Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 03:57 PM

4,859 posts, read 450,201 times

Advertisements

Hilo, Hawaii. On the Big Island.
-average of 143 inches of rain per year.
-rain on 275 days per year on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 04:41 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
Hilo, Hawaii. On the Big Island.
-average of 143 inches of rain per year.
-rain on 275 days per year on average.
Paradise.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:58 AM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
The one really rainy city I lived in for a few years was Erie, PA. And what do you know, it's on this list I found on the internet as the seventh rainiest city in the US.

https://www.weatherstationadvisor.co...n%20per%20year.

I will say on many summer days when it wasn't rainy, wow, it was just so lush and green. I did love summers there and interestingly enough summers are dry season. One November, though, it seemed like it rained every day of that month except maybe three days, and we started calling it "Dreary Erie". Erie is just two hours from Buffalo, NY which is know to get lots of rain and lots of snow.

I always think of Seattle, WA as being a rainy place too. On that internet list with link above, it didn't make the list, but did get an honorable mention.

I get Hilo making the #1 spot (all those beautiful tropical flowers are grown there). I've only been to Hilo once and yes it was raining the whole time and I thought about someone maybe dreaming of living in Hawaii (Ohau is known or perfect weather) or going to school there and surprise -- you get stuck in Hilo.
Interesting list and it appears that Great Lake area that get Lake effect snow are prone towards getting a lot of rain on average. Syracuse is on the list, but I’m thinking that other places like cities in western MI like Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo or Sault Ste. Marie in the Upper Peninsula also get relatively high rain totals.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:40 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting list and it appears that Great Lake area that get Lake effect snow are prone towards getting a lot of rain on average. Syracuse is on the list, but I’m thinking that other places like cities in western MI like Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo or Sault Ste. Marie in the Upper Peninsula also get relatively high rain totals.
That list totals all days of precipitation, not just rain days. For example, the 172 "rain" days in Syracuse is really 101 days with rain and 71 days with snow.

Most Great Lakes snow days are "dry" snow that doesn't melt on surfaces or people, and can be brushed off (or shoveled). To me dry snow is preferable to rain or wet snow when doing things outdoors. And yes, lake effect does result in more precipitation during the cooler months of the year when air temperatures are below lake water temperature, but the lakes also produce the opposite effect on warm days as the colder lake surface inhibits cloud formation and rain.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:30 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
I like rain, just not the storms that come along with it, and I don't wanna have to move to the PNW to get it, even tho cool, dreary weather is my kinda day. Better than snow/ice. Nice topic.

Old 04-08-2023, 11:36 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I like rain, just not the storms that come along with it, and I don't wanna have to move to the PNW to get it, even tho cool, dreary weather is my kinda day. Better than snow/ice. Nice topic.
The only places close to the dreariness of the PNW (outside Alaska) is in the great lakes region but still not quite as dire as the PNW. Some examples:

Forks, Wa: ~1500 sunshine hours/year
Bellingham, Wa: ~1800 sunshine hrs/year
Seattle: ~2100 sunshine hrs/year

Closest outside PNW:
Pittsburg: ~2000 hrs/year
Syracuse and Buffalo, NY: ~ 2100 hrs/year

You can find this info under climate data on wikipedia for each of the cities listed above. Nothing is going to come close to rainy day numbers/amount for coastal Washington cities though (again except SE Alaska)...Forks is like 210 rainy days/100" of rain annually for example. I live in Olympia btw....163 rainy days/50" annually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.