Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 08:00 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Pittsburgh is located in the Mid Atlantic. You cannot disconnect Pittsburgh from Pennsylvania or the Mid Atlantic. It’s not that difficult to understand.
No need to be condescending about it, and you're assuming everyone else agrees with you to include all of PA. You just happen have a different opinion about it. It's actually easy to question since Pittsburgh is 350+ miles to the Atlantic and deep in the Appalachian regions, not far from one of the Great Lakes. As other posters have mentioned Mid-Atlantic is a bit of a nebulous region. What is it about Pittsburgh that is so "Mid Atlantic". Would you call Western NY & Buffalo (a Great Lakes City) the Mid Atlantic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 08:10 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
No need to be condescending about it, and you're assuming everyone else agrees with you to include all of PA. You just happen have a different opinion about it. It's actually easy to question since Pittsburgh is 350+ miles to the Atlantic and deep in the Appalachian regions, not far from one of the Great Lakes. As other posters have mentioned Mid-Atlantic is a bit of a nebulous region. What is it about Pittsburgh that is so "Mid Atlantic". Would you call Western NY & Buffalo (a Great Lakes City) the Mid Atlantic?
Repped. Everyone needs to relax and stop the name-calling. Let's be civil. It's a discussion board, no?

Old 02-21-2023, 12:37 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
New York down to MD were historically considered the mid Atlantic
Right. They are coastal but also have the influence of major rivers and estuaries -- more prominently than New England and the south.

Old 02-21-2023, 12:42 PM

1,235 posts, read 944,208 times
Always: New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
Often: Delaware, Maryland, and Washington DC.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:24 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
New York down to MD were historically considered the mid Atlantic
Historically it was New York down to Delaware. Maryland began to be tacked on sometime in the 1800s, followed by Virginia.

Now some people are trying to put North Carolina in the Mid-Atlantic. Eventually the Mid-Atlantic will go all the way to Key West lol.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:59 PM

1,023 posts, read 912,972 times
I personally include Richmond and Hampton roads.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:17 PM

679 posts, read 412,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yes, for sure. Pittsburgh really does take on all of the characteristics of a Mid-Atlantic city. And that's really not well understood by most folks not terribly familiar with the region or Pennsylvania more specifically.
I think Philadelphia, Wilmington or Trenton fit the bill much more. Pittsburgh is renowned for its heavy Appalachian influence alongside Upper Midwest/Great Lakes.

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 02-21-2023 at 03:09 PM..

Old 02-21-2023, 02:20 PM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
It's a complex subject. Every federal agency and service has their own regional maps. Most of them do not even have a Mid-Atlantic in it, instead choosing to divvy up the East Coast between North and South. The ones that do can't even agree on a definition.

If you looked at a map just for businesses and institutions that use Mid-Atlantic in their names, I think you'd find its usage actually peaks in the D.C. metro, but is strongest pretty much between the Hampton Roads area and Central PA but you can still find it being done all the way down into Georgia and all the way into upstate NY.

I personally would thus opt for VA, MD, D.C., DE, PA as the core Mid-Atlantic region with NY/NJ and the Carolinas as sort of an expanded zone of influence.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:22 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Like people consider NY Mid-Atlantic here. I don’t think I ever in my real life heard NY called Mid-Atlantic. And while maybe Pennsylvania is a Mid-Atlantic state, I really have a hard time considering Pittsburgh a Mid-Atlantic city. To each their own though.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:03 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
As a native from NC I’ve never heard NC as being Mid Atlantic, at least growing up here. I was taught Va as being the most southern Mid Atlantic state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.