Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 05:36 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Lodged between New England and the South on the East Coast, the Mid Atlantic region is rather ambiguous in how it is defined and where its boundaries are. The identity of the region isn't as solid as New England and the tedium of the North/South divide also comes into play. It straddles the area between NYC and DC, but there are only three states that seem to fit within it as a whole; New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland. But nobody would really call Buffalo or Pittsburgh the Mid Atlantic. State lines don't fit well in this region

NOVA is endlessly debatable and most of Pennsylvania would be split. How much of New York State would you call Mid Atlantic (basically how far up the Hudson)? Beyond the suburban counties of Philly, how much of PA? Would you call any part of Virginia Mid Atlantic? Geographically it's right at the center of the East Coast, but culturally and historically it's Southern. The Appalachians also bleed into the region, making it a big crossroads of identities rather than a well defined region.

What defines Mid Atlantic to you? How would the characteristics of Mid Atlantic differ from a region like the New England states? I see it as a big overlap of North and South, but how far south does the Mid Atlantic reach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 05:57 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Mid-Atlantic doesn’t mean anything to me. If I had to say, I’d go DC, Baltimore, Philly metro areas. But really I’d just say it’s a nebulous term used mostly by people that live there to self-describe a region most just see as the East Coast, BoWash corridor, or the North.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:01 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
The definition most seen and agreed upon seems to be Delaware, Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina. It's a subset of broader terms and not meant to be wide-ranging or hyper-inclusive. It also tends to be descriptive of the coastal areas of those states/DC where the vibe is similar.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:18 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
North Carolina is more southern than mid-Atlantic

Old 02-21-2023, 06:35 AM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
New York down to MD were historically considered the mid Atlantic

Old 02-21-2023, 06:36 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
New York down to MD were historically considered the mid Atlantic
I'd also include Virginia, but otherwise this.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:37 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
North Carolina is more southern than mid-Atlantic
Yeah, agreed.

But to answer OP question -- Mid Atlantic feels like a generic term but I think people have a hard time defining certain areas of the East Coast especially some parts of the Acela corridor. Yes, DC definitely has southern elements to its culture but it's much more fast-pace than Raleigh or Columbia, etc. There's some northern elements to it but that doesn't make it the north so Mid Atlantic is a term to try to bridge that gap, I suppose.

But in the last few years people have gotten carried away, anywhere south of Fredericksburg/anywhere outside of NoVa is not Mid Atlantic... you start getting into the Southern territory beyond that point IMO.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:44 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
In historic terms, the Mid-Atlantic was conceived as simply a holdover from the "Middle Colonies," which comprised the non-New England Northeast--New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware.

I think in more modern times, an understanding of the "Mid-Atlantic" incorporated more points south, with Washington, DC as another focal point, to include Maryland, DC, Virginia, and the eastern part of West Virginia (and more recently, but less commonly, North Carolina).

It's certainly true the boundaries are more nebulous than, say, New England. But in today's terms its bound together most cohesively by the southern two-thirds of the Northeast Corridor south and west of New England.

This region is more temperate climatologically, historically hosted more intense industrialization (i.e., second wave of American manufacturing after the first wave in locales around Boston) and was more religiously, economically, and politically diverse than New England. I think that characterization really still stands to this day.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:50 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Lodged between New England and the South on the East Coast, the Mid Atlantic region is rather ambiguous in how it is defined and where its boundaries are. The identity of the region isn't as solid as New England and the tedium of the North/South divide also comes into play. It straddles the area between NYC and DC, but there are only three states that seem to fit within it as a whole; New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland. But nobody would really call Buffalo or Pittsburgh the Mid Atlantic. State lines don't fit well in this region

NOVA is endlessly debatable and most of Pennsylvania would be split. How much of New York State would you call Mid Atlantic (basically how far up the Hudson)? Beyond the suburban counties of Philly, how much of PA? Would you call any part of Virginia Mid Atlantic? Geographically it's right at the center of the East Coast, but culturally and historically it's Southern. The Appalachians also bleed into the region, making it a big crossroads of identities rather than a well defined region.

What defines Mid Atlantic to you? How would the characteristics of Mid Atlantic differ from a region like the New England states? I see it as a big overlap of North and South, but how far south does the Mid Atlantic reach?
Pittsburgh is located in the Mid Atlantic. You cannot disconnect Pittsburgh from Pennsylvania or the Mid Atlantic. It’s not that difficult to understand.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:58 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Pittsburgh is located in the Mid Atlantic. You cannot disconnect Pittsburgh from Pennsylvania or the Mid Atlantic. It’s not that difficult to understand.
Yes, for sure. Pittsburgh really does take on all of the characteristics of a Mid-Atlantic city. And that's really not well understood by most folks not terribly familiar with the region or Pennsylvania more specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.