Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2023, 10:46 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowery View Post
I'm so sorry, but there's something southern about Southern Jersey. It's difficult to explain what but it's there.
My Man! Yes, we need to grab a beer and discuss. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 11:00 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Of course there's something southern about Southern NJ, it's south of Northern NJ. The fact some people think New Jersey is "Southern" goes a long way to explain why the same folks think the D.C. area is "Southern". Everything that's just a slight bit different than New England is the South to them.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Of course there's something southern about Southern NJ, it's south of Northern NJ. The fact some people think New Jersey is "Southern" goes a long way to explain why the same folks think the D.C. area is "Southern". Everything that's just a slight bit different than New England is the South to them.
LA isn’t the south.

Naw but seriously some places in Jersey are at the same latitude as places in Virginia and below the Mason Dixon... you can feel it.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:52 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
LA isn’t the south.

Naw but seriously some places in Jersey are at the same latitude as places in Virginia and below the Mason Dixon... you can feel it.

Yes, Cape May Lighthouse is further south (by a tiny margin) than Dulles Airport in Virginia, but so are Colorado Springs and Sacramento and that doesn't make them Southern.

I mean that's the whole thing we're talking about in this thread. The Mid-Atlantic. The region between New England and the Southeast. Pretty much everyone here is in agreement that New Jersey is part of the Mid-Atlantic region and in particular for the Philly-influenced southern part it's pretty obvious.

And with regards to the South as a cultural meta-region, it's simple overlap..some parts of the Mid-Atlantic were seen culturally as part of the South, some weren't. New Jersey wasn't ever. Just like New Jersey never was considered a part of New England. It's always been a part of the "Middle".

But even in southern NJ your transport routes are more designed to take you to Philly or even New York than to D.C. and points south,. In fact, to go to D.C. from there you practically first have to head into the Philly suburbs. The fact no-one at any point thought it logical or profitable to build closer transport links to Maryland and Virginia from there is clearly illustrative of the lack of ties between the places.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:12 PM

To be clear NJ is as mid Atlantic as it gets. Doesn’t mean It can’t feel slightly Southern in a very small portion or in some towns. Especially to people from New England.

Old 03-16-2023, 05:22 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
To be clear NJ is as mid Atlantic as it gets. Doesn’t mean It can’t feel slightly Southern in a very small portion or in some towns. Especially to people from New England.
But what is a Southern "feel"?

That's something I've read about on this forum for years and years, yet there's no one who can truly articulate it.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
But what is a Southern "feel"?

That's something I've read about on this forum for years and years, yet there's no one who can truly articulate it.
Arterial roads all over, flat unadorned A&p style stores. Religious billboards, small farms visible form the street in an otherwise suburban environment, outwardly RED politics and signs/bumper stickers, large black population, a relative lack of environmentalism, southern accents, slower pace of life, car socover on the side of the house to keep the car cool, shot gun shack type residences like this, vast amount of treeless, cleared undeveloped land

In North Jersey they call South Jersey "Alabama"

Old 03-16-2023, 07:59 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Isn't it just a sub-region of the greater Northeast? I always think of the New England states to the far East then the Mid-Atlantic states being the next set of states West of there.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:06 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Isn't it just a sub-region of the greater Northeast? I always think of the New England states to the far East then the Mid-Atlantic states being the next set of states West of there.
I think the problem with calling it just a sub Northeast region is the overlap of where North and South bleed into each other (IE Maryland, NOVA, etc.) and then it becomes an endless circular discussion like a dog chasing its own tail.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:25 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Mid-Atlantic almost doesn’t exist for me. I can’t really think of any places I would actually call mid-Atlantic, even though it’s supposed to exist. It’s the Northeast starting from north of DC, and the Southeast south of DC, in my mind. So maybe it’s just DC that’s the mid-Atlantic? It’s perhaps the weirdest geographical area in the US, to my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.