Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2023, 03:30 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post

Edit: Looking at a map, I guess the Virginia Pine is found in South Jersey and points south, while the white pine is found in North Jersey and points north. I honestly have never heard of this as a south/north dilineation, but I guess if it can exist for kudzu…
Exactly. This is what I’m talking about- there’s a lot of small things I can just tell having been up and down the east coast a bunch of times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Yea, I don't get it as the south is covered in pines. True, the Loblolly might not be the triangle shaped Christmas tree style many think ofbut they are pines non the less. And they are all over the coastal south.
That’s the rub. That’s the difference.

Old 03-17-2023, 03:57 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I honestly don’t know what this means? Because there are different pine trees up north?

Edit: Looking at a map, I guess the Virginia Pine is found in South Jersey and points south, while the white pine is found in North Jersey and points north. I honestly have never heard of this as a south/north dilineation, but I guess if it can exist for kudzu…

Yeah me neither. I've seen palm trees in Seattle. I wonder if that makes it a part of the south now?

Old 03-17-2023, 05:24 PM

327 posts, read 222,937 times
For the record, I know a middle-aged, Italian-American woman who was born and raised in Wildwood, NJ, and she is quintessentially “Northeastern” in terms of disposition and temperament.

Old 03-17-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah me neither. I've seen palm trees in Seattle. I wonder if that makes it a part of the south now?
Yes, let's compare natural native tree habitats to imported plants that are up for a small portion of the year for the sake of argument. Dense and disingenuous. They plant Palm Trees in the Boston Public Garden..

Also- when did Palm Trees indicate the Southeastern US and not the Tropics or West Coast?

Old 03-17-2023, 06:07 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yes, let's compare natural native tree habitats to imported plants that are up for a small portion of the year for the sake of argument. Dense and disingenuous. They plant Palm Trees in the Boston Public Garden..

Also- when did Palm Trees indicate the Southeastern US and not the Tropics or West Coast?
Palmetto looks like palms. I don’t see much of either when on the interstates, but it’s a fair delineation in some ways.

Old 03-17-2023, 06:21 PM

327 posts, read 222,937 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Palmetto looks like palms. I don’t see much of either when on the interstates, but it’s a fair delineation in some ways.
Within the Atlantic Coastal Plain, Sussex County, Delaware is the northern extent of some characteristically Southern tree species, such as bald cypress and loblolly pine, for example. North of that area, forested areas have a different look. Even the New Jersey Pine Barrens, which are not that far away from southern Delaware, have pine trees that look more similar to what you would find on Cape Cod or Long Island.

Old 03-17-2023, 07:24 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,686,133 times
Quote:

To my knowledge, palm trees are not native to the west coast. I’m not disagreeing with your position, just pointing out that palm trees aren’t exactly natural in Los Angeles (or SOCAl or Arizona), which is counterintuitive seeing as how they are now ubiquitous there.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:16 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Quote:
Exactly. This is what I’m talking about- there’s a lot of small things I can just tell having been up and down the east coast a bunch of times
But your actual quote is South Jersey lacked pine trees, ie it shares that in common with the south. But the South is chock full of pine forests, from the coast to the mountains. The whole discussion is bizarre to be honest. I’ve never heard people using pine species distribution maps to figure out the Southerness of a place.

But to go down this rabbit hole, wiki tells me of the NJ Pine Barrens in Southern Jersey, links it to the NY and Massachusetts Pine Barrens. Further it says the most common tree therein is the pitch pine which is mostly found in the southern part of the Northeast though its range extends up and down the Appalachians. So even this bizarre pine discussion leads us back to where we began, the northeast.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:49 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Palmettos are Palms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.