Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 12:39 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Where I live currently in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, NYC, makes me super happy.

I wake up sometimes and marvel at the absolute fact that I live in New York City, and have access to all the amenities everyday that are so close by. The food, the retail, the culture experiences, the drink, the attractions, the nonstop activities and festivals. It's just an incredible place to live.

My 2nd place rank goes to Tucson, AZ. I absolutely was so so happy, and lived with the best roommates, and enjoyed the open sky, the sunny days, the desert environment and the cool bars and unique restaurants Tucson had to offer. I'd consider moving back to Tucson in retirement when I'm much older.
I relate to a lot of this post. Tucson has a magic to it, if you are in the right time in your life. That time is largely going to be on vacation or in retirement (or maybe college). Or, if somehow you are in the top 5% there. Underrated world class views from spots above town, a short drive to SNOW in the winter, all the Native American culture that still exists. It's a cool place, but a hard place to make a nice living, and it has its drawbacks (BTW, I lived there for 2 years in my 30s, and have family there).

I live in Chicago now, in the city. So I totally hear you on the NYC thing too. Sometimes we pinch ourselves at the accessibility to incredible events, how quickly we can get to a beach, the iconic skyline view as we take a short drive to a restaurant, passing Wrigley Field while running errands. Walking to a festival with no need to park a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 09:21 PM

31 posts, read 22,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Newfoundland. No Contest.
It looks beautiful I would love to visit someday

Old 02-14-2023, 09:24 PM

31 posts, read 22,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I second in my home. I live in Manhattan and love it. I especially love my morning coffee by the window with a view of the Empire State Building.

It sometimes feels like many people I meet in my travels are never satisfied with their current living situation. It's some version of "if only I lived there..." or envy of where someone they know lives.

Everyone has a unique life situation, but the grass is not always greener on the other side.
Very true. I know that I thought moving from my hometown would make me happier, and it did in a way, but in other ways I still don't feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be

Old 02-15-2023, 04:15 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsunflower View Post
It looks beautiful I would love to visit someday
It's beauty is social. Imagine an Irish sit-com about people waiting for the End of the World.

Old 02-15-2023, 04:50 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I've lived and loved a couple of lovely places. Very content when we first moved to San Francisco...mostly for the outdoor opportunities--skiing in Tahoe, hiking/camping in many places including Yosemite and in the Redwoods. Great hiking trails in the hills of the East Bay where our dog could run free.

Then as the population and traffic expanded like Sour Dough Bread, so grew my angst. I'm more of a Nature lover than a big city lover as it turned out. So many lanes of backed-up traffic trying to go to nature on the weekends...and the sirens, freeway noise, power tools, helicopters...

So, we left the "left" coast after 30 plus years, and settled on the "right" coast.

Our home is in a peaceful coastal town with easy biking along the waterfront and under the oaks. I'm older and the peacefulness of this place is very appealing.

It's been a voyage of discovery to find what's really important to you, isn't it? Each of us are different.

Nature, a caring community, quietude, and a feeling of peace (plus a good library) are what spoke to me.
Sounds like a nice place to live.

Old 02-15-2023, 09:10 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
Asheville is where I am most “at home” - happiest. I live here now. My mountain home is a beautiful safe and comforting place- even after the death of my beloved Husband of 50years. We retired here a little over nine years ago. Both born in NC. But lived most of our married life in a more hectic large city environment.

I have never regretted moving here. The real 4 seasons, (so mild in comparison to other places). gorgeous scenery and welcoming people- not to mention the outstanding foodie and brewery culture here.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:09 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
No place is perfect. But for me, it's been my current location of NW metro Atlanta.

Top 10% of schools for the kids
Safe
good 4 season weather
tree canopy - sometimes I'm driving or walking and can't believe it feels like I'm in a rainforest
4 hours to the ocean
1-2 hours to the mountains

We recently bought a mountain cabin 90 mins away......and here I was on a saturday with a 100ft waterfall hike all to myself, despite the fact that Atlanta is only 90 mins away, kind of blows my mind.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:33 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
If I was happy. it wasn't because me external surroundings, but how my life and career were going.

Mobile was a pretty nice place. So was Monterey, California.

Old 02-16-2023, 10:10 AM

82 posts, read 101,963 times
Bangkok/Thailand/Southeast Asia/East Asia--most interesting, diverse part of the world, most of the world lives, here, thousands of years of history, can live like a king for nothing, etc., etc. I left the USA in 2017 and never looked back. Haven't been back to the states even for a visit since 2019. My family is dead, I never married. no kids..no ties to the USA.I left the USA when I was 54 and completely started over and reinvented myself in Asia. No regrets...

Last edited by newarrior; 02-16-2023 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: poor grammar

Old 02-16-2023, 10:34 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,527,483 times
Decades ago I was stationed in Italy during the cold war years. It was both exciting and frustrating to live in a country where you don't speak the local language. But I worked with other Americans and hung out with them. But every once in a while, I'd go out exploring the local areas. I ate some weird food items and had unique experiences that I could not have done states side.

And I knew it wasn't permanent. Returning to America was always in my future. What was interesting to observe was the amount of my coworkers that were unhappy living there. I guess they missed fast food burgers & MTV. I figured people spent a lot of money to vacation where I live. ANd I get to take my time and explore all over the place, not just the high tourist areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.