Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2023, 01:56 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
North Jersey which is the largest and most populated part of the state is anything but flat. The other 3 you mentioned, yea.
I know about the hill people and hills of West Jersey. Closer to NYC it seems pretty flat. like I'm aware of the Palisades but those sheer rock formations are pretty standard in NE. Wouldnt call 'em hills really. What is a good example of a hilly town in NJ? besides the Palisades-out of curiosity.

North Jersey is also one of the places in the Mid-Atlantic with more New England vernacular (triple deckers, capes, wooden homes in general).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 02:07 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,086,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I know about the hill people and hills of West Jersey. Closer to NYC it seems pretty flat. like I'm aware of the Palisades but those sheer rock formations are pretty standard in NE. Wouldnt call 'em hills really. What is a good example of a hilly town in NJ? besides the Palisades-out of curiosity.

North Jersey is also one of the places in the Mid-Atlantic with more New England vernacular (triple deckers, capes, wooden homes in general).
Too many towns to list. Lots of Morris, Bergen, Passaic, some of Essex (western part), Union(western part) are very hilly.

I know I've told the story of the hill people on here as I'm originally from that area but most people don't realize, North Jersey is all hills like southern NY State is too minus Long Island.

Just drive 287 North from Central Jersey and as you come up through Morris, Passaic and Bergen it's nothing but beautiful rolling hills and mountains. Well, mountains by NJ standards lol

Yes, some places closer next to the city are flatter but the majority of North Jersey is not. Even Paterson is quite hilly just FYI. You have Garrett Mountain Reservation, the Great Falls and more. This is why Jersey has the greatest views of NYC. And I'm not talking about closer in either. I'm talking 20-30 miles west, northwest and southwest of the city in many towns where you have skyline views of the city.

Old 03-03-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Too many towns to list. Lots of Morris, Bergen, Passaic, some of Essex (western part), Union(western part) are very hilly.

I know I've told the story of the hill people on here as I'm originally from that area but most people don't realize, North Jersey is all hills like southern NY State is too minus Long Island.

Just drive 287 North from Central Jersey and as you come up through Morris, Passaic and Bergen it's nothing but beautiful rolling hills and mountains. Well, mountains by NJ standards lol

Yes, some places closer next to the city are flatter but the majority of North Jersey is not. Even Paterson is quite hilly just FYI. You have Garrett Mountain Reservation, the Great Falls and more. This is why Jersey has the greatest views of NYC. And I'm not talking about closer in either. I'm talking 20-30 miles west, northwest and southwest of the city in many towns where you have skyline views of the city.
Yea I'm familiar with Patterson... and Bergen County to an extent. Paterson si built basically identically to a New England Mill City. But my main familiarity in Northern NJ is definitely Essex and Union. I know of some Hills in Essex a la Glen Ridge, Short Hills but not really that hilly. The other places you listed make sense intuitively.

Old 03-03-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I'm familiar with Patterson... and Bergen County to an extent. Paterson si built basically identically to a New England Mill City. But my main familiarity in Northern NJ is definitely Essex and Union. I know of some Hills in Essex a la Glen Ridge, Short Hills but not really that hilly. The other places you listed make sense intuitively.
Yeah, Paterson and a few of those Mass mill towns are all mentioned in History class when covering the Industrial revolution. Makes sense they're built very similar.

Right next to Short Hills Mall (like a mile or two away max) is South Mountain Reservation in West Orange. Borders the towns of Millburn, South Orange and Maplewood. Very hilly with very nice skyline views of the city. If you went to Short Hills then you probably drove on Rt 280 right there (directly past Newark, the Oranges, etc) and that's a steep climb/drop.

Old 03-03-2023, 03:27 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
I'm curious why "hilliness" is framed as a "New England" attribute, especially when the Mid-Atlantic is generally hillier outside of the coastal plain, in my experience, compared to New England.

Cape Cod is almost entirely comprised of Coastal Plain, so it's not like flatness doesn't exist in New England.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm curious why "hilliness" is framed as a "New England" attribute, especially when the Mid-Atlantic is generally hillier outside of the coastal plain, in my experience, compared to New England.

Cape Cod is almost entirely comprised of Coastal Plain, so it's not like flatness doesn't exist in New England.
I honestly wondered the same thing when driving to Boston a few times. CT has some nice, scenic rolling hills on 84/91, etc but I noticed not too long after I crossed into Mass that it was kinda flat for a while. At least that part.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:29 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
If I remember right, Connecticut is actually one of the hilliest states in the Union. Pennsylvania is up there too, and of course West Virginia.

By hilliest, I do not mean the tallest mountains. I mean which states has the most hills and slopes throughout the states, regardless of whether they are huge mountains or not.

What I am talking about is an old link I found that showed all the states from #50 hilliest (possibly West Virginia, I don't remember) to flattest #1 (probably Florida).

Connecticut was one of the hilliest states, in the high 40s. New York was pretty decent in the high 30s. If I remember right Delaware is the flattest state in the Northeast but the one that shocked me was North Carolina. Despite having the Great Smokies and other mountains, North Carolina overall is pretty flat.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:17 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If I remember right, Connecticut is actually one of the hilliest states in the Union. Pennsylvania is up there too, and of course West Virginia.

By hilliest, I do not mean the tallest mountains. I mean which states has the most hills and slopes throughout the states, regardless of whether they are huge mountains or not.

What I am talking about is an old link I found that showed all the states from #50 hilliest (possibly West Virginia, I don't remember) to flattest #1 (probably Florida).

Connecticut was one of the hilliest states, in the high 40s. New York was pretty decent in the high 30s. If I remember right Delaware is the flattest state in the Northeast but the one that shocked me was North Carolina. Despite having the Great Smokies and other mountains, North Carolina overall is pretty flat.
Hawaii is the hilliest, Alaska is the second-hilliest, and West Virginia is the third-hilliest. Pennsylvania, with 13,000,000 population, is the only state with at least 8,000,000 population among the 10 hilliest. The second-most populous among the 10 hilliest is Oregon, with 4,200,000 population.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:44 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Here's the map; confirms that New England and Mid-Atlantic states are both middling-to-high ranking for most hilly (or least flat) topography. VT, NH, WV, and PA lead the pack for the Eastern US.

https://www.disruptivegeo.com/2015/0...of-u-s-states/

Old 03-04-2023, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Paterson and a few of those Mass mill towns are all mentioned in History class when covering the Industrial revolution. Makes sense they're built very similar.

Right next to Short Hills Mall (like a mile or two away max) is South Mountain Reservation in West Orange. Borders the towns of Millburn, South Orange and Maplewood. Very hilly with very nice skyline views of the city. If you went to Short Hills then you probably drove on Rt 280 right there (directly past Newark, the Oranges, etc) and that's a steep climb/drop.
South Orange and Maplewood weren't Hilly or didnt feel it- I went all over those towns multiple times. NOw Montclair seemed hilly especially near Montclair State. I think I was on 280.. pretty sure of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.