living in Georgia is increasing while the quality of life is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.