Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2023, 09:36 AM

1,023 posts, read 912,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lol if you're gonna say nothing is southern like.. I cant but shrug. This is the same thing that happens with Maryland people. People from the accused region say "what is southern?" you list a bunch of things you think are southern and they go: "none of that is southern"

I literally laugh aloud because its like-idk feels like a joke. Why even ask? It's whatever you say guys, honestly its not a big deal. Just dont ask me this question again lol.
They understand when they attempt to justify separating NOVA from "anything south of Fredericksburg."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 09:41 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
I should say a lot of suburban an exurban. Like if you look at New Jersey has a great deal of suburban exurban and even some rural black populations. It's a different set up than the Black population in Essex County which going off population density and proximity to Newark and NYC really is more of an urban black population. Basically no underdeveloped land, tons of rail and bus connections, tons of apartments and multifamily homes...pretty traditionally urban area in feel even in the more suburban areas like Maplewood imo.

Things don't have to be exclusively southern for it to be generally more of a southern characteristic. There's nuance. Were all in agreement New Jersey is a northern state, but theres a feel to parts of South Jersey... I think a fair amount of NJ is below the Mason Dixon and it shouldn't be considered so left-field that it might have some southern vibes.

Again- they dont call it "Alabama " for NO reason. I've never heard anyone in Mass call Western Mass Alabama..
Southern vibes? For sure. Every state has that, even here on the west coast. But a southern state or "the south?" Naw. Not DC.

Also, not sure if you knew this, but a lot of people refer to Pennsylvania as Penntucky and Vancouver, WA as Vantucky.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:48 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Southern vibes? For sure. Every state has that, even here on the west coast. But a southern state or "the south?" Naw. Not DC.

Also, not sure if you knew this, but a lot of people refer to Pennsylvania as Penntucky and Vancouver, WA as Vantucky.
Are we talking about DC or Jersey right now? DC you can call southern IMO. It's not a hard rule but you could say it's Southern and Mid-Atlantic, Im not calling DC Northern really.

New Jersey is a northern state, but it's one of if not the most southern northern states along with Pennsyltucky. And as someone from a far northern state- yes, I can tell.

But I also say parts of far northern NJ feel more like New England.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:14 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Quote:
Lol if you're gonna say nothing is southern like.. I cant but shrug. This is the same thing that happens with Maryland people. People from the accused region say "what is southern?" you list a bunch of things you think are southern and they go: "none of that is southern"

I literally laugh aloud because its like-idk feels like a joke. Why even ask? It's whatever you say guys, honestly its not a big deal. Just dont ask me this question again lol.
I mean arterial roads, farms, Republicans, Christians, African-Americans. It does feel like you are just swinging broadly because these things aren’t really Southern-only traits. If it feels like Alabama compared to Newark or Boston, that might say more about Newark and Boston than anything. I’ll be honest though, I’ve never spent any time in Jersey south of Manasquan, so maybe you are right. But maybe is something more than A&P style stores, whatever that means.

Last edited by Heel82; 03-17-2023 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-17-2023, 10:21 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade;65018177
Things don't have to be exclusively southern for it to be generally more of a southern characteristic. There's nuance. Were all in agreement New Jersey is a northern state, but theres a [I
feel [/i]to parts of South Jersey... I think a fair amount of NJ is below the Mason Dixon and it shouldn't be considered so left-field that it might have some southern vibes. I recently went to Paulsboro for the first time..it gave me a transitional vibe. Its obviously not Dixie but I just noticed tons of vacant lots in otherwise SFH areas, suburban poverty, fried chicken spots, super flat, a lack of pine trees, idk. It was just a feeling.
That's fair. I don't disagree that there's a pretty different vibe in that area of NJ compared to, say, NNJ, but it's possible to characterize it as its own thing.

For me, I think the biggest factor that ties extreme Southern NJ together with the South is the Coastal Plain, which really does explain the topography, climate, vegetative differences, and even architectural overlap in some parts.

It just so happens that the Coastal Plain is overwhemingly Southern in terms of location, but it of course does make its way into NJ into basically its entire Southern half. But even with that overlap, I still observe strong Northern vibes, given things like strong Italian-American heritage, a more post-industrial feel in parts, and still plenty of colonial Northeast architecture, like in Hammonton, Millville, or Bridgeton.

If anything, that area of SJ is really reminds me most of Delaware.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:28 AM

But also what is the inference that the South doesn’t have pine trees?

Old 03-17-2023, 11:58 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
But also what is the inference that the South doesn’t have pine trees?
Northern pines smh cmon don’t do this

Old 03-17-2023, 12:19 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times
I agree with a lot of what is being written from both perspectives and I get what BBMM is saying. Both sides are right in several ways.

Double clicking on this topic, North Jersey vs South Jersey is a real thing. And has been for a long time. I had a whole, well thought out post written on it this morning that got deleted when my laptop crashed ^%%^*.

It's more pronounced, scrutinized and debated than those other mid-atlantic states mentioned. It's much more than just a feel thing whereas those other states that's where the rivalry or differences tend to end. In NJ it's been a big deal for a very long time.

A lot of state traditions are based on this and so on. Furthermore, NJ Tpke highway signs all over specifically say "North Jersey" or "South Jersey". No other state mentioned has signs that say "Western MD" or "Eastern MD" etc etc like NJ makes sure to call out.

None of those other states mentioned make such hard delineations within their state. There's a lot of reasons that lend to this I believe but I don't want to type them all out again here so I'll stop lol.

It's a Jersey thing!

Old 03-17-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Northern pines smh cmon don’t do this
I honestly don’t know what this means? Because there are different pine trees up north?

Edit: Looking at a map, I guess the Virginia Pine is found in South Jersey and points south, while the white pine is found in North Jersey and points north. I honestly have never heard of this as a south/north dilineation, but I guess if it can exist for kudzu…

Old 03-17-2023, 02:55 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I honestly don’t know what this means? Because there are different pine trees up north?

Edit: Looking at a map, I guess the Virginia Pine is found in South Jersey and points south, while the white pine is found in North Jersey and points north. I honestly have never heard of this as a south/north dilineation, but I guess if it can exist for kudzu…
Yea, I don't get it as the south is covered in pines. True, the Loblolly might not be the triangle shaped Christmas tree style many think of but they are pines non the less. And they are all over the coastal south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.